“A Big Disappointment”

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Jamestown
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“A Big Disappointment”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

After a stay two years ago I was looking forward to another restful night in an old-fashioned motel. I had trouble locking and unlocking the door. The inside thumb latch kept falling off the handle. In case of fire or tornado I could have been trapped. There was no ceiling light; all light came from two feeble table lamps. There was no phone in the room (for calling for help), nor clock. The sign advertised rooms starting from $39.99, but no such rooms were available. I paid $65 including tax for a tiny room. There was no sound barrier between rooms. On the other hand, the room was very clean and recently renovated. The motel was convenient to freeway and to stores and restaurants. It was free from road noise.

Room Tip: Try another motel. There are many in the same area.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Prakash T, Owner at Jamestown Motel, responded to this review, 11 April 2016
We appreciate your time and response. We have replaced any faulty door locks (thanks for bringing this to our attention) and each room is equipped with a clock and phone with the availability of a wake-up call. If a phone or clock is not present please let us know.

Since this review we have also begun using brighter lights. Not all rooms have ceiling lights. However, if a guest requests a room with a ceiling light we will accommodate them any time we can.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My grandmother and I came from Idaho.We were on our way to Green bay, Wisconsin. I thought this was going to be an easy trip. Drive one day stop at a motel/hotel and drive the next and arrive. This is not what happened at all. The drive was longer than I expected. We got tired of driving very quickly we called it the 4 hour butt! because our butt fell asleep if we drove for four hours straight. We stopped in Bozeman, Montana. We had stopped to eat and decided to not go any further. We still needed to find a place to stay. We looked around and there were only expensive places to stay. My grandmother was not happy. We ended up staying in Motel 6. There we went off on another journey into North Dakota. We drove all day till we got to Marlin's family restaurant. We pulled out the lap top and searched the web for places to stay in Jamestown. Jamestown motel popped right up! It was cheap and the rating was OK, so we got a booking. I was unsure of it at first because it was dirty on the outside. Then we went to the office and the guy was very nice. My grandmother was unsure if they had any of our information. Next thing you know he had everything set and ready to go! We were in the room in no time. The room was very nice and clean. The bed was so comfortable! This is one of the best Motels/hotels i have been in.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Pat F
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I booked this motel based partially on the other Tripadvisor reviews and the price, I'm still wondering if some of the other reviews were for a different motel. This motel is shaped in a U and most of the rooms are on ground level and you park right in front of your door. It's outside appearance is old and run down. The owner/manger was very nice and friendly, but what worried me was the sign by the front desk that said "No Refunds." When we walked into our room the first thing that hit us was the smell. This is an old motel that people have smoked in for years and you can tell that a thorough cleaning of the carpet, walls and drapes was not done in our room since it went smoke free. The housekeeping staff had used some kind of room deodorant to cover up the smell, and it had a very strong odor. It took at least 7 hours for the "smell" to go away enough so that we could sleep. The upholstered arm chair sitting right by the bed was filled with a bad odor so I threw the bedspread over it to cover up the smell. We actually went to the local Wal-Mart to buy a blanket to use on the bed, because the one there was old and smelled bad. The bed was actually comfortable. The room had a small refrigerator and microwave which was nice. Moral of the story, we should have walked away and found another place to stay, but we would have lost our $164.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Prakash T, Owner at Jamestown Motel, responded to this review, 11 April 2016
I am sorry you were not happy. However, since that time we totally remodeled and have including new carpet in each room.

We have always taken great pride in cleanliness. In fact we annually rate at 100% on the North Dakota Health inspection. If anyone ever finds a room lacking in cleanliness we would immediately like to know and correct the issue at that time.

Travellers are raving about these Jamestown hotels

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This has about everything that you need. The bed was comfortable & the price was right. It was a little dated but that was alright with me. The breakfast consisted of 3 cereals, milk, juice and cookies in the small foyer of the office - again I didn't mind that either.

Room Tip: Not flashy, but a good value.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I and my son came from Canada , We went through from New York to California , I stopped by many hotels or motels, here is my mostly love it , price is good, room is clean, the services was so nicely . I had one 2 beds room first time, was 59.99$,but the wifi was weak coz the room was little far from the centre that what I was thinking, the owner changed other room for me, was cost 100$, but he didn't charged me. I'm really happy with this motel.if u Guys pass by North Dakota, here will be your good choice!

• Stayed August 2013
Mars Hill, Maine, United States
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed here for two days, room was very clean, quiet, bed was very comfortable, great stay and saved a bunch! :) Air conditioner was great, 100 today!! Will stay here again when in the area. good food in walking distance, ice cream across the street.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Very clean and good place for staying,professional management and stuff and the most pleasant thing -good price.Fresh coffee in the morning and good location-a lot of cafes and museums nearby(Buffalo museum and Stutsman County Memorial museum)!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo