“Hotel where customers are a in convenience to the management”

Villa Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Wadduwa
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Stayed here 11/2/2012 to11/03/2012. we will give this hotel a miss from now on, when in sri-lanka
All-inclusive but must sign for every mortal thing.Poor service in restaurant had to ask for tables to be reset many times I did it my self,after reporting it to management,still no improvement.When the management sat at there table just to one side of ours they were treat like lords.No atmosphere in restaurant,plenty of curries/european food poor quality meat/chicken, after a few days the same food came round again.The best thing about this hotel, the garden and pool area.You need to be a strong swimmer to use the sea.Stayed in a cabana room,clean but dated, and ugly, poor maintenance a/c not working in our room after three goes two days later we moved nexst door,still working on a/c with new people moved in our old room A lot of Russian arrived near the end of Feb,most lacking in social graces, or just ignorant.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We have holidayed in Sri Lanka many times and have just spent two glorious weeks at the Villa Ocean View. We were very impressed by the cleanliness throughout the hotel and gardens.

We stayed in a Cabana room which was a good size with adequate storage, very efficient air conditoning and ceiling fan, satellite TV, tea and coffee making facilities and a basic but functional bathroom with always very hot water. Bed linen and towels are changed daily and the room boy took a great pride in cleaning the room thoroughly every day. The rooms are sprayed against mosquitoes every evening and a fresh tablet put in the plug-in. We travelled with friends and none of us had even one mosquito bit. We had cabana rooms 25 and 27 which had an ocean view, were next to the pool and benefited from a lawn outside with a large tree for shade; the pool attendant set our loungers up outside early every morning in what was almost a private garden! The very tame palm squirrels and egrets would take peanuts from your hands! There are a few dogs which are said to be strays, but they all look in fairly good condition and are very friendly. We were adopted by a lovely tan-coloured dog (the one with the gammy hind leg) and he spent most of our holiday outside our room, sleeping on our terrace at night. We made sure he had some biscuits and other treats and fresh water every day. I did not see the dogs being ill-treated by the hotel staff at any time. There are also a few cats who appear at the restaurant at meal times, but again their coats are in good condition and they seem quite healthy, albeit a bit wild!

Food was excellent. Breakfast - freshly fried eggs and omelettes, scrambled eggs, baked beans, sausages, grilled tomatoes; cereals, including lovely creamy porridge! Huge variety of breads, including croissants, pains-au-chocolat, brioches, delicious fresh fruit, cheese, and a very efficient toaster! Lunch and dinner - fresh soups, always piping hot, salads, rice, pasta, vegetables, several hot meat and fish dishes, some for western tastes, some for lovers of hot and spicy curries. Desserts were amazing - looking as good as they tasted and including old favourites like bread and butter pudding or Queen of Puddings! The waiting staff were friendly and efficient and Chef would often come into the Dining Room and make himself known to the guests.

There is entertainment every night at 9.30pm and a disco a couple of nights a week. However, as is usual in Sri Lanka, at midnight you could hear a star drop out of the sky!

Yes, the hotel is next to the main Colombo to Galle railway line, but we could hardly hear the trains and they certainly did not disturb us in any way. There are a couple of gift shops, tailors and jewellers opposite the hotel or a short walk will take you to the main road where there are a few more shops including a Pharmacy; (turn right out of the hotel, cross the line at the new St. Patrick's Church and walk up the road). Tuk tuks are available outside the hotel and we used the Travel Desk in the hotel for longer trips. The prices were equal to the beach boys and the Travel Advisor even managed to get us tickets for the second England v Sri Lanka cricket test in Colombo!

We found all the staff (gardeners, pool attendants, dining room staff, room boys, receptionists) unfailingly friendly and helpful; we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday at the Villa Ocean View and would return.

Room Tip: Cabana rooms are quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Srilankaphiles35
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed 4 days at this hotel. There is no atmosphere in restaurant and lobby, room was acceptable, but bathroom was ugly and very, very used. It looks, that hotel needs a general reconstruction. Seems like 30 years old without a maintenance except some painting. Meal was not exceptional. We had all inclusive - there is no wine as a part!'!! Very disappointed by this fact, I ordered one evening a bottle of wine (20 EUR). When I tasted, I notice, that wine is totally broken - strong taste of bitter almond. Waiter at first refused to take it back saying, that I have to keep it and pay for it! Finally after long discussion with manager they took this back. . No free wifi, you had to buy card with password and they charged you 4 USD per hour. Sea is quite stormy, not much too friendly to children and to the old ones. Good pool. I would not return.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hmarket
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Like the review below,apart from the location and beach,the rest left a lot to be desired. We stayed in a cabana room 24,as soon as we walked in there was a stench of raw sewage it stank.The room itself was not clean,and the head board behind the bed was rotten and damp to the point that you could push your finger through it.I asked to upgrade at a cost to myself but was told the hotel was full.

To say i was gobsmacked is an understatement,we had 9 days here as part of the a 17 day trip and would not recomend this hotel to my worst enemy let alone friends. It was a pleasure to check out.
Make sure you lock up your money etc as this has a habit of "getting lost" or "you must have missplaced it" this is an awful hotel and i will never go back.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank GowloUk
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Other than the location/view on the beach, I can't say anything positive about this hotel. I booked two rooms in March 2012 and was so extremely dissatisfied with this hotel that i felt it was almost my duty to inform other travelers about the horrid experience i encountered at this hotel.

Upon checking into the hotel at 6pm, I proceeded to my room to take a shower and realized that the water was coming out of the sink and shower faucet completely urine yellow. The toilet was similarly producing yellowish water. I called the front desk and told them that there was an issue with the water and after speaking to someone, NO ONE showed up. When the mosquito boy came to spray for bugs, I showed him the water and asked him to call someone or repair it. He fled in horror and did not return, nor did anyone else. I then went downstairs and spoke to the front desk clerk, who, instead of changing rooms, which would have been the sensible thing to do, decided to send the water 'engineer' to my room. He never showed up.

Upon leaving my hotel for dinner, without having showered, brushed my teeth or washed my face, I indicated to the front desk that i was extremely displeased and wished to speak to a manager. The housekeeping manager, not the hotel manager, appeared and he, instead of listening to my complaint, decided to start text messaging in front of me. I told him off and decided that rather than getting any more frustrated, i demanded another room upon my return later that evening.

I got a new room at midnight that night, on the other side of the hotel far from the other guests i was traveling with. I would have expected that given the lack of customer service, and because i didn't actually USE the room for the entire night, that they would be willing to reduce the room rate, or offer compensentory services. NOTHING. This hotel sucks. Everything about it did. I would not recommend. Go to Tangerine or Mount Lavinia. Don't waste your money or time here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Cynthia L
Reviewed 25 March 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and have to say I enjoyed it again. The hotel was much quieter than last time (my last stay was in January) which was better as it was easier to get sun beds and the restaurants and bars were quieter.

We stayed in a cabana which was very clean and there was clean bed linen and towels daily. The food in the restaurant continued to impress with an excellent selection of curries or pasta and European style dishes if that was your preference.

The gardens and pool areas continue to be maintained to a high standard and the pool team are always happy to help with anything. The animation team also helped to provide some excellent activities both day and night. Don’t forget to visit the spa which was excellent value for money and the therapists work to extremely high standards. My favourite is the facial massage which for 1500 rupees is an absolute bargain and really makes a difference to your skin. They gym well equipped to keep you going whilst on your holidays my only disappointment this time was there was no yoga, the staff member who took the classes has left and another member of the team is currently being trained.

There are a number of beach stalls selling t shirts, scarves, dresses etc. Both have extremely reasonable prices I managed to get beautifully coloured silk scarves for 600 rupees each an absolute bargain. My good friend Dayani also sold me a beautiful maxi dress with a floral print ideal for the summer and she also gets lovely elephant embroidered table cloths of all sizes for an excellent price if you ask. Another of my friends Indy is also worth considering if you want to go on any excursions cheaper than the travel reps.

Now we come to the negative point the dogs and cats. I must say things have improved a lot compared to my last visits when the behaviour of some of the staff towards the animals was appalling. Every dog I saw last time plus a few more were still at the hotel which amazed me as I have seen some terrible sights in my past visits to Sri Lanka and you wonder how they survive. The comment left about the potential of someone getting bitten made me chuckle, I know you can never say never but these animals are so friendly considering how hard their life is its unbelievable so please do not let that put you off. As for the cats scratching if you put your hands towards them they swipe at you thinking you have food for them so the potential of getting a scratch is high (its not like a cat at home who gets fed every day!!!!!!!!!!)

While we were at the hotel one of the females gave birth to a pup which is nearly 3 weeks old now. She was living under a sun lounger so I am asking new visitors to please make sure she gets some food and water and perhaps you could send me a private message to update her progress and any puppy pictures would be really appreciated. If you are an animal lover like me please feed and water the animals and they really love a bit of fuss and attention.

Overall is very good, the staff are excellent and a lick of paint in the rooms wouldn’t go amiss. It a lovely hotel and an amazing country which I have fallen in love with. Hope to see you all next year.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Reddevilgirl
Reviewed 23 March 2012

having been to s/l on and off since 1993 (10/!! times ) this was our first visit to the villa ocean view
value for money 7 out of ten
room service 8 out of ten
resturant staff /management 5out of ten
hotel management 5 out of ten
location 7 out of ten
a large variety of food was on offer breakfast lunch and dinner generally good food but staff were often very slow to replenish dishes once they had been emptied food was seldom hot
soups were excellent deserts terrific in fact the quality of food offered was very good for a three star hotel.
pool and pool staff were also friendly and helpful same as any where else if you tip them they will try that little bit extra
all in all we felt that we got what we paid for
no complaints except for the large ammount of ignorant russians who have not learned to queue or how to say please or thank you
the hotel could easily improve everything with a little money spent in most areas
could do with signage printed in language which the majority of guests could read especially russian and with a management team which was able to fully implement hotel policies regarding use of pool, jacuzzies, and smart informal dress code in the resturant( not vest and shorts in resturant)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank ptr_trc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wadduwa
The Blue Water
#5 of 11 in Kalutara
Reef Villa & Spa
Reef Villa & Spa
#1 of 10 in Wadduwa

Been to Villa Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!