“One of My Favourite Hotels” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mount Lavinia Hotel

Mount Lavinia Hotel
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“One of My Favourite Hotels”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I love old colonial Hotels.The Mount Lavinia Hotel is a gem. The Hotel dates back to 1806 and was the original British Governors residence it's soaked in history.
Location wise Mount Lavinia is around 12 Km from Colombo on the train line (Be adventurous and take the train into Fort Station it's a great experience) Mount Lavinia Beach has some really great restaurants.
The Breakfast and Dinner Buffet at the Hotel are excellent.
It's my 3rd visit and love it, I can't fault the service and the staff are generally very friendly.
It was my first Solo visit I only stayed one night, it's really a Hotel that needs to be shared.
A great place to start and/or end a visit to Sri Lanka

Room Tip: There are a large variety of rooms old and modern, I suggest that you ask to be shown a few to see w...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank whereswally_9
MLHG-Management, General Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear guest thank you for choosing to stay at our iconic heritage hotel. Thank you for your repeated patronage to our property and we look forward to your return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North West UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

The entrance to this hotel is imposing with a touch of elegance from an earlier time. Once within the hotel this is maintained in the public areas. Our room was modern and spacious with everything you'd expect in a hotel of this standard.
We only had one night here but took advantage of the beach to relax in the afternoon and again took advantage of the beach setting for our evening meal at the seafood restaurant. The food was terrific, service was excellent - in line with the rest of our experience! Breakfast by the pool was very good with quite an extensive 'spread' to suit most tastes.
Good hotel but beware if you think this hotel is close to Colombo or the airport. Traffic makes journey times quite long.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kalamaki-Rob
Thank you for recommending Mount Lavinia Hotel to our many tripadvisor readers. We look forward to your return for a longer stay during your next visit to Sri Lanka.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

You could tell that you were going to be in for some old school charm when you pulled up to the grand entrance, greeted by the team in their distinctive uniforms. The room was spacious with a nice balcony overlooking the sea. Breakfast was really good, lots of choice. The adjoining Seafood Cove is a real find too. If I was going to be picky I'd say the gym is a little dated, the big flatscreen in the old bar is a bit incongruous and ML was the only place in the six hotels I stayed at in my trip that charged for wifi, but overall a great place and enjoyable stay.

I'm surprised by the comments about service, which I found to be great throughout.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tony C
MLHG-Management, General Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Guest we are delighted that you and your spouse enjoyed your time with us. Your thoughtful comments are much appreciated by the management. We do look forward to your return.
paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stayed two nights after several days in jungle areas and it was a perfect place to pamper myself before leaving Sri Lanka. The setting with the view on the bay of Colombo from the pool area and restaurant are outstanding, the old colonial charm very attractive. My room was nice and new -- when I made the booking I made sure to check on line which ones had been renovated after reading on this site some were older. I really regretted the absence of a bathtub but the bedding was top grade and super comfy. My room was#205, on the second floor in the wing right off the reception desk. Some doors slammed noisily in the area, but not at late night. Those "ocean view" rooms actually look to the sea from the side, and not straight out to the open of the ocean. One should be aware there's a train track along the shore right by the hotel, and from this floor one could hear very loud noises of trains rolling by in the morning. The buffet dinner was great value with a large selection of sri lankan and international dishes, including salads. The buffet breakfast also offered great choice and quality. I have no complaints about service, I have found it friendly and attentionate -- but you can tell they lack training. One young lady at reception told me I would have to pay "an extra night" because I was leaving at 5am and wanted to check out the night before. Turns out she apparently thought I was trying to get out of paying my full stay... I didn't mind as I was just having a really good time, though.

Room Tip: Make sure to find on line which of the rooms have been renovated - the second floor wing that's...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ploumParis
MLHG-Management, General Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear guest we are delighted that your recent stay at the Mount Lavinia Hotel lived up to your expectations. Thank you for highlighting the positives as well as the negatives for our development. We do hope that you will return to stay with us in the future.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I didn't stay here, but just went for a quick coffee to see this majestic landmark. Or that was the plan.. We arrived by town car from our hotel to a beautiful colonial style hotel with the grandeur and elegance to match. Front of House staff were great; friendly, helpful etc. As an F&B professional it hurts to say that they were miles better than the service staff at the poolside restaurant where we wanted to have a coffee. The view from here is great; you can see the entire beach with its many beach bars and restaurants (a must!) plus the skyline of Colombo to the North.

We sat down at a table with the intention to have a quick coffee and then leave for the beach...
Firstly it took around 10 minutes for one of the many waiters to notice us. Then another 5 to get a menu and the same to place the order. 1 cappuccino and 1 macchiato...
After 20 minutes waiting, my patience reached the point of asking where the order was. As a hospitality professional I try not to complain when visiting other places, but there are limits.
The waiter asked me what we ordered. 1 cappuccino and 1 macchiato...
10 minutes later we got 1 cappuccino and 1 odd looking latte with marshmellow bits floating in it.
My wife sent it back and we shared the cappuccino. Long after we finished this and her macchiato hadn't arrived, I asked for the check: 1 cappuccino and 1 macchiato...
I know sometimes things can go wrong, but this was too much. I asked to see a supervisor and told him this experience was not exactly meeting our expectations. He was actually quite prompt in his complaint handling. We paid for my cappuccino and left. On the way out we saw a waiter carrying a tray with one macchiato whose destiny will never be fulfilled..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank joerivanderwees
Dear guest thank you for writing to us about your recent experience at our property. We do apologize for the service lapses from our end however ensuring that this has been addressed at the daily briefings and intensive on the job trainings conducted. We do hope you will return to our property for a dose of good old Sri Lankan hospitality.
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Though I lived less than a mile away from this hotel almost all my childhood, and visited the hotel countless times, this was the first time I've actually stayed overnight at the property. The experience was simply amazing. This review is specific to the Suite that we booked (Room # 117) as we have not had the opportunity to stay in any of the other rooms that may have received reviews by other guests. This Suite is new or newly refurbished/renovated suite with all the comforts that ANY hotel anywhere in the world can offer. I will let the pictures do most of the talking :)

We've taken out our parents for the Saturday Lunch Buffet, and after dropping them off, we stayed overnight (we had reservations and came prepared). The room we reserved was a Suite (Room # 117) as there were 4 of us, and we could not get interconnecting rooms as the the hotel was completely booked. The Suite was well appointed with a comfortable living area with a pleasing decor, fresh flowers, a spacious bedroom and a long stretch of balcony overlooking the beach and the sea. The Bed was a comfortable King size, large enough to sleep 2 adults and a child. If an additional roller bed is requested, check the comfort level of that bed, since the bed we received was harder than simply sleeping on the floor, and my son opted to sleep on the couch, which was comfortable than the bed.

The bathroom was well stocked with any and all toiletries you might ever need, and with a great selection of products such as honey, bubble bath, salts etc., for the huge round bathtub in the Bathroom. Robes, slippers extra towels were also provided. The room had a large walk in closet, with an Electric Iron/ Ironing board, Electronic Safe, storage for clothes etc.,

The restaurants will be reviewed separately, since we did not book the room on Full Board. But for the purpose of this review, The Buffet meals provided at the Terrace/ Governor's Restaurant is far superior to the Seafood Cove, but this is simply a matter of taste.

At the end of the stay, we were almost reluctant to leave the breathtaking and serene ambiance of the Suite. We were more than pleasantly surprised to find this hidden gem, and immediate booked the same suite for another weekend in February 2014.

Room Tip: We highly recommend this particular Suite (Room # 117), which is a corner unit overlooking the well...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest thank you for your beautiful words of praise about our iconic heritage hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your return in February 2014.
Gold Coast, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Service around the pool area was so bad, we had to wait so long for mats for sun beds also the waiter service was so slow. We had 8 people stay for 4 nights. Out of 8 people 5 of us got so sick with food poisoning. We had to go to a hospital. It's a shame because it is such a nice place but the standard has gone down so much.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Eileen B
Dear guest we are extremely disappointed that our services did not live up to your expectations. And we do apologize for any lapse from our end. We have taken all feedback as constructive and have made the necessary arrangements to ensure that this will not be a repeat occurrence in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia
OZO Colombo
OZO Colombo
#10 of 52 in Colombo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,173 reviews

Been to Mount Lavinia Hotel? Share your experiences!