“The Flamingo Grand .... my bed in the sky”
Review of Flamingo Grand

Flamingo Grand
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Albena
Woking, United Kingdom
“The Flamingo Grand .... my bed in the sky”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I am a regular visitor to Bulgaria as my partner is Bulgarian and I love the country. When it was time for my parents first visit to Bulgaria we spent a great deal of time researching hotels which would suit their specific needs and settled on 'The Flamingo Grand' having been less than enthused by some of our previous hotel stays. This was the right choice. Of course it was equipped with all the amenities you would expect from a modern hotel but it went a great deal further.
As a surprise for my parents we wanted to get access to their room early so that we could leave a few gifts and family in jokes and the hotel were happy to oblige in beautiful and polite English then when my parents arrived at the hotel they were great smoothly and swiftly as I would have expected. We were all lead to our rooms which were immaculate spacious suits with a beautiful view down to the beach and flowing gauzy curtains through out adding a Mediterranean stylish elegance to the black sea ...... mmmmm relaxing.
At the end of the day the thing that really stood out for all of us though apart from the excellent polite and helpful service was the food. Breakfast was a bountiful supply of all Bulgaria has to offer along with all the essentials to make an English man at home. Not to mention the gorgeous dripping fresh honey comb which went marvelously on my fresh hand made pancakes. Dinner was a different hand carved roast every night along with well flavoured food from all around the world and finally there was the night with the hand made Crepe Suzette....... WOW my life was complete or was when a roaming Mariachi band stopped by to serenade my international family.
The Flamingo Grand represents a fantastic hotel with excellent service, rooms and food. It is close to the beach and close to vibrant and historic Varna not to mention the historic wealth of eastern Bulgaria. I would happily recommend this to anyone weather you want to absorb some history and culture or relax in the sun. I loved it.

Room Tip: It is worth upgrading to a suit
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank matthew k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas, Usa
Reviewed 20 June 2014

It is a wonderful resort with the Black Sea nearby. I was there for a conference for 6 days and the restaurant was excellent for all meals. Also, the Bistro in the pool area was excellent. The rooms are well maintained with daily maid service. Of course the weather was perfect!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WEGY
Ludgvan, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

A lovely hotel. We had a wonderful time doing absolutely nothing. All the facilities were excellent, all the staff were friendly and helpful. The most relaxed holiday I've ever had. My favourite part of the day was lunch in the outdoor bistro, the waiters there were so friendly and funny and the food was great. The Half Board evening menu was patchy, some nights the selection was full of lovely, tempting things, other nights it wasn't so much to our taste, but that's our taste and I think the food was well catered for varied tastes. The one big irritation was that the whole resort seems to believe that loud music, coming from all directions is a good thing. It isn't, please just play the right music for the right time. Why did the Piano Bar think we wanted to listen to rave stuff? Tinkling piano is what you want from a piano bar. Ear-blasting Mini Disco music is great for the kids dancing in the pool activity, adult water polo doesn't require any background music. The simple sounds like children laughing, water splashing, lawns being mowed, quiet conversation, what's wrong with them?

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are best for families with children old enough to go to the pool by themselves...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kate M
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We have an excellent weekend in April 2014, 2 families, HB meal and the superb Spring Delight Spa program.
Initially we have bought a 3 night stay but we extended with an extra night because was so nice...
Even thou the weather in April weren’t that good we have filled our time with a lot of activities, trip and bicycles ride. I recommend this hotel for the good services and lovely staff. SPA facility was a very pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: The deluxe suite was quite nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Adriana F
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Excellent hotel, great facilities, wonderful staff! Rooms are spacious and cleaned daily, restaurant has many food items to choose from. Even though does not have a beachfront location (still, it's 200m away) it has a private beach dedicated to its guests.
We've been there each summer for 4 years and we'll continue to do so.

Room Tip: Better to go for the 5* rooms, deluxe category or more
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank catalin g
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I've been several times in this hotel and generally speaking it was a nice experience. It is the only non All-inclusive hotel in Albena and that's good since this concept is attracting poor quality people. So here you are mostly spared. The rooms are big and nice and the balcony the same. We've had always a nice experience at Flamingo and the prices are for a four stars hotel, that means good value for money.
And here are some minor setbacks to be improved, MR Manager from Holland, The food is good quality but they use a dirty trick to gain some money: There is no drinking water available at the buffet dinner or lunch; you have to buy it at an extravagant price for Bulgaria. One euro per half bottle of still Bulgarian water. This is cheap. Another setback that annoyed me a lot was the table tennis scam: for 3 euros an hour they gave us a wrecked table tennis racket.and a broken ball. This destroyed my son happy evening and all the excitement was gone after 5 minutes of playing. But we've had chess for a change.
i'll be beck at Flamingo Grand for sure and I strongly recommend the hotel. Romanians, Bulgarians and Russians please stay away from this place. This is not All Inclusive!

Room Tip: Studio executive is a perfect room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Radulian
Preslava I, Manager at Flamingo Grand, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear “Radulian”,

Thank you very much for your high score and time to rate us on TripAdvisor. Glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Flamingo Grand Hotel.

You may be curious to know that Albena resort offers another hotel on a different formula than All Inclusive in its 40 completely renovated superior rooms- Amelia Hotel. The hotel is a 3 star category, located just opposite Flamingo Grand Hotel at the main walk. However, Flamingo Grand still remains the only 5 star property offering a different, non-all inclusive high-end product.

I am sorry to hear that there have been few setbacks throughout your stay. The price of still water per 330 ml glass bottle at Essentials Restaurant is 2.20 BGN that equals 1.12 EUR and per 1 l glass bottle is 4.50 BGN that equals 2.30 EUR. I am surprised why it seemed so high, as pricing we determine in line with the market conditions, overall rates for goods in the country and the quality of the product. With regards to the table tennis rackets and balls, we have already replaced the equipment with a brand new one to make sure guests enjoy a pleasant and exciting game.

With pleasure, I remain to your attention for any further suggestions, inquiries and assistance.

Looking forward to welcoming you throughout your next visit at Flamingo Grand Hotel.

Best regards from Albena,

Preslava Ivanova
Product Manager
Albena JSCo
preslava@albena.bg
Fayence, France
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I've been 10 days in this hotel and had many problems with the services...
The hotel and rooms are beautiful.
The room service is horrible, they just bring you the dishes, no thank you, no bye, no cutlery...
The housekeeping is just cleaning the floor and change the sheet if you ask to. And once the girl put a bed sheet with a big trace of marker on it...
The minibar get filled up just 1 time in 10 days...
When you call room service they stop the phone before you finish what you have to say.
Most of the things to do are closed or not working at this period so you pay for things that you can't use.
And the best was to find in the sink a cockroach !
And when I told all of this things to the general manager, he just had answers to everything and didn't try to understand me. Nothing special has been done by him as it look like he doesn't care of his guest....

Horrible experience !
And I know how should be the service as I'm working in hospitality too...

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Dioski
Preslava I, Manager at Flamingo Grand, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Anthony B,

Thank you for sharing your comments on our hotel with TripAdvisor, it is only through our valuable guests’ feedback that we can maintain and improve our level of customer service that we aspire to have.

It is to our regret that part of your stay was not up to your expectation. Our team at Flamingo Grand Hotel have only reported your complaint during the last day of your 10 night stay. I truely believe that if we knew and discussed with you the issues that you have faced earlier throughout your stay, we would have been able to react and fulfill your needs and expectations to make sure you leave satisfied with your stay. In regards to your feedback, I would like to make several clarifications :

Flamingo Grand Hotel believes in preserving the quality of the environment and has implemented environmentally sustainable practices as an integral part of the service. We ask our guests to use a special card to inform us of their needs. In case this card is placed on the bed, we refrain from changing the bed linen. In case, the card is not placed on the bed, bed linen are replaced every 3 days. Our housekeeping staff has only found the card placed on the bed. Hence, bed linen was only changed when requested.

We offer our guests daily mini-bar service. The reason why your mini-bar was not refilled regularly was that the “Do Not Disturb” sign was always placed on the door during the three to four daily checks of your room, reported by our mini-bar attendant. In such cases we only refill the mini-bar when convenient and requested by our guests.

It is to my very unpleasant surprise that you have found a cockroach in your room. Such complaint is first of its kind, reported by a guest to be seen in a guestroom at Flamingo Grand Hotel. Regular insecticide prevention is undertaken in the hotel building and common areas in the resort by regulation to secure excellent hygiene and health-safety of our guests.

The room you have stayed in, is an executive studio. Breakfast and dinner included in the room rate. All executive services and facilities as early check in, late check out, breakfast served in the VIP lounge or en-suite, the Essentials Restaurant, extra SPA facilities as indoor pool, sauna, steam bath, caldarium, hydro massage shower and others were available throughout your stay. Thus, it is not fair to say that you pay for things that you can’t use. I agree that not all leisure activities in the resort, outside the hotel are fully operational but this is due to the fact that summer season starts in June and climate conditions are still unfavorable.

Now, we have our sport facilities, sun beds and umbrellas on the beach and the pools available, SPA and medical center, souvenir shops, night club and most of our a la carte restaurants operating. The beach sport facilities, shopping districts, supermarkets and all other a la carte restaurants and pubs will be open very soon. I believe that you have been left with the impression that almost nothing is operational due to small number of guests in Albena and the quiet atmosphere around. However, I would like to assure you that all facilities in the operating hotels are at the full disposal of our guests.

Having the room service order with no cutlery as described above is not tolerated as our standard of service. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. The management and the concerned staff have been requested to a immediate corrective notice as a remark.

With pleasure, I remain to your attention in case you would like to make any additional remarks, or for any further inquiries and assistance. I hope you will have another opportunity to stay with us when you are next in Albena and please contact me at that time so that I can oversee your stay.

Yours sincerely,