“Close enough for fun, far enough to chill.”

smartline Meridian Hotel
Ranked #67 of 221 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Got into the hotel about 3 am local time and shown to our room everyone was polite and helpfull. The whole time of our stay everyone was polite and helpfully although sometimes a little abrupt. Food was excellent my partner is a very very fussy eater and managed to have something every meal bar 1. All around the hotel are bars and restaurants and most places do buy 1 get 1 free on cocktails. Fully recommend frankos and the bottom of the hotel if you want a laugh at stumbling distance from your room. Already planning a return trip.

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank MB_and_JC
There are newer reviews for smartline Meridian Hotel

Reviewed 13 June 2012

THe Meridian Hotel in the centre of Sunny Beach, very unsure at first after being told some horror storys from a Thomas Cook rep on the coach from the airport, he didnt realise me and the wife were staying there (reported this rep to our Thomas Cook rep next daynext).
However, on entering the hotel at 3 in the morning staff were pleasent and very helpfull, a special mention to the maid on our floor, she went out of her way to make sure our stay was as comfortable as possible, why would she, you might ask, did you tip her vast amounts of money, no actually we just showed her the respect i would expect if it was my vocation.
Issues we heard about when we were there was the toilets were broken and smelly all the time and the main one was the lifts were always broken.
I found yes the toilets broken but staff were on top of it as soon as humanly possible, the main issue was the clientell, lots of teenagers from all nationalities and toilets were the main focus once the drink was flowing, as for the lifts, well with so many people and the resteraunt on the top floor, sheer volume of people meant the lifts were at full capasity at meal times and people did have to wait but that is something you must take into account.
We enjoyed our stay, no issues with the room, the location was bang in the centre of town so we ate out at the many eateries on the strip.
Entertainment was new and fresh and for me, i had my fix of English football every night.
So what would i recomend, well first thing the Meridian is an ideal base to explore everything that is good about Sunny Beach, dont bother with meals as there is food for all tastes at a realistic prices just minutes from the hotel door, as for the toilets, use the one in your room, you know no one else will break that one, and finally relax and enjoy your stay.
Happy Holidays

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This was a last minute break and the hotel looked great on the website.
The room itself was large, clean and had a lovely balcony overlooking the pool, with a distant view of the sea. The beds were comfortable and everything worked apart from the air conditioning (which wasn't an issue as it was not hot enough to need it).
However from that point on it seemed to be a constant exercise in grabbing money...sunbeds, parasols, cushions, our key replacement (the plastic was so worn it snapped but somehow that was our fault), and the parking (a small dusty patch of land at the back with no security, no parking bays and no rules about who could park there; so what had we paid for exactly?) I thought I had paid for a package but it would seem not.
I found the staff to be surly and unfriendly.
Breakfast was ok but nothing special and I was very relieved I did not have to eat any other meals there.
Outside was a great family run restaurant which did amazing breakfast and 24 hour shop which sold very cheap sandwiches and beer.
The resort itself was noisy and tacky and all the restaurants seemed to think I would only be able to order food if I could see a picture of it...this reminded me of Spain in the 1980s. I wanted a top class restaurant but they did not exist. We did enjoy the skewer kebabs in 'The House' and we did find a little Chinese restaurant one town along the coast but if you didn't have a car you wouldn't be able to reach it.
Everything was very cheap though and this with the weather made up for the rest. We also enjoyed driving into Nessebar for the old town and the sunset.
I would not return to Bulgaria again but that is not because it was dreadful just not really to my taste.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view and executive room. Rooms with other aspects were noisy or overlooked carparks.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Spiritus26
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I am just back and found this a lovely hotel and the staff were certainly cheery enough to us ,I had a lovely spacious room on the tenth floor ,only downside was that we got woken up every morning with chairs scraping along the resteraunt floor but hey ho our view made up for that . Some folk have got to find something to moan about or their holidays not being good . I even heard someone say the Bulgarians did not speak very good English I had to bite my tounge , and ask him how good he was at the local lingo !!!!! ., so don't listen it all the bad reviews we went to a great wee bar (Morris ) on the beach front the food was brill and the couple singing well in one word WOW ! Take a trip to nessebar it's beautiful , and only 1levi on the bus .Deffinatly be back as soon as my purse lets me

Room Tip: If you don't like getting woke up at 8 every morning don't take the 10 th floor as its under...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Janet F
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I found the hotel to be very nice. The staff were good and the service was good. It was clean, and friendly. Yes if you weren't all inclusive you had to pay for sun loungers, and cushions were extra to all guests, but it stops people saving the loungers when they aren't going to use them. It was a 5 minute walk from the beach, the people in their shops that you have to walk past weren't pushy to get you to buy their goods. The beach was lovely, But again you had to pay for sun loungers and umbrellas.
The food in the hotel was good, and varied each day, lots of stew dishes. But the restaurants that were close we're cheap enough if you fancied something different.
The only disappointing thing I found in this hotel were the other guests. Some were rude to other guests and I found them rude to the staff as well. It doesn't cost anything to say please and thank
you!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank Suzie0000
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Just come back from 2 week stay. Overall a good hotel . Rained first few days but 2nd week really warm!Took family with two small kids. The food was really good - lots of choice ! Nice setting on top floor as well with good views of Sunny Beach. Staff OK - could be a bit more cheerful but didn't have to deal with them much. Corner Pub good for the bingo . The House excellent for Karaoke. Kharma (just before the House )good with a liitle garden in back for a nice quiet drink ! The Harp great food and nice friendly staff!
The main part is about 20 min walk along promenade - bit further is a few more beach side places whichn the kids enjoyed especially Fat Cats!
Trip to Nessebar well woth it just 1 Lev on bus.
Good beach with white clean sand and warm sea . Shallow and safe for the kids.
Overall billiant holiday - we are thinking of going back next year !

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Philip G
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I'd been to Sunny Beach and seen this hotel before booking, so was looking forward to it. I wasn't disappointed. I was travelling with one of my friends, and we really were impressed by our room which was spacious, nicely decorated and had a minibar :-). beds were really comfy, and we really like breakfast, they have someone making pancakes in the restaurant every morning with a variety of hot and cold food. Only complaint is orange juice wasn't cold! The lifts were a bit of a pain, you often had to wait for the glass ones for several minutes, but we tended to use the one in the restaurant and walk round when we got to our floor. We had a room looking onto the side, not the pool, which would have been nice, but we weren't there to sit in the room. Staff weren't overly friendly, and we always managed to get a sun bed which unfiortunately you do need to pay for! Plenty of decent bars and restuarants near by, and also close to the beach. Would recommend, compared to some of the other places we saw when walking around!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends