“Stolen Jewellery”

Ranked #21 of 220 Hotels in Sunny Beach
London, England, United Kingdom
“Stolen Jewellery”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

If I had written this review before I returned home it would have been very positive, The hotel is clean and functional and I thought good value for money. But having discovered on my return that I had had some jewellery stolen I want to warn anyone staying here to make sure that any valuables are locked away.

It seems that the items were taken from the room on my last morning when I was out at the pool. I had packed, but the case was unlocked. As I was checking out at noon, I did not expect anyone to be in the room. I think this was all very well planned, as of course there is very little, you can do once you are home. I phoned the hotel 3 times and they were uncooperative to say the least. I have also emailed but received no reply. It is also clear that this was not a random act, as they knew to take the 3 most valuable items.

Not a good end to the holiday, so please be very careful with your valuables as I do not think any of the staff can be trusted.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank Jill J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I would like to report a very bad experience my wife and myself had at this hotel. We took lift number 1 to go to the 6th floor. On arriving at the 6th floor the lift doors did not open. So we thought we will go down and so pressed all the floors button but the lift would not move, By this time it was getting very hot and we were getting anxious, I then pressed the emergency bell button in the lift but no response. I kept the bell button pressed for over 5 mins but no response. Just by pure luck, my wife had her mobile with her as we are not in habit of carrying our mobile when on holiday. There was a notice in the lift, “in case of emergency please ring 00 359 888 508 806”. I rang this number and a gentleman answered in Bulgarian and I told him in English that we were stuck in the lift. He said something in Bulgarian and put the phone down. After few minutes I rang him again and I told hem that we were stuck in the lift in Ivana Palace Hotel and he said “ring the reception” and I told him I didn’t have the number for the reception but he ignored me and put the phone down. Luckily I had my dinner card with hotel’s address and phone number and by ringing the desk we got rescued.

When I went to see the Hotel Manager next day, she was extremely defensive and put the complete blame on us saying that we should have not pressed the button for the 6th floor. Her attitude was extremely rude, no sympathy or apology and she tried to make out that it was all our fault. There was no apology for the fact that the emergency bell wasn’t working and lift was getting stuck. When I told her what was the point of putting an emergency telephone number when they couldn’t help, her reply was that it was required by law to put the lift maintenance number. What good is that to anyone who is stuck?

So it was just by luck we had our mobile and also by luck that I had reception’s number. I dread to think what would have happen if we didn’t have either of these two.

Apart from that bad incidence the hotel was very good and clean. Food was a bit disappointing and we wished we had not gone for the half board deal as the dinner was almost the same everyday and the fact that it so cheap to eat out.

One other amusing thing is that for dinner, drinks from either the bar or supermarket is not allowed and also you can’t buy the drinks from the restaurant so if you fancy some wine with your food, sorry not allowed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank uttam420
nottingham
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Couldn't fault this hotel on anything except the small selection of food in the hotel restaurant. it was all tasty but wasn't very much choice or verity. The room we had on the 3rd floor (305)over looked the pool and was a lovely size, no problems at all with our room/bathroom. the shower was slightly temperamental as in it either pointed to your feet or to the ceiling but a bit of jiggling worked in the end.
Hotel is situated about a 5-7 min walk from the beach and main strip of Sunny Beach, i will however point out that the sea is full of Jelly fish (or was at the time of year we went). Also a local barman told us not to walk through the little wooded area as you head towards the beach at night as there are gypsies that live there and can be quite scary.
The pool at the hotel was brilliant, nice and cool (a little too cool at first but perfect for when the temps get too high) and there is a pool side bar (we didn't use it but seemed popular) and the bar inside was lovely with 2-4-1 cocktails all day. All of the hotel staff seemed happy to help however some of the cleaning staff we're a little grumpy, but the rooms we're tidied everyday with fresh towels everyday too.
However i can't say that we would return to this hotel as we figured out that Sunny Beach just wasn't the place for us but don't let that put you off staying in this fantastic hotel :)

Room Tip: rooms over the pool have a much better view and are in the sun all day long (perfect for balcony sun...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sammy f f
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I stayed at Hotel Ivana Palace with 3 friends in August 2013. We had two lovely, clean twin rooms both with balconies. Excellent value for money and a super buffet breakfast each morning. The hotel is about a 7 minute walk to the beach.
The restaurant was open all day and they would serve you your food by the pool if required. The hotel has a gym- very old equipment, but I enjoyed it anyway!
The only reason I'm not rating the hotel as excellent is because of 2 mysterious disappearances from our hotel room- my friends old trainers and a travel sized bottle of aftershave! Odd things to choose to take, so I'm hoping/presuming they were near the bin and thrown out by mistake when the room was cleaned.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sunseeker99944
Magdeburg, Germany
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The standard in the hotel is okay. Room is fine but that's about it. The food is not to recommend. Apart from the strange ways to somehow order or not order drinks during dinner, the food seems to be more fast food and the same every three days. The milk in the morning is almost like water.
Concerning the room: if you are non smoker, try to get a room next to someone who doesn't smoke, because you will smell everything. Apart from hearing everything. The cleaning staff is unfriendly and the change your towels every day, even if you don't want it.

Room Tip: Any room should do. Depends on your neighbors.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Exar_Kunz
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We are from MACEDONIA, and we're at Ivana Palace (my self, wife, 10 year daughter and 11 months baby boy) for the first time and were more than satisfied. A great hotel for the money paid. Located just 3-4 minutes from the beach, and close enough to the center of the resort, yet far enough from the noise made by the youngsters. What I can also say is that the Hotel (rooms) were cleaned every day, and towels changed on daily basis. It also has very clean pool with decent size. Breakfasts is OK, too. I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to spend a great time in Bulgaria.

Room Tip: Choose room 301A.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank IgorKuzevski
Romania
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Payed for 5 nights, stayed for only 1 in late august 2013. We got there, got the room, there were some problems until we found out late in the night, that we didn't get the room we payed for. Went to the reception, they told us, that they will handle it the next morning. Got up, went for breakfeast and then to the reception. Stayed there for an hour, arguing for nothing because they didn't bother. In the end we went back to our room, dissapointed. The real dissapointment came when we realised that while we were at the reception, we were robbed. I have to mention, that the door closes automatically and you need a key to open it. And there was no sign of the door being forced. All our money were missing and some other things. Back to te reception, they did not care at all, did not want to call the police, the manager said to me: how can I know that you even had money? Disgusting!!! 15 minutes later I got back to the room to check if something else is missing, and I observed that somebody was in our room AGAIN! Finally we left this establishmnent.
Watch out, whoever stole our money had keys to the room, and I really suspect that the managemnet knows about it, because they weren't surprised, neither helpfull to find out what happened. They didn't call the police, they didn't question their staff, didn't want to show us their camera's, nothing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple