“john from Glasgow” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #196 of 219 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“john from Glasgow”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Just returned on 8/09/13. Food was revolting - certainly the worst I have ever been offered anywhere. The restaurant is more in keeping with a works canteen. Cracked and / or chipped crockery which was sometimes not washed properly. At breakfast on our first day we had to wait for coffee cups which when they eventually arrived had drip stains on the outside and brown rings on the inside which indicates to me a distinct lack of hygeine in the kitchen. Drinks were served in plastic containers which is ideal for the pool areas but certainly not for the inside hotel bars. Complaints to the tour operator (Balkan holidays) were met with disdain. The staff we met were all very friendly and rooms were cleaned regularly. Hotel is in a great location but they will have to up the ante on the food being offered. Anyone choosing to go here should steer clear of the all inclusive option as apart from the disgusting food there was no beer on 2 of our 7 days. Whilst this was true for the 2 all inclusive bars there was plenty if we chose to pay at any of the other bars which I think is a bit of a con.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are supposed to be quieter. We were in rooms facing the beach which were not...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Have just come back from 1 week at this hotel and would never ever return, the hotel is unclean and in a desperate situation. The food is the worst I have ever tasted, and the hotel is definitely not all inclusive as stated all the drinks are watered down and flat. The week before we got there, there were 4 muggings, whilst we there, there was 2 muggings and a fight. the resort of Sunny Beach is a disgrace it looks like no one has ever bothered to clean up. The first room they gave us was smelly, stained carpet and when you pull the sheet back the mattress was covered in blood and dead bugs refused to stay there and sat up in reception all night until the reps came in they wanted £220 per person to move us to a different hotel, then they gave us another room instead which wasn't too bad, however they refuse to change the bedsheets for the duration of your stay. PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT EVER GO THERE, wouldn't wish this on me mother in law never mind the enemies.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tracey1327

Travellers are raving about these Sunny Beach hotels

Ayr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Well we have just came back from our 2 week stay at the pomorie and our experience was very good, there are issues with the food because it is the same things everyday and most of it wasn't very nice but you can eat out cheaply. The staff at the hotel were very nice and friendly unlike some of the guest's that were nothing but rude and cheeky most of the time. The room was clean and tidy and the maids were very good, the rooms were very hot but u could hire a fan.
The animation team were excellent and my 2 girls really enjoyed the kids club, the kiddie disco at night was good fun for them as was the evening entertainment.
People have said that the pool bar should be all inclusive but i disagree as you could imagine the state the pool would get into, The pool itself was really clean but u do have to get up early to put towels down as some people leave them out all night and we even seen people going down about 10pm to put towels down, the lifeguard well what can i say hes a joke most days he was at the bar drinking or he was lying on a sun lounger so god help anyone that got into difficulty in the pool. all that said we had a great holiday and met some really nice people would defo go back..

Room Tip: Our room was at the back facing the fenix hotel as we had asked for quiet rooms due to the kids..
2 Thank claire29g
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I based my hotel when booking with the Co-Operative on All Inclusive, distance from the beach, size of the pool and the amount of sunshine the pool area will get, and not on the reviews. Being the first holiday I had booked for myself and my girlfriend, it was a rookie error; one to learn from. I went home, read the reviews and there after got a little nervous about the hotel I was going to stay in. Nerves about nothing, I'd say.

The food isn't bad at all, seriously! Admittedly, I am a little picky with what I eat and after the 5th or 6th day I just wanted to eat out because you do get a little bored. The mixture of smells from all the food doesn't smell appetising but once you start to eat, it's actually nice!

I arrived at about 3am, handed in my passport, signed and left to my room. The staff initially were very friendly. After waking up for breakfast the next morning, I was greeted with a very pleasant surprise. There weren't many queues and the variety of food was pretty good! There were sausages, bacon, fried eggs, boiled eggs (in shells), scrambled eggs in the cooked area. Plus cereals, fruits, yoghurts, bread/toast and tea and coffee. IF YOU WANT A MUG FOR YOUR COFFEE, BRING ONE OR GET THERE EARLY TO AVOID NOT HAVING ONE. That was an issue many had, but it's easily avoided.

There's a lot to do. About a 10 minute walk from the strip, and less than 5 minutes to the beach which was a lot warmer than the pool (as expected). Garfield's next door had the same band on every night and after a few days you do get bored of them playing a similar setlist but it's nice to have. It also has free wifi and Happy Hour cocktails for 7 levs which was great. Sports Bar and Grill attached to the hotel played the NFL game I wanted (Saints v Falcons) which was nice of them and the food there was nice too, it was English.

The hotel itself had a variety of guests; a lot of Scottish/southern English, there were some local to me from Manchester/Bolton and Leeds. Then you got Germans and Russians, and a few Polish but not many.

People have complained about the all inclusive bar only being inside, but it's not that bad, really! It's about a thirty metre walk from poolside to the bar and you can obviously go back as often as you like. The Poolside bar isn't all inclusive, but I found it wasn't bad at all to just walk to the lobby. The youngens behind the bar were very friendly and ended up remembering our drinks.

Bare in mind that Bulgarian spirit measurements are double of British = 50ml!

You did have to put a towel on the sunbeds early to avoid disappointment. Do it on your way to breakfast at 8 or 9am and you'll be alright. If you're on holiday and you're waking up at 12-1pm anyway, you shouldn't really be in a hotel like this. Go elsewhere.

Dinner was nice too. Cooked foods mainly, but salads and fruit too for those who want that. Bread also, and it was all nice. The Chicken Bites and Fish Fingers are amazingly nice and the bread is so soft with a slightly tough top crust, it's lush.

Tea is what you get put off of. The meatballs/sausages/etc. are nice. Some other things like the sauces they put chicken and roast beef in didn't look appetising, so I avoided it. My girlfriend really enjoyed it though! They have chips/rice/some form of boiled or roast potatoes near enough every night so you're not out of choice for English food. The chips are nice with salt, found near the plates. Or look on an empty table/ask someone for salt if there isn't any. Even though it is a little sickly after a while, all in all the food was actually very nice! Go with an open mind and you'll be fine.

We didn't get a deposit box, we just used our luggage with a lock. It worked just fine really, but if you're that suspicious, get one; it's only about 36 lev for a week I think? Or 6 lev a night.

The animation team are really great. They're always friendly with the kids and do activities, e.g. football, French bowls and a follow the leader competition near enough every day. Every evening they have something going on, on the stage. They work very hard with not much time off, just like somebody else here said, and they still manage to put on a genuine smile.

If you're stuck for things to do, ask your rep. We went with Balkan Holidays and Slavi was who we mainly asked for help. The buses run for 1 lev, which is absolutely amazing. We got on one to the UNESCO Ancient Town of Nessebar and it was a really nice day out. We also bought our ticket to the Aquapark Nessebar from Slavi and got a free bus there. It was really, really fun and at 3pm they turned on the wave machine in the lazy river which you get on your rings and go round and that was really fun, so be prepared for that.

Onto the 'bad' stuff, of which there isn't much of.

The staff at the reception were quite bad with English; they knew basic English but for example, when my towel rack fell and I went to report it, they thought I was asking to rent another towel. I stood on glass from a bottle I dropped in my room whilst drunk and stood on it. The cut was deep and it bled for ages, but the reception staff didn't know what I was going on about when I was asking for plasters/first aid etc. and left me to do it on my own (though I wasn't bothered about that).

We found that one or two things went missing from our room. This could have been to error, as in we left stuff on the balcony and it was blown off, which is an easy explanation. To say that the staff stole from you is a ridiculous and baseless claim. About the robberies, just be safe and don't open your room when you're not expecting anything. That's easy enough to say aint it?

Not to do with the hotel, but on the last night me and a couple we met that night went to a bar across from HC Anderson up the road. The British girl who brought us in was kind but the local who served us wasn't. We ordered our drinks, waited ten minutes, no drink, and left. She chased us with a man and pestered us to pay her; to which we refused. The locals seems agitated and told us to pay her, after which we just ran back to the hotel and went to the rooms. It was ridiculous, because we hadn't received goods so we didn't pay. But I guess that's how they work in Bulgaria.

Other than that, I hope you read this review among the others because seriously, a lot of the people who have wrote these reviews are bitter. And remember, as British, people only seem to write reviews when they complain so you don't find many of the good reviews anywhere. Value for money is amazing at Hotel Pomorie and it's close to a lot of places. You'll be happy if you go here but if you want something better, you'll pay for it.

Give it a chance, and if you just don't like the food, you can get meals for 10 levs all around Sunny Beach which equals to about £5 or £6; bargain, so all I can say is be prepared but go in with an open mind.

Room Tip: Choose a room that isn't on the front of the hotel. Poolside/back rooms are the best because you...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Samuel994
west yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

please please please read this I read all the reviews before we came some good so me bad but we maid our minds to come and this is a true report arrived at hotel looks nice but that's were it stops hotel is not for the English full of Russians and I mean full first meal disgusting I wood not have feed it to my dog roast potatoes and chips for tea evening meal
rooms to small no space no wardrobes staff unfriendly only one person behind bar there are 4 bars but the one out side by the pool you have to pay for this not in the broacher when you book so to me that is not all inclusive there are safe deposit boxes at reception but there cost 70 levs and 4 levs for a fan so that 100 levs before you start your holiday one good thing there is a McDonald's and pizza place which I recommend you go to well first morning breakfast disgusting you have to queue like been back at school this hotel is a 3 star but its not Evan a 1 star the wife has just returned form the welcome meeting we have asked to be moved to another hotel the rep told we could move but it would cost 250 pounds each the rep did not give a dam we went to pick our passports up from reception which we thought would be safe but no they were just left out for anybody to get this is just half of what as happened to us so take note you have been warned if the people who have put they had a good time here on holiday all I can say is they have stayed in some bad hotels that's all I can say good look
ps
the sports bar is a good night out there are plenty of good shops once you leave the hotel after your evening meal there are people out side restraints asking you do you want to come in for food or drinks don't think so

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank porritt
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

This is the fourth time that we have travelled to Hotel Pomorie in Sunny Beach - BUT will never return. What can I say but back up everythng that other people have said. We had a horrible room, with broken camp bed.. Too hot - no air cond, and stained carpet.. The room smelt horrible (really bad drainage problems), the balcony was dirty, people congregated under the balcony as we were on the ground floor, constently had to keep the curtains closed for privacy, doors had to be kept locked - as there were lots of break ins. The food was the same everyday, plates/dishes chipped. Sun loungers - not enough to go round for the hotel guests, if you put towels on the evening before/early morning (about 5ish) - you were ok - unless they got stolen (like ours did!). At the end we gave up and went to the beach (which was/is a lovely beach). I asked for a switch of rooms as the one we were given was disgusting - but was told would have to wait a few days - the hotel was fully booked!! Tried to complain numerous times but the hotel receptionist either couldn't understand me - or just kept ignoring our concerns? Then to top it all off, my husband was robbed/mugged when we were having a family walk in a built up area at 9.30pm at night - the police were useless - we had to go back 2 days later as there was no British translator avalable!! Then we had to pay to get a report to bring back to the U.K.? The life guard (supposed to be lifeguard) was too buisy with his girlfriend or talking on his mobile or with his masseur pal) - and we witnessed the trouble with him and some other holiday makers - not a nice sight for small children to see!
Sunny beach is a lovely place - loved all the activity and market stalls etc.. Just some of the people and Hotel Pomorie.. Yes it is only a 2/3 star - but when you pay £2,000 - you do expect to get better than what we got? We saved hard for this family holiday.. and booked over 12 months ago.
The bar staff worked hard and they were pleasant, as were the animation team but the entertainment was a bit disapointing this time around.
Hotel Pomorie definately needs a face lift with vast improvements, lots of families go there but money needs to be spent on it! I have had an email today advertising it as 'a great family hotel' and 'very popular with families',( urging people to book for 2014!) this may be so - but please improve the standards and invest in it!!! People need to feel safe in their environment - no matter what star rating the hotel may be!!

Room Tip: Ask to be facing the back of the hotel by the pool side - also do not take the 'old block' f...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
North east, uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Do not go here, there was break ins, muggings near by, rubbish basic food the same all the time, NO AIR CON, very basic, no all inclusive round pool have to go inside and que for a drink, only thing decent was pool but life guard was shocking and towards the second week of our stay the animation team seemed to give up on the nights entertainment with karaoke and quizzes, 200 beds for 900 guests and some people round the pool weren't even staying in that hotel, love Bulgaria but never this hotel again!

Room Tip: Go in north end of resort so evrika hotel or Victoria palace
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunny Beach
#149 of 219 in Sunny Beach
Park-Hotel Continental
Park-Hotel Continental
#114 of 219 in Sunny Beach

Been to Pomorie Hotel? Share your experiences!