“Great property, but needs to work on the food”
Review of The Blue Water

The Blue Water
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Wadduwa
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Great property, but needs to work on the food”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I had first visited this property in 2010, when making a day trip from Colombo. At that time, I remember finding the resort to be absolutely lovely, but was immensely disappointed by the buffet lunch.

I finally had the chance to stay here for a night in the beginning of June 2014, and while the resort is a brilliant property, unfortunately the food doesn't quite live up to the rest of the place. In particular, I found most of the meat dishes to be quite tough. While I would otherwise welcome a long stay at this hotel for the lovely sea-facing balconies in the rooms, massive lawns, the swimming pool and the incessant sounds of the waves, I'm afraid that I probably wouldn't be able to sustain it simply because of the disappointing food, which in my limited experience does not seem to have improved between 2010 and 2014.

For travellers for whom food is less of a concern, I would not hesitate to recommend a stay at this hotel. For those who like to try the local alcohol, I was very pleased to find the stout variant of the local Lion beer, which I had not come across in other Sri Lankan hotels before. The staff is unfailingly helpful and attentive.

Room Tip: The hotel seems to be designed such that all / nearly all rooms face the sea. The first floor rooms...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank silvertoast
Janaka J, Manager at The Blue Water, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor of your recent very short holiday at the blue water hotel and we are very sorry that you did not enjoy the meat dishes on the buffet and only wished you had brought it to the notice of the restaurant management immediately for us to compensate with a dish of your choice but nevertheless this will be looked in to by our Chef immediately.
We appreciate your compliments extended to the property in general and look forward to welcome you back if and when your travels bring you closer to us.
Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Spend during the last weekend of July. Had a good relaxing time. Much enjoyed the swimming pool and could swim enough and enough! Good food. Much spaced garden which was well maintained.
I would love to be there on a full moon day.

Room Tip: I preferred the ground floor as I could have a direct access to the swimming pool!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank newtonjsurg
Janaka J, Manager at The Blue Water, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your short and sweet review on TripAdvisor of the recent visit to the blue water hotel and look forward to welcome you back in the near future, perhaps for a longer stay next time!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed at the Blue waters in July for 3 nights, the service was very good. All the staff and management team were very friendly and were always ready to help.
we had a helicopter trip on our last day which was organised by the hotel due to a festival that was on so no alcohol was being served in the hotel, it was cheap too.
The room was clean and big, food was amazing, pool was lovely and the beach was gorgeous.
The only thing they can do is improve the room balcony with some new furniture and update it and the bathrooms could do with a update but besides that everything else was brilliant.

Room Tip: ask for a beach view room its beautiful
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Janaka J, Manager at The Blue Water, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to post a review on TripAdvisor of the recent holiday at the blue water hotel for the benefit of future guest.
While we thank you for your lovely compliments passed on to the service staff and chefs department in particular we have noted the suggested improvements mentioned and will forward same to the director board.
Look forward to welcome you back in the very near future on your next holiday to Sri Lanka!
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Had a weekend with friends from university 40 years later reminiscing about our misspent youth. Beautiful hotel situated in acres of well maintained lawns with scattered coconut palms. Spacious, modern, well maintained, hotel with excellent rooms that are spacious, and well designed with well thought of luxurious touched incorporated in the design.
A good restaurant with a balanced menu catering to the western palette as well as the Sri Lankan, well equipped gym, spar, large swimming pool for those reluctant to have a dip in the Indian Ocean right in front with white sandy beeches, a conference hall this is one great hotel.
I have to disagree with Sayumi Jayasinghe my niece by friendship it's not romantic.
Yes it's a large place but there is enough scope for a honeymooning couple to have a very intimate time.

Room Tip: De Luxe Suites on the new southern block are excellent. Dinelli Peris looked after the rowdy bunch...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sirimewan
Janaka J, Manager at The Blue Water, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest,
It is indeed a joy to read the lovely comment posted on TripAdvisor of your recent weekend outing at the blue water hotel!
Hosting the ’74 doctors reunion at the blue water was an honor and a privilege and look forward to welcome you all back in the very near future as and when your travels bring you closer to us at Wadduwa, Sri Lanka!
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We picked this hotel from Emirates Holidays with their recommendation and must say at the outset that we were not disappointed. I contacted the hotel prior to our visit to request suggestions for our anniversary which they duly obliged with. Our suite in the 'new wing' was perfect - spotlessly clean, spacious and comfortable. The Admirals restaurant (the main one) served a wide range of dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner with also an extra for Sri Lankan meals. I defy anyone not to find something of their liking at every meal and the food was only surpassed by the attentiveness of the staff. My wife and I have travelled extensively and I can honestly say that this is the first hotel we have ever stayed in where we were unable to find fault with something. Coming back to our anniversary we ate in the Nautilus restaurant where the a la carte menus was given to us the day before and choices made. The food was wonderful, the service again exceptional and the special cake that they surprised us with was delicious. We returned to our suite to find that it was decorated with balloons and signs a lovely gesture.
The pool area and the grounds were always kept immaculate and the staff again very attentive.
My wife arrived feeling somewhat indisposed, one of the ladies in Guest services took control, spoke to doctors arranged appointments and showed real compassion and concern.
The spa was also visited and reflected the rest of the hotel
Without doubt it was an excellent holiday venue and we will certainly be re-booking for next year and a longer visit. Thank you Blue Water staff for making our holiday.

Room Tip: The new suites are wonderful
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Janaka J, Manager at The Blue Water, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the lovely review of your recent holiday posted on TripAdvisor for the benefit of future guest to the blue water hotel.
Your kind compliments extended to staff, food, and all other related services are much appreciated and have been passed on to the entire team!
We look forward to welcome you both back in the near future, perhaps even before the next anniversary and if not certainly for the next anniversary!
Faisalabad, Pakistan
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Talking about the hotels in Whole Asia, first of all need to tell Sri Lankan hotels were the best all times.Out of all Blue water is the place any kind of guest must visit and enjoy.Talking about the Rooms,Restaurants,Swimming Pool,Night clubs,Live music,any kind of Entertainment,Spa.............
Oh.........what you want everything is there.Top of this my full marks going to Food.I never seen any hotel serving that such a big dishes and verities of food in any buffet.All meals were in full of fresh Vegetables,Fruits and all kind of Meat items.oh.....Sea food ,Fantastic.
I am 100% recommending all gust who loves to visit Sri Lanka pls give some time for this hotel and see how you feel your self.Staff is really good and willing to help and talk 24 hrs.All the best for all Travelers.
M.S.A.Pinto.

Room Tip: All Rooms and Suits were in good condition as well as good Wifi.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Janaka J, Manager at The Blue Water, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor of your recent holiday experience at the blue water hotel for the benefit of future guest to the hotel.
Your lovely compliments extended to service staff and related services are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the entire team!
Look forward to welcome you back in the very near future on your next visit to Sri Lanka!
Danbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We recently returned from a 10 night stay at The Blue Water, returning to Sri Lanka after a 23 yr gap. We chose Sri Lanka as my daughter wanted to see the places I'd visited previously and British Airways had good airmiles offers available. We chose The Blue Water as it was relatively close to the airport after our long flight and I liked the look of the hotel grounds. Glad to see some improvement in Sri Lankan roads but having said that the transfer still seemed like an eternity in the mid afternoon traffic. We received a warm welcome and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, relaxing by the pool in lovely hot sunshine when we had expected off-season storms. I found the staff extremely friendly, always smiling and willing to help. I had an ear infection during my holiday and the staff were excellent, advising and contacting the doctor who came to the hotel to see me. I admit the tv and some of the lighting controls in the room are in need of refurbishment but the rest was satisfactory and the bathroom adequate. Plenty of storage space. Lovely sea view - enjoyed seeing the elephant stroll through the grounds on our first morning. The bed was rather hard! We always had hot water and plenty of towels and the rooms were cleaned promptly every day. In the evenings the guys returned to stock the mini bar, replace towels and turn on the anti mosquito device. The food was very good but I was a little tired of the buffet by the end. The other two restaurants which we had to pay for (20% discount to all inclusive guests) were lovely, fantastic seafood.The hotel was generally very quiet and busier at weekends or when there were weddings. The gym was spacious and has good equipment. We had relaxing massages and pedicures at the spa. I booked my trips through British Airways and my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our visits. There is plenty to do - historic sites, elephant riding and orphanage,turtle hatchery, tea plantations, gem mines and herbal gardens. We really enjoyed our holiday and The Blue Water hotel. Sad to not take home the stray dog that came by every day to visit us!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Janaka J, Manager at The Blue Water, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for reviewing the blue water hotel on TripAdvisor for the benefit of the future guest to the hotel.
We appreciate your lovely compliments and at the same time value constructive criticism as it helps us to improve where necessary to serve future guest better.
We look forward to welcome you back in the near future when your travels bring you closer to us!
Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wadduwa
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,193 reviews
Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka
Taprobana Wadduwa by Asia Leisure
AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa

Been to The Blue Water? Share your experiences!