Mount Lavinia Hotel
The Villa In Lavinia(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$49
Ranveli Beach Resort(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$34
  • Breakfast included
Colombo Lavinia Beach Hostel(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)(Great Value!)
US$31
US$19
Mount Lavinia Home Stay(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)(Great Value!)
US$13
US$3
  • Beachfront
Cottage Garden Bungalows(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
US$42
Tropic Inn Hotel(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)(Great Value!)
US$39
US$37
Lavinia Villa(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)(Great Value!)
US$22
Agoda.com
House of Arts(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
US$49
Ivory Inn(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
US$31
TripAdvisor
Mount Lodge Boutique Hotel(Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia)
US$77
US$74
2,925 results
All reviewsprivate beachcolonial hotelseafood covemount laviniagovernor's restaurantsri lankapool terracedirect ocean view roomhigh teaindian oceanlobby managerseafood restaurantold worldoverlooking the seamain restaurantcolonial stylecolonial feel
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This hotel has the best location in Colombo, but it is sad to see such a grand old building in such need of renovation. The staff are always around to help and to make your stay as pleasurable as they can. The breakfast buffet over looking the pool is a great experience, with an over abundance of food.

Room Tip: I would suggest selecting the newer rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tony G
MLHG-Management, General Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Thank you for recommending our property to our tripadvisor reader…We are truly blessed with a great team of associates and are glad this has led to a more pleasurable stay for you.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We have eaten many times at this hotel and it has never disappointed us, it is the best hotel food on the Island. We stayed here for the first time for three days and tried their seafood restaurant in the evening on the beach, amazingly delicious and extremely fresh. You go and select what you require from the assortment of shellfish and fish that is wonderfully displayed as you enter the restaurant. You then decide on the sauce you like from the menu displayed on the counter, within half an hour the dish you ordered is served, " brilliant ". What is even more encouraging was that at the next table to us was the world renowned chef Publis who was having a quiet meal with his wife. The Sunday roast beef lunch is better than any we have had in the U.K.
The only downside to this hotel was the room we stayed in, the sea view balcony in our room was outstanding but the room itself was a bit tired. The carpet was pretty old and the bathroom was clean but a bit ancient, you needed to climb into your bath to have a shower. The shower curtain tended to cling to your body which was irritating. None of this mattered as the food alone was outstanding. Will I visit this hotel again, " most definitely yes every time I visit Sri Lanka annually".

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sandrachandra2000

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to sample a good selection of the vast variety of flavours we offer in terms of food and beverages. We are currently in the process of renovating the property…we look forward to having you with us again in the future…

Reviewed 29 October 2013

A casual recommendation from a ruddy companion to a cider swilling Aussie at the bar of The Stag Inn, at Great Warford, Cheshire (also found on Trip Advisor) lead me to book a room for 4 nights for my first visit to Sri Lanka and it could not have been a better introduction to such a wonderful, under-rated country.
On arrival, guests could be forgiven for thinking that they were staying at the Presidents Palace, A splendid first impression: gated barrier with security staff in military style uniform, illuminated fountains in the drop off area; taxi doors opened and luggage seamlessly removed as I was guided to the reception passing a succession of beaming staff in a variety of uniforms denoting their specific roles, all of whom greeted me with a smile and the warmest of hand shakes. I noticed that all 3 of the reception staff made eye contact with me as I made my way to the counter and I was checked in by a beautiful, delicate young lady immaculately dressed in a 'traditional sari. Such was the warmth of my welcome that it did cross my mind that I was being mistaken for someone else and that it would all change when they discovered that I was just another Trip Advised cheapskate
looking for a deal, not an important vanguard to the forthcoming Commonwealth Conference!
My room had twin 3/4 beds with a nice, if not luxurious bathroom with walk in shower,
K,kbut the best was to come. As I pulled open the curtains by hand, without having to search for and struggle with an unnecessarily complicated cord machine, what a sight to behold! Dawn was just rising. I opened the sliding doors and found to my delight that the level 1 room was actually ground level not more than 30 feet away from the pounding surf behind a row palm trees silhouetted in the glowing dawn. I discovered during my stay that the sunsets were even more dramatic and used every exposure combination on both of my cameras in an effort to capture it for the benefit of the friends back home in the Uk ( and to show to the Aussie's mate on my next trip to Cheshire).
The swimming pool area was excellent with very attentive staff who positioned a reclining sun bed with deep cushions in a convenient position overlooking the sea, without being asked.
Dinner was an opportunity to sample around a dozen different curries from the buffet, as well as a carvery and there was a similar choice of desserts laid out to follow. I ate outside in the pool area where was a discreet display of traditional Sri Lankan dancing laid on to entertain the guests.
I have been in better equipped gymnasiums, but at least I had it to myself and it was clean and air conditioned.o
Overall impression : traditional high standard of service, slightly shabby chic with a touch of the Raj. I have to mention that the only low point in my visit was to have to witness an obese German in underpants and undersized tee shirt, wearing a cap clearly denoting its country of origin, bellowing unneccessarily in pidgin English at the reception staff. One could have been tempted to intervene on their behalf had they not handled the oaf so effortlessly.
I have travelled extensively in Europe and Asia both on holiday and on business and could not recommend this hotel more highly to either category of traveller and shall certainly choose The Mount Lavinia Hotel whenever I visit the Colombo region of Sri Lanka again.

Room Tip: Most rooms seem to overlook the sea which is a must.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2013

After spending 3 nights at Cocobay, Unwatuna and 2 nights at Vivanta by Taj, Bentota we spent our last two days of Sri Lanka holidays at this old beautiful hotel. Excellent view of the beach from the room balcony. Rooms are well maintained. Hotel has tried to maintain its old charm. Breakfast was very good and wide spread. Twice we had dinner in the hotel and food quality was of very high standard. Room service was also very quick. Hotel has a private beach which is also very good. Hotel staff is very courteous and hospitable. This hotel is located little far from the central Colombo but it is really very good for holidays.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
MLHG-Management, General Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Thank you for your lovely review...we are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and wish you many more pleasant times with us in the future.

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

No complaints from our stay here at all - an old style hotel with an elegant charm about it. Loved the outdoor pool and breakfast buffet is one of the best I have seen! Lovely welcoming staff who are all very helpful. Loved it will definitely return.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kapai11

Thank you for the review and recommendation. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and wish you many more pleasant times with us in the future.