“Great base for experiencing the real Jamestown.”

Gladstone Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Jamestown
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Skip that ugly cluster of hotels by the highway and head down to historic, downtown Jamestown! Even if you are just heading through, the Gladstone is the perfect home base. A very brief walk will take you to the farmers market (Saturday mornings), a cafe that offers great breakfast and lunch fare to stay or go, and the best restaurant in Jamestown. Even if you are short on time, these will make you glad for a break from the ubiquitous fast food of the road. When we are crossing the country in a hurry, we always try to allow for a couple extra hours here in this little downtown kept vibrant by an energetic set of entrepreneurs. So we have stayed in several of the Gladstone specialty suites over the years. The hotel is clean, well maintained, with a very pleasant, small swimming pool (not always open). Rooms are beautifully appointed, and feature mini-refrigerators, hair dryers, etc. Specialty suites provide lots of extra room and sleeping space -- perfect for traveling families. Some rooms open directly onto a quiet pool area.

Room Tip: Ask about their specialty suites -- spacious themed rooms great for families. Our favourite is the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Portageur
phyllist7714, Public Relations Manager at Gladstone Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Wow!! Talk about a confidence boost not just for the Gladstone, but for the city of Jamestown as a whole! It is so great to hear that you enjoyed your time in Jamestown, and your stay at the Gladstone Inn and Suites. Downtown Jamestown does tend to get neglected in the flow of tourism, so it's great that you gave credit where credit is definitely due. We hope to see you again in the near future!

There are newer reviews for Gladstone Inn & Suites

Reviewed 8 October 2012

We were on our way north out of Jamestown but the weather made us turn around, so we stopped at the first hotel we came across -- the Gladstone. It was a Wednesday night about 11pm when we arrived. I asked for a room, and the receptionist said it would be a roo with two queen beds. I agreed and she started to make the reservation. I then asked her if there were any rooms with just one king bed -- sine it was just my wife and I. With a twinkle in her eye, the receptionist basically said, "yeah, I think we could do that for you." Free upgrade just for asking!

We walked into our room and wow -- what a pleasant surprise! Living room, bedroom each with their own fireplace and flat screen. Newly remodeled. Whirlpool. Beautiful themed decor. We were sad we could only be there for one night!

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to ask for a nicer room -- maybe you'll get it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

We are so very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Gladstone Inn and Suites. We do like to upgrade people every now and then, and you just happened to be one of those lucky individual's :) Thank you for taking the time to post a review. So many times, we tend to just hear from people when things didn't go as well as expected, so it's refreshing to read positive comments. We hope you come stay with us again in the future :)

Reviewed 1 October 2012

I stayed here because my friends had rented the large conference room for a wedding I was attending in Jamestown. The room was reminiscent of Motel 6 in the 70's, including the bathroom size and decor. It smelled of petroleum and the floors were heavily stained. The room was like a dungeon, dark, and terrible. The walls were thin and the couple next door were having an argument all night, as well as the TV turned up as loud as it could go. I went to the pool area, since I paid 110 dollars for a night in this dump, and there were several children there unattended, jumping in a 4 foot deep pool, then jumping into the Jaccuzzi pool adjacent. I went to complain and was told "Well, the pool was rented for a birthday party, and we can't do anything about it", I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy. The front desk clerk at check-in was a young man of questionable hygiene who was wearing a huge "Playboy" chain around his neck and answered my questions in monosyllables. This was EASILY the WORST hotel experience I have had this year. There are no grounds around the hotel, it is all parking lot, as the hotel takes up a block in the middle of the town. DON'T STAY HERE. And don't eat or drink here, either, I was charged 6.50 for a drink in the lounge, NOT a specialty drink.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2012

The Gladstone hotel was our last option when we pulled up in the wee hours after a long day of driving. We could not find a place in North Dakota as oil patch workers are filling up the rooms. The room we stayed in was dated, and the bathroom smelled like sour urine. I was too tired to ask for a different room as we arrived at 4:30 am. Would not recommend this scary place. However front desk staff did give us a discount on the room - we were there for less than 9 hours.

• Stayed: August 2012
phyllist7714, Public Relations Manager at Gladstone Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on the quality of your stay here with us at the Gladstone Inn and Suites. I'm very sorry that you didn't have all that enjoyable of a stay. You're correct in saying that hotel rooms are hard to come by in North Dakota due to the oil field activity. We are in the process of remodeling and updating our rooms, and it unfortunately sounds as if the room you stayed in was not one that has been done yet. As far as the urine smell, had it been brought to the attention of the desk clerk, they would have gladly came to freshen up your room or upgrade you to something more accommodating. Seeing as you arrived so early in the morning, I understand why you just chose to get some sleep and not bother with moving.
Once again, I thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention so that we can take the appropriate measures of fixing these problems. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the staff at the Gladstone Inn and Suites.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We stayed at the Gladstone Inn and Suites for a convention that was being held at the hotel. When I made the reservations just out of curiosity I asked how much a suite would be. It ended up being like 20 bucks more. I thought why not. So we got a suite. Ended up with the ocean view suite. It had fish on the walls and was pool side. My 2 year loved it. I wish the pool was a little bit more kid friendly for small children. Was just to deep for her. It was an older hotel and needed some updating in the hallways but it was fairly clean. The food in the dining area was actually pretty good. The food was hot and didn't take to long to get. The service was decent. I was a little annoyed that the servers sat and watch us eat like we were inconveniencing them. I have worked food service and understand the its late I want to go home factor. But we were not there late or long. We were there at normal feeding hours. My one complaint would be the walls are paper thin. We had some loud neighbors that had Sex all night long. So loud they woke both kids. Thankfully they did not ask what was going on. I was traveling with my older sister she did not seem impressed either. Needless to say when we stay again in January with our whole family I will get the connecting room and pray we don't have any neighbors that have loud sex all night.

Room Tip: If you have kids get a themed suite they will think its tons of fun.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank hmac1985
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I found the room very dark, bathroom sink area very small. Bathroom needed some reno's done. But we had the princess suite, and my little girls loved it, so for them it was worth it. Would do it for the kids because of the theme, it was ok for us too, but for myself I would pick another hotel next time.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Came in after 1 AM - all the hotels by I-94 were full. Very clean room; it was clear it was freshly remodeled (room next door was in the process). Decided to stay a second night, as work stayed in town and it was a nice place. I would stay here again for that price.

• Stayed: June 2012