Just arrived home after a two week stay at the Ranweli Holiday Village. Had a great time. We stayed in a deluxe beach bungalow which was in a lovely spot, quite secluded and just set back enough to have privacy from passers by. Some of the standard bungalows were quite close to the restaurant which I wouldn't have liked, and some down the far end of the resort were set in the mangrove trees which looked quite dark and eerie. Staff were so happy and helpful. Meals were great, varied even for an all inclusive! Had a lovely massage in the spa but you can find cheaper if you walk beyond the resort. Additional to all inclusive we booked to have a seafood meal cooked on the beach and also ventured to Anthoneys bar just outside the resort for a fresh prawn meal one evening. If you want to try one of these as a treat opt for Anthoneys, the best prawns I've had! Anthoney also does tours and will grab newcomers. We booked 2 tours after chatting to him just hours after arriving. The tour guide was great, lots of local information and he really looked after us. Beware that the tour guides will ask if you want to visit a couple of extra places, usually places where they have family or friends. Although we enjoyed both trips i would recommend checking with the resort if they have any tours on offer first as the day after we booked and paid for ours we had a note pushed under the door inviting us on a free tour to the elephant orphanage! As with anywhere watch for people at the airport who will grab your case expecting a tip. We thought the guy who took ours as we were putting it in the boot was our driver but he was just after money and wouldn't leave until he'd got some! Tipping is at your discretion and 10% is usual so ensure you have some smaller notes with you! the cashier at the resort is happy to change larger notes for you at no charge. Really can't fault the resort and would stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ranweli Holiday Village is an eco-friendly resort located on a 22-acre peninsula where mangrove forests and winding rivers converge to meet the sea. Located only 18 kms from Colombo's International Airport, Ranweli is the perfect base to explore the fascinating history, culture and nature of Sri Lanka. The hotel is on Waikkal Beach & provides bungalows & rooms with a private bathroom. The resort has an outdoor pool and its own restaurant & bar. Each bungalow / room is air-conditioned, has a safe, sitting area and telephone. The attached bathroom includes a hot/cold shower. Guests can enjoy a beach volleyball, billiards or table tennis at Ranweli. Water activities such as paddle boating, canoeing and kayaking are available. Ranweli is able to organize boat rides and bird watching tours. You can experience multi-cuisine dishes at the buffets of the resort's restaurant & a variety of liquor is served at the pool bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ranweli Holiday Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ranweli Holiday Village Waikkal
- Ranweli Holiday Village Hotel Waikkal
- Ranweli Holiday Village Sri Lanka/Waikkal