“Lynda n Trevs 35th celebration”
Review of Club Hotel Dolphin

Club Hotel Dolphin
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Waikkal
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just coming to the end of 2 fabulous weeks at the brilliant Club Hotel Dolphin, celebrating 35 years of marriage !! We had read reviews before coming here from many people saying how the staff really make this hotel special, well, that is certainly the case. From the very start you are made to feel that nothing is too much trouble. The staff are all so friendly and welcoming, the friendliest we have encountered on our many travels.Don't usually single individuals out for praise, but would like to say a special thank you to Anjela and Saman for the beautiful room decorations on our Anniversary. Also to Thyagi, for being so warm and kind, always with a smile. Too many wonderful staff in restaurant and round pool to mention.
Gardens are kept immaculate, again by wonderful staff. Food brilliant, excellent quality and variety. First time in Sri Lanka and have loved it. Hope to return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I was going here for my honeymoon, Its a really good place for couples & my best buffet was there, the pool area also very big & there are many bars. Most of the rooms located near the pool
We really enjoyed over there.

Room Tip: all rooms very nice
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and our 3 children, ages 13yrs, 12yrs and 7yrs stayed here for 2 weeks over Easter and I have to say we had a great time.

There were a few hiccups but these were rectified quite quickly by the staff who are so eager to assist in making your holiday a memorable stay.

Barnard the chef allowed my son's and their friends to go into the kitchens and make food of their choice which my eldest son Lewis absolutely loved as he is an aspiring chef himself. Barnard did not have to do this but took it upon himself to make this possible. Thx Barnard! You made some boys very happy that day and those memories will stay with them forever. Whilst I talk about the chef and kitchens, I think it only appropriate to mention the food. This was by far a great choice of good quality and tasty food. If the kids struggled then you only needed to say and food they requested would arrive. Nothing was to much trouble!

I also have to mention Sameera (possibly not the right spelling) who was one of the pool attendants. He helped our daughter to have confidence in the pool and she learnt to swim, unaided, over this holiday which in itself, was a massive achievement. Apart from this he always made time to chat and was very friendly. He even managed to be the lifeguard and save someone while we were there!

The elephant orphanage is a must for anyone travelling to sri lanka and please seek out asda tours at the left of the end of the beach. Nissan was our guide and as my youngest son said 'he is a cool dude'! Nissan gave us the best time on our trip and we got to feed the baby elephants out of bottles like babies and preferencial treatment when we went to watch the elephants bathing; what an experience and a must! Also take a visit to see what the local shop near the elephant orphanage does with elephant poo. Yes, that's right, elephant poo! They make gifts and if you're lucky as we were, you get to see how they make the paper and then get to buy the gifts. 50% of the sale goes back to help the elephant orphanage and the elephants you will have visited and 50% goes th help fund the shop; what a great way to aid and help the community.

You also must try the best inner thigh exercise I have ever tried; riding an elephant! I had ridden an elephant in Bali before but this was on a comfortable seat and not 'bare back' native style as this was! My husband and the boys rode on a huge elephant and took the shower that was offered. When I say shower, this was courtesy of the elephant and her trunk whilst they were sat upon on her back; such great fun. My daughter and I opted out of this but had great fun riding on the 'baby' elephant of 10 years who, we were told, liked to dance. We found out this was true as everytime we stopped on the trek, she 'danced' and swayed and jigged about which earned her the name of disco diva which my daughter thought was fab!

There are a few issues regarding fresh pool towels as the system they just doesn't work. My husband spoke to Daniel Ludwig the manager who was very receptive and welcomed comments readily evening putting his mobile number on room literature so you could speak to him. Daniel will look to be implementing changes.

We were fortunate to have a wine tasting dinner at waves restaurant and this was excellent. Nice to have a served meal rather than buffet and again, good tasty food.

Kids club was a bit hit and miss as whenever we went there it was closed. When we asked if it was open we were told 10mins so went again later and the door was unlocked but no staff on site. We decided to keep our daughter with us as didn't want to leave her unsupervised.

We were all inclusive (but opted not to go gold all inclusive, as this was an extra 40 dollars a day per person and gave little extra) we still didn't get the wine as part of this but when we came to check out which we did the night before due to an early collection the following morning, we realised that some had been put on our room which we hadn't had. This was rectified, but we realised that this was a flaw in the different options of the board basis that they offered and they struggled to keep track of what people were on.

We have all travelled extensively and all in all, the experience we had in Sri Lanka was amazing. There are a few things that need ironing out but these are small considering the 2 weeks we had.

Thanks Club Dolphin, we look forward to a return journey some day xx

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cinders28
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed there nine days in april and may2014.Amazed by the high level of european standards.You find the very top of quality ,plus kindness of staff and professional attention.
Of course ceylonese standards of hospitality and politeness and gastronomy are added to all that.Clean,well kept,serious hotel with bigrooms or small bungalows.People care for you : cleaning of sunglasses at your seat at the two different pools (!).Buffet (local and european) of great variety and thematic evenings,strand restaurant,local restaurant ,fish dinner and so on and soon.Beach is touching the hotel.So after all this thre litte improvements todo :cats in buffet area ,dogs in pool area ( also the feeding guest are guilty) and shouting ravens in the small pool area.But we recommand this hotel sincerely.

Room Tip: go to massage zone near the smallerpool.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
SLML, General Manager at Club Hotel Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind sentiments on your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

As a hotel, we strive to be a great holiday destination offering fun and adventure to our guests, but at the same time, we strive to give them the space to spend some quiet time with people that matter the most. We are happy that you appreciate the Sri Lankan warmth and hospitality in our service, and all our associates would be happy to hear your comments on it. Further, thank you for showing us the areas we need to improve on, and we are trying our best to educate our guests to refrain from feeding the dogs and cats in the area, as it is very difficult to leave them out in an open plan hotel like ours.

Once again, thank you for the kind sentiments and your words are of great encouragement to us.

We look forward to welcoming you in the near future and look forward to deliver a holiday experience you will find to be ‘A Perfect Holiday’.

Yours sincerely,

Daniel Ludwig,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel after an amazing 10 day tour of the Cultural Triangle. Hotel was disappointing we were not able to use our balcony as pigeons were nesting above our room and the balcony was covered in birds mess. We were also concerned about the cleanliness of the pool as there were dozens of crows often drinking and cleaning themselves on the edge of the pool . The food was average salad and desserts often the better choice. Some staff were friendly but many were often rude. we stayed during the Sri Lankan New Year and the hotel was taken over with locals which meant it was overcrowded and uncomfortable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank g502Vtraveller
SLML, General Manager at Club Hotel Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us.

It is regrettable to find out that your experience with us had been disappointing. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences caused to you during your stay, and have passed your feedback to the relevant departments, including our kitchen staff.

Whilst most of our customers tend to be from Western Europe, all nationalities are equally important to us. Needless to say, there can be more guests from a particular nationality at specific times of the year, depending on whether it is a peak travel period for that market. However, this hotel has the distinct advantage of having a dedicated quiet pool, and I hope you were able to make use of this option during your stay with us.

I would like to thank you once again for your thoughts and would like to appeal to you to reconsider visiting us in the future, in order to provide you with better service and customer satisfaction levels that this hotel is known for.

If you require any assistance or would like to discuss any future arrangements, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Yours sincerely,

Daniel Ludwig,

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This was quite simply the best hotel we have ever stayed in.
We had a garden Villa so did not feel like we were actually staying in a hotel. But our very own little hideaway with all the benefits of a all inclusive resort.
All staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
Food was best in the main hall put both pool bars offer food at lunch times if you wanted to stay by the pools.
Sri Lanka is a wonderful country and I cant wait to return

Room Tip: Private Villas are worth the extra for that extra WOW factor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed here for 2 weeks mid January. I stayed in the superior sea facing room. The room was fantastic and very large. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was amazing. The shower has very low water pressure which was slightly disappointing.
The restaurant was a real disappointment! The breakfast and lunch service was good however the dinner service in my experience could only be described as chaotic! The staff lacked the pace and urgency for such a busy service. It took forever to get a drink and in several instances I found myself asking 3 times before I eventually received it. Dirty dishes remained on the table for to long which obstructed others from sitting down. I complained and was eventually given my own reserved table to avoid any further issues.
The food was ok however it could have been warmer. There were to many bones in the curries which put me off. I found the majority of the staff to be friendly and spoke a good standard of English. I was also put off by the constant amount of weddings that took place. There were some days up to 3 at any one time were happening and then there was the constant pictures taking place at the pool area which I did not find relaxing!
I would not return to this hotel as I had a much better time at other resorts in India and Thailand.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank step1mc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikkal
Ranweli Holiday Village
#9 of 43 in Negombo
Jetwing Lagoon
Jetwing Lagoon
#3 of 43 in Negombo

Been to Club Hotel Dolphin? Share your experiences!