Villa Ocean View Hotel
US$101
Hotels.com
The Privilege(Wadduwa)
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssri lankaroom service isan updatelocal cuisinethis wonderful hoteltripssea
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Me and seven of my friends decided to go and have day out and lunch on Saturday 24th. Starting from the welcome, the experience was bad. Reception kept on telling us to wait to issue a Buffet ticket. we waited half an hour to take the ticket.
I didn't see a international buffet, only fish and chicken was available with sum curries.
The beach was OK. but the pool was crowded.
There are lot of things to be improved both product and service.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Niranga G
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My wife and I decided to treat my parents for their birthdays with a joint holiday weekend at the Villa Ocean View Hotel in Wadduwa. We arrived at the hotel on Friday the 07th of July around 4.30 p.m. and checked in. This was a bit of a tedious experience as the front desk staff seemed to be very nervous and had trouble taking printouts of the booking forms for us to fill in. Someone else was buzzed and came to sort the issue of the print outs. On being showed to our rooms (In the Villa section), we discovered that one of the Air Conditioners was simply acting like a blower, and attempted to call reception. Sadly even the room phone seemed to be on the blink and we had to walk across to the reception to report the matter. The issue was sorted out after a couple of visits by the maintenance team.

After having informed the hotel of the birthdays of my parents, we were disappointed at the manner in which the cakes were handled. Staff came and asked how many candles on the cake in front of my Mum, effectively spoiling any surprise factor we had hoped for!

On the second day (Saturday) they mistakenly served us with another cake which was meant for my Dad on Sunday! They then apologised and asked us (My parents included), as to when we would like to have my Dad's surprise birthday cake served!! These guys seriously need to be educated on handling things like surprise cakes for special occasions!

Since my dad wanted to play a game of carrom in the evening before dinner on Saturday, we went to the bar, where we had been told the animator would be. Surprise, surprise... no animator in sight, and the barman tersely informed us that he had gone somewhere and went back to his chat with another guest (Not surprisingly foreign). After standing around and sensing there was no more assistance coming, we went outside and looked around for the said animator... no luck... however 2 separate managers faithfully promised the guy would turn up soon... we gave up after 45 minutes of waiting! I would have understood if the hotel was full, but they had just 9 guests in the whole hotel to attend to...!!

The food too was quite disappointing with desserts being repeated from lunch to dinner on Saturday... No attempt to even camouflage this, except to take off the description tags! (Maybe they hoped we would not notice since we had no names to read!) No proper service from pool attendants either, with them claiming they could only provide 2 towels as the pool was closed... at 5.30 pm when pool closing time is marked as 7.00 pm!

I have personally handled groups of tourists when I was in the inbound tour industry 12 years ago, and have had them stay at this hotel on a regular basis. It used to be a very well run, up to the mark hotel in every respect, with well trained, attentive staff from top to bottom. The former GM and his staff were a delight to deal with. Sadly it seems the new management seems more interested in making money than in providing a proper service. Premises need refurbishment, staff need training and overall attitudes need to be revamped if this hotel is to survive... sad but true... I will not re-visit this place unless serious changes are done!

P.S. Some of the staff are trying really hard to be at their best, but are sadly undercut by the others' attitudes... Sad...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank AnnonymousDisgust
Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

My sisters and I stayed here for a night.. It's not a bad place at all.. Granted, there is a lot of maintenance that should be done, but it's alright.

The food was amazing... We still rave on about their desserts. Creative and fun..the rooms are comfortable and the pool is great too.. They have a separate pool for kids, and that's a good thing.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank keikods
Reviewed 18 April 2013

My family has been patronizing this hotel for the past 20 years (Since 1993). Over the years, i feel that the prices have increased more than necessarily, and the buffet variety is going down for some reason :( the buffet is good, compared to many places, i mean the food is flavoursome,but we have just 2 meat items, that's it. the sea food dish had just fish in it ... no prawns! :( need more variety, surely..at least like it used to be! Dessert was superb, great variety, value and taste. the management and reception staff are very friendly, but i did encounter some extremely pervy guys who i assume are hotel assistants/staff who were standing near the changing rooms.... ugh! the changing rooms need cleaning up and re-doing i guess! rooms are good.... will definitely go back! Love the awurudhu games that are on every awurudhu season! hope they offer more Value-for-money next time!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Surandi
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I had the opportunity to have a special dinner for a special occasion at ocean view and the chef cook served me and my family delicious seefood and creative meals. very good service also . i m french i know what i m speaking about concerning food ;-). the ocean view hotel is a great spot , because of its large inside area with palm garden , 3 pools and the ocean behind of it. i recommend it , try it you will like it !

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family