“Well worth it”

Ranveli Beach Resort
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed there for about 2 months while in Sri Lanka and I would recommend it to anyone. The pool is really nice, it's about 4 feet/1.2 meters deep all around except for the kiddie pool. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They often went out of their way to get things for us. I was told that the management pays well and only keeps the people who are good. It shows. Free Internet - try to get that in any other place in the area. We stayed in room #2 so we had wireless in our room since the router was right below us. I can't say for sure if it's the same in the other rooms, I never went in there. My wife and I were able to work from the hotel room half a world away from home. In the pictures above it is the pink room but they painted over the pink with brown. It looks a lot better now. You may have read elsewhere that the trains are very noisy but if you want to be anywhere near the shore you will have to deal with that and it really wasn't all that bad. They come by during the morning rush hour and you can hear them but I had no trouble ignoring the sound and went right back to sleep when I did hear them. The owner is a really nice guy, he even took us out to the German restaurant a couple of kilometres north of the hotel one day. The place is within walking distance of the main road so you can go to the supermarket and such. The beach in that area is good for walking on and playing in the sand if you have kids. Too many rocks for swimming in my opinion. The food they serve is not bad overall and priced well. They do make a killer breaded chicken and fried rice/noodles. The rates are pretty cheap for the area and the owner is always looking to make improvements. Looking for a really good hotel not too far from everything in Colombo for a good price? Go to Ranveli.

Room Tip: Rooms 1, 2, & 3 are excellent
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alan D
RANVELIMOUNTLAVINIA, Owner at Ranveli Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Six of us stayed here at Ranveli Beach Resort for three nights. Since it is located almost on the beach (actually not on the beach, but just across the railway track, perfect location!), rooms are a bit dark and wet. However, it is nicely clean and comfortable stay once you used to it.

I got a horrible stomach ach on my arrival, since I got something wrong from a local food court at the Katunayaka Airport, and two of us also got the same trouble during the stay. Every staff worried about us and provided us local remedies... Lime juice and tea with lime. I was worrying about our health problem a lot, but their nice friendly services really helped me to relax and cope.

Ranveli Beach Resort also provided us nice comfortable transportation to Dambulla with reasonable charges. It was a sudden request since three of us wanted to rest a little while on the departure day because of the health problem, and we missed our group bus which was going to Dambulla.

Anyway, we very much appreciated their services, and this is the place to get the Sri Lankan hospitality! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
RANVELIMOUNTLAVINIA, Front Office Manager at Ranveli Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I went to Ranveli on my friends recommendation for my honeymoon. Being into travel industry my wife expected me to plan everything myself rather than looking for packages. Ranveli came to us by luck and i must say it didn't disappoint us. My wife is very happy of not having a television in our cottage so she got an undivided attention :D. The Cottage had a main entrance and a back door entrance opening to the beach. The food at the restaurant was fabulous. The hotel had its own beach and there were hardly any people crossing by. The evenings were amazing at the swimming pool, post dinner entertainment, sports activities, etc made us not leave the resort for 3 days. I would recommend Ranveli and even would like to go back for the generous and genuine hospitality that we experienced there.
P.S : Also dont miss the candle light dinner on the on the lake for a very nominal price.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Having stayed at many different hotels in Sri Lanka, I enjoyed my stay at Ranveli the most due to the friendly atmosphere and trustworthy staff who were always willing to help by going out of their way to make me feel right at home. A special mention to the outstanding management team who made all guests feel welcome.

I highly recommend Ranveli to all travelers.

Room Tip: The family rooms are very comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
RANVELIMOUNTLAVINIA, Manager at Ranveli Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Ranveli Beach Resort in Mount Lavinia, Sri Lanka is a medium size hotel located meters from the beach. The hotel offers a range of room options to fit any budget.

Having stayed at a number of different hotels in Sri Lanka, I have to mention that the experience at Ranveli was second to none with a quality of service that surpasses the standards of some of the high end accommodation options.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and their level of hospitality did not fade as the days and weeks of my visit passed. I would highly recommend this hotel for individuals and families as it really did feel like a home away from home. The staff and management were always accommodating and the environment safe and enclosed.

Ishara, Australia

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and ask whether one of the family rooms are available. It's worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Ishara S

We are so happy to hear that your stay in our Beach resort was great .
Thank-you so much hope to see you again

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I've been to this place more than five times now. and still am looking forward to come back, Soon ;)
I've Been to other beach hotels around this area, truthfully, this place has one the best staff that ive seen. friendly, trustworthy, responsible and most of all Punctual.
the way they are upgrading the place, i really like.
Above all, even though this time they were undergoing renovation, the service is till the same :D
Im from Maldives and i work in this field im really satisfied *Two thumbs up*

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Amyn_Zenith

Reviewed 14 August 2013

So I was reading the rest of the reviews, and I really cannot understand why people are writing such bad things! I am an American who also lives part-time in India. I really like like this place! I don't want to accuse previous reviewers of lying, but I will tell you tha t I am really surprised by some of the complaints! I enjoyed it so much, I lengthened my stay!

It is a nice, Sri Lankan bungalow turned into a nice beach hotel with a pool. There are several rooms to choose from, and I think there are some with beach views. I stayed in two different rooms during my stay.

I found both a/c rooms very spacious, large bathrooms, and very clean. Room 21 had a very comfortable large queen bed and was nice and quiet, with windows overlooking the property. The other room (number 5) is another large a/c room with a double and a twin bed. Very clean and spacious, overlooking the pool. i had none of the difficulties described. My bed linen was clean and fresh. I found the a/c and fans quiet.

So besides the rooms, here are the great things about this place in my opinion. The staff is extremely responsive. Every morning, very cheerful greetings (non-invasive) that are typical of Sri Lankans in general. I found the staff very helpful, friendly and approachable I never had a single problem. In fact, I gave them a problem, and they were so understanding and nice about it! I did order food to my room, and it always came at the right temperature and promptly. They also made some food to order for me which was really nice! I continuously needed top up cards, and when they were out, they actually sent someone to get more top up cards just for me! When I told them I wanted some way to make cheap international calls, they even did all the research for me to get the best card. I don't know, I felt very at home at this place. The gentlemen who minded the breakfast are so friendly. The main guy really enjoys his job and wants you to have a nice breakfast! All of the staff get along well and work well as a team. I always see someone doing something or another to keep the property maintained and guests happy... That is the best part because it makes for a nice, happy family type atmosphere...

Breakfast is fresh fruits, eggs, toast tea and coffee. Or you can sample Sri Lankan breakfast fare. The people take special care to make the table settings look inviting. Not a big deal to some people, but hey first thing in the morning it is nice! You eat in an area overlooking the pool. What is especially cool is the number of people from all of the world who stay here. During my stay: French, Chinese, Indian, German, Russian, American, Britishers, and Spanish--hope I didn't leave anyone out! Super fun and interesting.

The place isn't huge, but it is intimate and that is the best part. People wander in and out of the "lobby area" which is kitted out with traditional Sri Lankan chairs. People seemed to love to hang out, and since there is free 24 wifi, they would just watch videos on their ipads and all that kind of thing. I personally used it for chat and email. Not cramped or dirty or depressing... just nice.

The pool is on the smaller side of pools -- but I think good-sized, but what i noticed is that people seemed to really enjoy the pool. A gang of young Chinese had a blast in the pool giggling and joking, but somehow it didn't seem like noisy or disturbing. Also, I noticed that the large German family just loved sitting out there with their kids. Very kid friendly kind of place because parents can sit and view their kids in the shade or right by the pool. The bungalow is formed around the pool.

Okay, so one of the most amazing things of all is just how close it is to the beach! I am telling you, I do not know where you can in the world today, stay a place at this price point and be 2 minutes walk to the beach. It is also the loveliest part of the beach. There are some really great restaurants also that serve up amazing seafood delights like fresh lobster (langoustine! You can sit and have a beer and watch the sunset every night...and these sunsets are the best in the world.

The train is also a huge bonus--though maybe some people get a little disturbed by the noise. It never bothered me at all. Didn't even notice it. For me, it is a huge bonus that you are only 5 minutes from the train station. But I am a bit more adventurous than some, but I was not the only expat out there taking the train. It only costs 10 or 15 slr! like 7 us cents to get into the main part of the city, so why stay in the main part?A I would rather enjoy the benefits of the beach and open fresh air.

For Westerners, you will have to adjust minimally to Asian standards--means not the perfect hotel bathrooms, not the perfect designer looking linens, not the latest decor, but still, no major issues and I saw them updating a lot of things--doors, new fittings for bathrooms, repainting the main gate, so I think that there will be a lot of new improvements to this place to make it a real find! Again, if you are looking for a place that is very ordinary--usual kind of hotel standard, don't stay here! This place has personality!

Enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HappyTravelerGina

We are so happy to hear that your stay in our Beach resort was great .
Thank-you so much hope to see you again