“Not for the ENGLISH!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Albena
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Not for the ENGLISH!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I booked this last minute, cheap break for me and my boyfriend. I've been to Bulgaria three times before sunny beach and Golden sands but never to Albena so thought a change would be nice.... How wrong was I...
We landed at Burgas airport in the early hours, the transfer took us 3.5 hours so I advise you fly into varna, transfer much quicker. We was taken to a small reception area and I knew straight away we wasn't in the main hotel but in the Gardens... We was taken to our room they are small with a tiny wardrobe 2 single beds pushed together and a single bed on its own. Bathroom was small and smelt terrible the whole week. Ants all over the floor. Balcony was dirty and needed painting, we used the spare bed to put our clothes on as no storage, god help if there is more than 2 of you in the room. Only nice thing about the room was the air con... I no your not in the room much but you always went someone decent to come back to.
The pool area is not much better, slippy floors and steps (many people fell over) broken tiles and drain grates around the pool and instead of them being mended they place umbrella bases over the top. You struggle to get a sunbed and they are uncomfortable the whole area could do with a good clean. The bridge over the pool is still not in use and we was told it's been like that for 7 years.
Restaurant is like a cattle market, I have never been on holiday with such a bunch of rude people with no MANNERS what so ever. They don't cue and are so greedy they pile the food on there plates and leave most of it. Breakfast is not for us English no bacon,beans or normal sausages the whole week, who want's pasta and salad for breakfast. Lunch time was about the best. We ate out 3 nights as the food was the same every night and when there is only potatoes and rice cause they can't provide enough chips or meat your waiting that long the rest of the food on your plate is cold. I did complain to the hotel manager the one night and ended up throwing my empty plate on table and walked out....if people are not going to eat the food they put on there plates maybe there would be enough for everyone else!!! (You will no what I mean when you go).
Bar Staff are not very friendly and are rude and don't understand English. All inclusive drinks not much selection no entertainment at night at all.
We went down the 165 steps every night to walk round the shops and have a few drinks not 1 English bar where you could have a bit of entertainment.
Beach is lovely... Out of the week we had 4 nice sunny days and some terrible storms that lasted all day so was stuck in the room. Yes it was a holiday and we relaxed but we would never go to Albena again. Think twice before you go ;0)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

All the negative comments about this hotel are so true! I wish I had taken on board the comments before going ahead with booking. So awful, myself and sister caught flight home early.
The food is awful (cereal still out for tea time, pasta out for breakfast...?)
Room is very dirty.
Pool is okay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Hollie M

Travellers are raving about these Albena hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have not been in holiday together for 5 years and with his work schedule being so busy we booked last minute to Bulgaria... We have been before to Sunny Beach so thought we would try the other side... With the cheap price we said why not so booked it instantly...

I will give the honest truth as i can tell you a lot of the reviews are wrong..

When we arrived into Varna we looked for the Balkan rep and he advised us to go to bus 27. We waited only a few minutes before the bus started to move... The young girl who was our rep on the way to the hotel was reading a script and was very boring at what she was saying but she was just doing her job.

35 minutes later we arrived at the hotel.. We entered into this little dark room with 2 desks.. One for the Balkan rep and the other for the check-in staff... At this point we thought what the hell have we done (keep reading).

We were shown to our room by one of the staff (212) and was happy with what we were giving... 2 wardrobes 1 single and one double... A double bed and a single bed... There was only two of us so we used the single bed for our clothes as not many coat hangers... The bathroom was quite small with a shower (no bath) but your on holiday it doesn't have to be huge... The balcony is a decent size with two chairs and a small table... This looked over into the Greenland and the restaurant to the left..

Walking down to the pool and there are a few steps so just be careful... There are 3 pools 2 big pools one which the slides go into however still plenty of room to swim.. And the smaller one is for small children... There are 2
Waterfalls which are quite beautiful... Two bars one between the pools and one at the snack bar...
These open at 10am...
The middle one closes at 5 and the snack bar one closes at midnight however 11-12 you have to pay for your drinks..

The snack bar can open anytime between 11/11.30 and closes at 16.30.. This consists of pizza, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumber, sausages, mostly every day with very little change on the other days... Be careful of the masses of foreigners that go to the snack bar as soon as it opens takes 10 slices of pizza.. The chef had to stand and dish out in the end... Of course unlimited Ice cream..

The animation team come on about 10 am but very poor although the team work well the performance is not all that.. At 1 pm til 4pm no music is allowed because people are "sleeping" this is ridiculous so ensure you being your own speakers..

The restsurant has a few steps up to it and it is a school canteen... The BBQ at the front only does one selection a day and again the foreigners think it's their last supper and then leave hundreds of good on the table... We use to cue for our food but when individuals started to push in we started to do the same....

There is a lot of wasted space in here and it could be utilised a little better... At night this could be turned into the section for evening entertainment but it's around the pools edge... Bit strange..

There is another reception area and that was lovely so don't know why we weren't taken into there...

The pool could do with a good scrub and tokes replaced we had no problems with our room and although the food is like a German breakfast and not catered for the British much you will find something you like.

Please don't go here if you struggle with steps as even going up to the town (walking) there are a lot of steps.

Overall a great holiday

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank samgibbo12
East Sussex, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Good value for money.

Some aspects of All - Inclusive could be improved. There are long queues for chips & pancakes each day while the rest of your food goes cold. Sometimes a little difficult to find a place to sit within preferred area as music a bit too loud in main restaurant as it should be background not instead of conversation. Meat is often undercooked for UK tastes. There is a good choice & bread was lovely fruit available at each meal too.Lots of steps up to restaurant Also a barbecue with one meat or fish choice per meal. Restaurant workers were a mixed bunch. Didn't really appreciate some just shrugging shoulders in a dismissive way (but what effort did I make to speak Bulgarian to be fair) but others went out of their way to try & help.

Our room was above 'the chambermaids rest room so we got smell of smoke into our rooms every day so every day had to close our balcony door & use air conditioning instead it just seemed to coincide with when we wanted to be in the room. We were in The Garden. Ensuite was tiny but wasn't planning on spending too much holiday in there. Room had 3 Beds - 1 single 1 double. Found mattress firm & comfortable. Towels changed daily. Yes there was some staining to counterpains as people have mentioned but my sheets pillowcases & towels beautifully clean were. Rooms in the main hotel were larger

Hotel swimming pools were nice. Last day a different nationality accused the Brits of 'stealing' their umbrella & sunbeds.They were the family whose towels were on the sunbed from before 7:30am but never came down to the pool until midday. The umbrella was taken by someone else & their sunbeds got moved down into the sun as people moved their own sun beds to get some shade, NO IT IS NOT YOUR SUNBED - they belong to the hotel & all guests have a right to use them if they are not being used. A few more umbrellas needed but always found a sunbed.
There is a free shuttle bus every half hour to the beach (about 15 min walk down steps or 30 mins back up!). The beach is gorgeous but we spent time at the pool. There is a snack bar that you can help yourself to pizza,wedges sausages & salad. In the afternoon ice-cream - was yummy.

Hotel is surrounded by trees, there is work needing to be done particularly for safety reasons but children should be supervised anyway. Standards in other countries are often lower than here in the UK so this should be considered no matter where you travel. This resort is family friendly so make sure you take extra care of your little ones by the pool.

Entertainment low key - animation team excellent. They bothered to take time to talk to guests.Lots of kids attended the mini disco by the pool each evening. They work long hours & some people seem to treat them as unpaid baby sitters the whole of their shift.

Loved my holiday - time to relax after a stressful few months - would go again. Would prefer a room in the main hotel but balconies in "The Garden" were more private. Would prefer a pool view though. No sea views as way to far from the sea.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms noisy & dark in the garden block. Things did not dry quickly on the airer in...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank lyke2snype
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Booked a last minute deal so price for all inclusive plus transfers & flights excellent value. Was very disappointed on arrival as we were dropped off at main Hotel Magnolia reception (nice enough) then we had to follow bellhop to the more shabby Magnolia Garden reception. Lugging a heavy case up steps at speed hurt my back. Not the best start.

Was disappointed with 1st impressions of room. We soon settled in & bed comfortable (firm). Never any sunlight to our room or balcony but maybe kept room cooler in searing temperatures. The plus was that when my daughter finally was given a wifi password she was able to use it in our room so that kept her happy. Our room consisted of a single bed & a smallish double bed plus small bathroom with shower. Always plenty of warm water whatever time I used it. Also a couple of small bars of soap & 2 mini bottles of shower/shampoo cream provided at beginning of stay so handy before you have unpacked. Was not far to walk to the restaurant via metal staircase at other end of our block. Rooms in other building (main hotel) were bigger with more storage & a lift.

2nd disappointment was no key to our safe. We were offered a safe in the other reception but just not suitable. Nothing went missing from our room & our cleaner was efficient & friendly.

Food fairly repetitive but there was never a meal where I could't find something to eat. My daughter lived on bread & chips but is always fussy no matter where we travel in the World. The queue for chips was a nightmare & people are so greedy the amount they pile on their plates (then leave) was ridiculous. Fruit was lovely & available at each meal. Some of the food servers were incredibly rude but others were brilliant. Tall young man with fair hair & female 'chef lady' especially deserve a mention for being helpful. My daughter became very well known to the bar staff for the amount of pepsi she drank (the other part of her staple diet). Pepsi was watered down but got used to it - have certainly had worse in UK pubs & restaurants.

We stayed at the pool rather than venture to the beach on packed buses (but they are free) every 30 mins. Possibly a 15 minute walk down steps to a lovely sandy beach.

Now the animation staff. I would like to give them a special mention. Thank you particularly to Jordan, Plamen & Moni (her English is fab & the lads very good).They really made an effort & would say they made our holiday special. Every day they would talk to guests round the pool (trying to get us to join in but accepting that we were too boring to bother). They also did several evening shows at the ampitheatre behind Hotel Orchidea. Not having evening entertainment at the hotel was actually a bonus for not being disturbed. There was a power cut during the children's mini disco. Moni & Jordan continued the time with the kids by singing & dancing with them. Well done to them for doing that.

The hotel has a rule quiet after 11pm - shame my neighbours were unable to comprehend this by waking me 3 nights running after midnight.

The town is down the steps near the beach. Lots of tourist shops.stalls to look at. I had a 15 min fish spa that left my feet feeling smooth. Really reasonable price approx £7.50 for 15 mins - recommended.

I would not recommend this hotel to people with mobility issues. Although ramps have been added these are steep & there are lots of steps up to the restaurant.

Went on a couple of organised trips but wish I hadn't. The Jeep safari was OK but ending up with a tummy upset during the day really spoilt it. The yacht picnic was not as expected. The trip was described a to a secluded beach. There were more than 30 passengers on our yacht & when we arrived at small strip of beach along with 3 other yachts of similar size. Over 100 people is not my idea of secluded There was also a free beach each side with even more people from the local camping ground.

Final point is if you can fly to Varna. Transfer is 35 minutes.but from Bourgas over 3 hours. Would definitely be happy to return to this hotel & resort of Albena. Not an 18/30 destination so suited me fine.

Room Tip: Rooms bigger in Hotel Magnolia than Magnolia Gardens - same Complex. Rooms with pool view much nicer...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank kez64
Sevenoaks
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Could not fault the staff! They were on the whole friendly and welcoming. The Magnolia in it's day would have been a great hotel. It is now somewhat tired and there are repairs that need doing that are a safety issue. Tiles on the stairs and around the pools are loose and are sharp and a trip hazard. The grate around the pool is broken and or missing in many places. Witnessed another guest trip on the missing grate and cut their leg. The rooms are small and top bed sheets were stained. Long queues in the buffet. If the hotel was better maintained it would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
4 Thank GreteJJames
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

The good prices in Bulgaria made me go in a 2nd trip there. I stayed at this hotel and I got nothing to complain about.

The rooms are nice and clean and the staff is very friendly.

I had a good time talking to the barmans there and I enjoyed the shots and cocktails they prepared.

The price/quality ratio makes me give it a 5 star.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple