“Not really 4 Star and not much was included!”

smartline Meridian Hotel
Ranked #69 of 220 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Not really 4 Star and not much was included!”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This was a last minute break and the hotel looked great on the website.
The room itself was large, clean and had a lovely balcony overlooking the pool, with a distant view of the sea. The beds were comfortable and everything worked apart from the air conditioning (which wasn't an issue as it was not hot enough to need it).
However from that point on it seemed to be a constant exercise in grabbing money...sunbeds, parasols, cushions, our key replacement (the plastic was so worn it snapped but somehow that was our fault), and the parking (a small dusty patch of land at the back with no security, no parking bays and no rules about who could park there; so what had we paid for exactly?) I thought I had paid for a package but it would seem not.
I found the staff to be surly and unfriendly.
Breakfast was ok but nothing special and I was very relieved I did not have to eat any other meals there.
Outside was a great family run restaurant which did amazing breakfast and 24 hour shop which sold very cheap sandwiches and beer.
The resort itself was noisy and tacky and all the restaurants seemed to think I would only be able to order food if I could see a picture of it...this reminded me of Spain in the 1980s. I wanted a top class restaurant but they did not exist. We did enjoy the skewer kebabs in 'The House' and we did find a little Chinese restaurant one town along the coast but if you didn't have a car you wouldn't be able to reach it.
Everything was very cheap though and this with the weather made up for the rest. We also enjoyed driving into Nessebar for the old town and the sunset.
I would not return to Bulgaria again but that is not because it was dreadful just not really to my taste.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view and executive room. Rooms with other aspects were noisy or overlooked carparks.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Spiritus26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I am just back and found this a lovely hotel and the staff were certainly cheery enough to us ,I had a lovely spacious room on the tenth floor ,only downside was that we got woken up every morning with chairs scraping along the resteraunt floor but hey ho our view made up for that . Some folk have got to find something to moan about or their holidays not being good . I even heard someone say the Bulgarians did not speak very good English I had to bite my tounge , and ask him how good he was at the local lingo !!!!! ., so don't listen it all the bad reviews we went to a great wee bar (Morris ) on the beach front the food was brill and the couple singing well in one word WOW ! Take a trip to nessebar it's beautiful , and only 1levi on the bus .Deffinatly be back as soon as my purse lets me

Room Tip: If you don't like getting woke up at 8 every morning don't take the 10 th floor as its under...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Janet F
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I found the hotel to be very nice. The staff were good and the service was good. It was clean, and friendly. Yes if you weren't all inclusive you had to pay for sun loungers, and cushions were extra to all guests, but it stops people saving the loungers when they aren't going to use them. It was a 5 minute walk from the beach, the people in their shops that you have to walk past weren't pushy to get you to buy their goods. The beach was lovely, But again you had to pay for sun loungers and umbrellas.
The food in the hotel was good, and varied each day, lots of stew dishes. But the restaurants that were close we're cheap enough if you fancied something different.
The only disappointing thing I found in this hotel were the other guests. Some were rude to other guests and I found them rude to the staff as well. It doesn't cost anything to say please and thank
you!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank Suzie0000
Kidderminster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Just come back from 2 week stay. Overall a good hotel . Rained first few days but 2nd week really warm!Took family with two small kids. The food was really good - lots of choice ! Nice setting on top floor as well with good views of Sunny Beach. Staff OK - could be a bit more cheerful but didn't have to deal with them much. Corner Pub good for the bingo . The House excellent for Karaoke. Kharma (just before the House )good with a liitle garden in back for a nice quiet drink ! The Harp great food and nice friendly staff!
The main part is about 20 min walk along promenade - bit further is a few more beach side places whichn the kids enjoyed especially Fat Cats!
Trip to Nessebar well woth it just 1 Lev on bus.
Good beach with white clean sand and warm sea . Shallow and safe for the kids.
Overall billiant holiday - we are thinking of going back next year !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Philip G
glasgow
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I'd been to Sunny Beach and seen this hotel before booking, so was looking forward to it. I wasn't disappointed. I was travelling with one of my friends, and we really were impressed by our room which was spacious, nicely decorated and had a minibar :-). beds were really comfy, and we really like breakfast, they have someone making pancakes in the restaurant every morning with a variety of hot and cold food. Only complaint is orange juice wasn't cold! The lifts were a bit of a pain, you often had to wait for the glass ones for several minutes, but we tended to use the one in the restaurant and walk round when we got to our floor. We had a room looking onto the side, not the pool, which would have been nice, but we weren't there to sit in the room. Staff weren't overly friendly, and we always managed to get a sun bed which unfiortunately you do need to pay for! Plenty of decent bars and restuarants near by, and also close to the beach. Would recommend, compared to some of the other places we saw when walking around!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ilovemarmaris08
Salford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

we went 2 girls and got a superior room start of June 2012 and were impressed. The room was massive and overlooked the sea. The towels are changed daily as were the the beds. This part of sunny beach is so good, everyone here is really friendly, and i would come back in a flash. We only went bed and breakfast and the breakfast was nice but we ate out every night and the best places to eat are the corner pub (best staff here aswell) this pub is just under your hotel and the 100% family restaurant with friendly staff, also under the hotel as you step out. The Harp is really nice and cheap food. The beach is literally 2 minutes away and everywhere is really clean, we read these reviews before we went and were gutted thinking we were going to get a horrible hotel and crap holiday but this place is just brilliant, if you have kids they will love it too, the bulgarians love kids and there is loads for them to do. Only thing I will say is the showers leak a bit (so what???) and u get charged 20 lev (£8) to replace it so just be careful and dont get drunk and snap it while laughing like a moron haaaa. Will be back again to same hotel if I can next year!! xx

Room Tip: Make sure you book superior room its massive and looks over the sea x
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed 4 June 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel in july last year for 7 nights bed and breakfast.

Initially the staff seemed friendly enough but a few of the female members were quite rude but we chose to simply not deal with them! Two men took our bags to the room and they were very friendly and helpful.

The rooms were very nice i would say. Cleaned each day and were nice and cool!

The hotel had a great pool and some good facilities inside. The breakfast was great. Had alot of choice and was very nice food. Was enjoyable sitting outside on the roof restaurant.

The location was very good. Stepped out and literally everything was there. The beach wasnt far at all! And this was one of my favourite things. Gorgeous sandy beach with an amazing bar there simply called 'beach bar'. All white interior and seating on the beach. Staff were very friendly!

Loved this holiday overall. Very cheap, hotel was nice, excellent food at all the restaurants we ate at (try condor...very cheap and excellent food/service!) gorgeous beach, plenty to see and do! Oh and try the excursion to the city of varna and dolphin show...great day out.

Would certainly go back! :)

• Stayed July 2011