“A Fabulous addition”
Review of Charcoal - CLOSED

Charcoal
Price range: US$2 - US$5
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Our space has a Cafe, an Art gallery,an open Terrace and lessons in Art & Music. Our Cafe, is a community hangout for all music lovers. The most played genre being Jazz. However, we do play Rock & contemporary music now and again. The food!! This is what we all look forward to and something that warms our hearts and brings about togetherness, gives us joy and comfort somehow. The food we serve is always freshly made. There's nothing like fresh food. We offer Sri Lankan coffee,tea, Signature Burgers, freshly made sandwiches & desserts that are the whipped together in a frenzy of creative & exuberant passion. We hire our space for Theme parties, coffee mornings, tea parties & meetings. There are a few rules about smoking - only tobacco and only on the terrace after 7pm. Our facility offers two art galleries 'The Dutch Entrance' and the 'Sunset Terrace' could be rented for exhibitions, book launches, poetry readings, plays, live acoustic music and other art related events. We encourage freedom of expression in every form. We've got all kinds of creative classes to get your imagination going and fine-tune those skills & that dormant right brain!!! Presently, classes are offered in Art Education, Piano & Guitar lessons. Do enjoy our space at Charcoal and take full advantage of your right to express freely!
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have been staying at the Mount Lavinia Hotel for 10 years as we have a charity in the area. We are so thrilled that Charcoal has opened. It is a wonderful place for coffee - probably the best we have had in Sri Lanka and the wraps burgers and cakes are wonderful too. Everything is served with a smile. The art on display is really extraordinary and Priscilla has created a tranquil roof garden. We miss it on Sundays when it is closed!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Excellent service at this cozy little cafe. Great waffles and brownie. Burgher was also delicious. The servers are very customer friendly. Food is made fresh.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I go regularly to Charcoal as it provides the right atmosphere, quite, serene and cozy so that I can sit back and relax with a great cup of coffee or tea whilst I finish some of my work , mostly which I have to really focus on. The place has never failed to deliver to my expectations whether it is the service or the food. The quality of a cup of Coffee is definitely on par with any international chain you get in Colombo, My favourite are the Chocolate mint / Chocolate cake , which I must say is the best I ve had out,,, I would recommend the Charcoal to anyone who wants a to hang out or need some me time and sit back enjoy oneself!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Would surely recommend Charcoal for a visit anytime during the day/week! Been there at ten in the morning, one in the afternoon, six in the evening, you sure will have something to cherish anytime!
I really enjoy the accommodating atmosphere, the snugly feeling you get there! :) Best place for a chat over good coffee and a light meal. There is a good selection of food and beverages for reasonable prices (the portions are also not bad). Had the Crabby Patty on my last visit and LOVED it! It's not a place of luxury, but a great, cozy place to unwind! With a few friends, your partner or even by yourself!

1  Thank Lakshi A
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Located down the pleasant Hotel Rd. in Mt. Lavinia close to the Mt. Lavinia Hotel, Charcoal Gallery Cafe is a special kind of cafe rarely found outside of Colombo city limits. This makes it special in that it is accessible to those don't want to do battle with the traffic on Galle Rd. just to enjoy a good cup of coffee and some tasty food. This particular cafe offers a choice of delectable food items on it's menu. Though the menu is limited, the choices are appetizing, well prepared and most importantly, tasty. They also offer a choice of great coffees and other beverages including fresh juices etc. The staff who all speak english are very friendly and helpful. Upstairs is a terraced section with comfortable seating ideal for putting your feet up and enjoying a good read with the perfect cup of coffee to keep you company. Run by a family of very art oriented people, The Charcoal Gallery Cafe offers live music of different kinds every week ranging from oldies to the modern. They even have an open mic night offering the opportunity for anybody interested to go in and entertain. You will always have an appreciative audience, even if sometimes it maybe a limited crowd. Another factor that makes this place special is that it is never over-crowded and gives you the space you need to just relax and enjoy the finer things in life.

1  Thank appas24