“Great family holiday”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Wadduwa
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great family holiday”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed for 5 nights in 2 interconnecting suites (family of 5). Rooms were simple, but very clean and relaxing. We had rooms overlooking the ocean. Pool was lovely and the beach was just amazing - watch the littles ones though. The waves can be really strong - but hotel lifeguard goes out to the beach as guests leave the hotel grounds toward the beach.
Food was lovely - although would be good to have a few simple dishes for the children.
Across the road is a tour guide named Ruchi - he is AMAZING!!! Arranged great tours for a group of 9 of us (2 families traveling together). He got us into feed the elephants, watching the elephants bath in the river, elephant ride, personal washing of one elephant in a secluded river. Herb and spice garden tour, tea plantation - all without queuing, or paying enormous entry fees and we had the best vantage point every time!! You'll find him on the beach outside the hotel if he's not on a tour for the day. His English is amazing and he has loads of knowledge on the history of Sri Lanka.
We will return here again and stay a lot longer.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest,
Your review on TripAdvisor of the recent holiday at the blue water hotel is very much welcomed and appreciated by the entire team.
We have noted your comment on selection on food for children has been noted.
Look forward to welcome you all back in the near future when your travels bring you closer to us.
Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The main reason for our (wife and I) trip was to see the Kandy Festival (excellent) early August. We stayed from August 6th to the 17th at Bluewater based on the overall comments from Trip Advisor. So, rather than repeat what has already been said, I will give, hopefully, helpful comments - with saving the best to last.

We stayed on a B&B basis to give flexibility on what we ate and when. The all-inclusive risk is that you will eat and drink "because it is there". The various restaurant options are excellent and VERY reasonably priced. The overall cost of our eating and drinking was less than half of the cost for all-inclusive.

Upgrade to a top room in the new extension. We stayed on the 5th floor and had excellent views across the gardens, beach and sea as well as a superbly furnished room.

Find out the days that Sri Lanka believe are the auspicious days to get married. We were there purely by luck, but were treated to three weddings a day at the hotel for four days. Brilliantly beautiful (browse Kandyan brides to get an idea) and an excellent chance to see the culture of the country on full display. The hotel is very popular for weddings.

Do your research on trips before going. We used the services of Chamila from Remarkable Paradise (http://www.remarkableparadise.com). Discuss with him what you want to see and he will give advice and sort the logistics. All trips we took were just the two of us plus a driver/guide - very knowledgeable and flexible - if you see something you want to look at, they will stop and help you. Want to change the schedule/timing - easily done. Want to photo some monkeys - they will find them. And all at very good value for money. Many thanks, Chamila.

Kandy seems to be on everyone's "must see" list. Avoid trying to do it in a day. Two days is the minimum to see Kandy, Lions' Rock, tea plantation and the elephant orphanage. We stayed at the Galavilla Hotel (http://galavillaspa.com). As I sorted our arrangements for the Kandy Festival a bit late (but at least before we left to go to Sri Lanka) just about all the hotel rooms in the city had gone. Galavilla is about 20 kms out of the city and way up in the hills - but what an excellent place - just look at its website. Because the hotel was just about full, we ended up in the honeymoon suite - brilliant.

The spa - ask about the special offers (e.g. buy ten hours to use as a couple - keeps the cost down).

If you want your nerves testing - then rely on the Sri Lanka bus drivers to do it for you. They are suicidal! The tuk-tuk drivers are angels compared to these guys.

Lots of comments have been made about the ravens/crows. OK - after a day or so, they become part of the scenery and background noise. Just DO NOT feed them otherwise you will find yourself in the middle of an Alfred Hitchcock retake.

Comments also made about the internet - OK, there are some cold spots and if you do not use it for a while, you will be logged out. Hey, come on, it's a holiday! Easy to live with.

And now, the best for last - the hotel staff. ALL of them are naturals at being polite, friendly with a "can do" attitude (unlike other countries where staff have to be trained in customer service). It just seems to be part of their genes - amazing. Cannot recall any grumpiness or bad attitude. That really makes the difference.

Having said that, our special thanks to Ranga who must be the best of the best in the restaurants and to Dilini who very kindly showed my wife how to dress in a sari, Sri Lanka style. Best of the best!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Janaka J, Manager at The Blue Water, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your lovely detailed holiday review posted on TripAdvisor for the benefit of future guest to the blue water hotel.
Compliments extended to staff, especially to Ranga and Dilini for exceptional customer service have been welcomingly noted by the management of the resort.
Once again thank you and look forward to welcome you back in the near future if and when your travels bring you closer to our paradise Isle, Sri Lanka!
Stratford upon Avon
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a 7 night period, along with my mother and my 5 year old son, on Bed and Breakfast basis. When we arrived with our driver/guide he was unsure of where to park and no member of staff at the front of the hotel appeared to help. They also did not seem that interested in helping us with our luggage.

Once inside we were welcomed by front of house and offered a seat while we checked in. The lady checking us in was friendly and polite, each time she saw my son during our stay she remembered his name and went out of her way to speak to him. We were provided with a welcome drink and cold towel, this was a nice gesture. However, the cardboard drinks mat put under my drink had obviously been used before and was stained and dirty, plus my towel had a large sized hole in it.

We we're taken to our room by the same lady who had checked us in and our bags were brought up to the room after a short time. It is clear that not only in this hotel but others too, that staff such as bell boys in Sri Lanka expect a tip each time they help with anything.

The room was comfortable, having a double bed and a separate put up bed for my son. I had in fact booked a twin room with an extra bed, but was too tired to deal with this. The double bed was quite small and I shared this with my mother, each time either of us moved in the night it woke the other one up. My sons extra bed was placed at the bottom of the double bed, so if I needed to get out of bed in the night I either had to climb over my mother or over my sons bed.

The bathroom is pretty outdated and dark, there were 2 tiles missing from the area around the toilet, showing bare cement. On 2 consecutive evenings we had to call reception for maintenance to come and fix the toilet as this would not flush. The flush itself without this additional problem is rather hard and is a press button on top of the surface above the toilet, my mother whom has arthritis in her hands could not use the flush and I had to do it on her behalf.

The air conditioning in the room was very good and could be used with or without the additional fan. The lighting in the room is mainly worked by a panel by the door and another in the middle of the bed headboard. Both panels are very dated and dirty and with their being several lights it was a case of going through them all to see which one worked which light.

During our stay we had an issue with very small ant like insects in our room. We managed this ourselves until the end of our stay when it became worse. A member of staff came to our room and we explained that there were such insects in the wardrobe and they were entering our safety deposit box. The member of staff was very good and he was able to remove the insects. My concern was that he simply lifted our safety deposit box out of the wardrobe, how is this a safety item if it can be removed from the room so easily? Any safety deposit boxes I have known previously are fixed to the wall thus making them secure. Important documents and ID may well have just been put in a locked suitcase.

We ate in the hotel restaurant in the lobby all but one evening, the food was beautiful and a good choice from the menu. There is also a children's menu and portions are quite large. The usual waiter was friendly and provided good service. It was a shame that on our last evening he was working elsewhere and the service in the restaurant showed.

The hotel does have beautiful grounds and the gardeners work very hard to keep them looking that way. The swimming pool is large and it's shallow end was 1.2 metres deep, my son could not touch the bottom of the pool and I was constantly on edge due to this. There is a very small children's pool but this is more a splash pool as opposed to swimming pool.

I was alarmed during our stay how many loose and broken tiles there were at the bottom of the large pool, some friends of my sons had been collecting them from the bottom of the pool and in one small area they collected 59! It was upsetting to see that one of the children cut his foot on such broken tiles, however the following day another young person sliced his foot quite badly, he was at pool side with blood dripping from his foot. As I am first aid trained I went to help him, pool staff appeared to not know what to do. One even washed the blood away with pool water into the pool, I alerted the front of house member of staff who attended the incident about this and she said they would get all guests out of the pool and clean it. I was there for many hours afterwards and I saw guests getting in and out of the pool unknowingly in possibly contaminated water. I saw no action taken re cleaning the pool. The poor lad was in pain and a first aid kit was brought to him this contained dirty contents and I advised his mother not to allow it to be used on her son due to infection. The lad was taken to hospital and doctors wanted to stitch the open wound, he was also given anti biotics and was advised not to put pressure on the bandaged wound. He was seen for the remainder of our stay in a wheelchair.

The cleanliness of the hotel is poor, chairs at breakfast are in need of cleaning and this is not a few days of grime, one morning the top tablecloth had obviously been changed but the one hanging down underneath was dirty and had a hole in it. The room floor needed a good scrub, the main areas are clean but round the sides of areas there has been no attention given.

I am a well travelled individual and have stayed in several hotels around the world, I use trip advisor to obtain reviews and these inform my decisions re hotels, but regarding this hotel I feel the reviews left me feeling disappointed. I expected much more than what we received.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Chowy4
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor of your recent holiday.
Your constructive feedback is very much welcomed and cons mentioned have been directed to responsible persons for immediate action.
Look forward to welcome you back in the very near future.
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel looks very old now,, previous glory of blue waters is not there now.. This was a place I used to love..hotel needs a lot of renovation..

Food is good. Restaurant staff's response time is good.. But the restaurant is very congested, was waiting to be seated more than 30?minutes,,, Housekeeping and other maintenance staff response time to be improved.

Ruined the relaxing night by Sam the Man's decision to allow guests to sing,, it became a karaoke kind of thing but was very annoying..

Checking time was very slow,, didn't get the the extra bed for two hours..

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank DeSilva293962
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the review posted on TripAdvisor for the benefit of future guest to the hotel.
We are very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your weekend at the blue water. We have always been very popular among Sri Lankans and foreign guest for our Sunday family lunch and been school holiday season crowds are expected. We don’t entertain reservations during meal times and seating is based o first come first served to be fair to all guests.
Look forward to welcome you back and perhaps to our new wing rooms the next time your travels bring closer to Wadduwa.
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The hotel and the staff and the place is really amazing. menu and options are really brilliant... Good place to go for an holiday. travel time from Colombo would take roughly an 1 hr , which makes it an ideal and perfect location for family trip.

staff and the place as commented prior is excellent.

Best and sad part is its renown for the pool, however we found few tiles had come off from the pool below which is bit scary to walk or stand inside the pool when you play games as high changes of you gettign ur self hurt.

If they can look into that - it would be good place to go again.

Room Tip: Watch out for the pool tiles below as some had come off. one guest cut himself when he was swimming...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AU-1478
Janaka J, Manager at The Blue Water, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Guest,
We thank you for choosing the blue water hotel as your holiday destination and for posting a review on TripAdvisor for the benefit of future guest.
Compliments extended to staff are very much appreciated and have been passed on to the entire team. While we thank you for your feedback on pool tiles, it is been attended to as I write!
Look forward to welcome you back in the very near future when your travels bring you closer to us.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We recently stayed here for 1 night.
The rooms are very clean, large & comfortable.
The view is amazing. Beautiful tidy gardens and clean pool!
The bathroom was very modern, great shower pressure. Beds super comfy!
The best thing was the room service! BEST ROOM SERVICE EVER, I order a fried rice and my son some hot chips and vegetable soup. Everything was perfect. Best fried rice I have ever tasted!
We will definitely be staying here again! The staff were so warm and inviting too.
The only thing was missing for me was there was no hair dryer. But apart from that overall I would give this place a 10/10.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Janaka J, Manager at The Blue Water, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for reviewing the blue water hotel on TripAdvisor and compliments extended to service staff have been passed on, especially to the room service team!
We are very sorry to hear of the missing hair dryer and rest assured this has been attended to and will not be repeated to future guest.
Look forward to welcome you back when your travels bring you again to Sri Lanka.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We just came back last weekend form a 10 nights Honeymoon stay at The Blue Water.
We had an absolutely lovely time. For our honeymoon we got a room upgrade to a superior deluxe room with our own jacuzzi. The hotel room was lovely with a big balcony overlooking the gardens and pool. All rooms are having this view I believe.The only fault with the room is only having one hook for the towels to hang up in the bathroom and the electricity ( lighting and plugs) are in bit of weird places ( switching of the bathroom light in the top draw)
If you are looking for the bottle opener- it is behind the door in the bathroom ;-)
On some days the minibar drinks we used did not get replaced and the tiny towels got forgotten often. A quick call down to reception and it got replaced.
The housekeeping guys came at least 3 times during the day and left often a flower or good night greetings in the evening.
For our honeymoon we also received complementary chocolates, fruits and fruits in the room and also had a candlelight 5 course meal on one of the evenings. Initially we planned to have that in the garden but the weather wasn't that great so we had it at the Nautilus restaurant. The dinner was lovely!
We chose all inclusive for our stay and couldn't fault the food at all! My now husbands family is originally from Sri Lanka and the food at the hotel was very good. There were different theme nights but we mainly stayed with the traditional Sri Lankan curries and other food options. My absolute favourite are the hoppers and I could not wait for the next dinner they were served. Unfortunately that was only twice during our stay. Wasantha, in charge of the waiters took me and my husband to the lady doing the hoppers to acquire the recipe and instructing us how to do it. This was a lovely touch and we bought a hopper pan during our trip to Columbo and I can't wait to try to cook the hoppers myself soon.
The staff at the bars and restaurant were super friendly and did a great job. One of our main waiters was Mahesh. He was very friendly and made us feel like nothing is too much to ask.
Also Sirantha and Tharidu are 2 waiters that went the extra mile, talked to us a lot and made us feel welcome.
The drinks included in the all inclusive menu were a good choice. It can just be a bit annoying to always sign for everything you consume even when being on all inclusive. Sometimes we forgot after dinner and just walked off and then had a waiter chasing us.
We went on 3 trips organised by our travel company and stayed out of the hospital for the whole day. We took breakfast and lunch packs for these trips. Unfortunately they were a bit disappointing and I think the hotel needs to improve on these a little bit.
If you think of the massive selection of foods you can have at the hotel, a dry cheese sandwich and 2 sausages, a banana and a piece of pineapple are not that satisfying for breakfast. Lunch was the same boring cheese sandwich with a piece of chicken escalope and again some banana and pineapple.
Also for our honeymoon we had already organised in advance via our travel agent to have a photo shooting with our wedding clothes in the hotel, garden and by the beach. We also pre booked an elephant to have pictures taken. Everything was organised well and here I have to mention Sanka from reception. He was lovely in organising our photo shoot and also the candlelight dinner. He was always very approachable when we had any other question related to anything around the hotel.
During our stay we were not able to swim in the sea as it was far too rough. We enjoyed staying in the hotels garden and the swimming pool has a very good size. Unfortunately there are quite a lot of loose tiles and in the future the pool will need a serious overhaul.
It only got very crowded on the weekends when locals are staying during the day. Otherwise there was plenty of space and the pool attendants were pretty quick in setting up the sun loungers with fresh towels as soon as we arrived.
There is a pool bar nearby were you can order drinks and snacks and then they deliver them to your sun lounger. The only problem we had there then are the crows. They see as soon as food is on the way and they don't leave you alone. If there are still glasses and plates on the tables and you decide to go for a swim the tables and loungers get attacked badly by the crows and unfortunately they often poo on everything. The glasses need to get cleared a little more often I think.
The hotel also has a Spa attached on site. We got a complimentary 30 mins massage with the honeymoon package and booked a further 3 massages and other treatments. The staff there was professional and very good. The only thing I would suggest here is offering some Aryuvedic treatments as they are traditional for Sri Lanka and it was a shame I could not try them. The Spa offered balinese treatments.
We really really enjoyed our stay and maybe we will be back for an anniversary trip in the future with another nice room upgrade hopefully.
I can highly recommend this hotel for a super relaxing stay! I want to go back right now :-)

Room Tip: Go for a room upgrade if you can afford it!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Janaka J, Manager at The Blue Water, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the blue water hotel as your preferred hotel and for the detailed posting on TripAdvisor for the benefit of future guest.
While we thank you for the compliments extended to staff and related services, comments and suggestions stated for improvement in said areas will be forwarded to responsible persons for immediate improvement.
Once again thank you and look forward to welcome you back in the very near future.
Entire blue water team joins me in wishing both of you a very happy and a long wedded life!
Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wadduwa
Taprobana Wadduwa by Asia Leisure
#1 of 10 in Wadduwa
Tangerine Beach Hotel
Tangerine Beach Hotel
#6 of 11 in Kalutara

Been to The Blue Water? Share your experiences!