“Hotel ok- you get what you pay for!”
Review of Zefir Hotel

Zefir Hotel
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Went on a cheapie half term break. I think £320 for All Inclusive was a pretty cheap deal for a school holiday week! Flights were at horrible times which meant arriving in the middle of the night.
On arrival we were not very impressed with our room as it was set out as a double bed and we were two friends sharing a room. Hotel staff quickly rearranged the furniture even though it was 4 am and said we could look at other rooms the next day although all were the same. Our original room was overlooking the 'street' or gardens and i have to say it was not the noise of people or bars that was irritating but birds! Next day we changed to a room overlooking the pool- much nicer. The balconies though are tiny!
This was early season and when we arrived we were greeted by some very disgruntled British holidaymakers who just put down everything about the hotel. Moan moan moan. We were glad when they left!
I speak as I find. This hotel is in a lovely location. virtually on the lovely sandy beach. A few bars and restaurants nearby however at this early stage in the season they were not all open and pretty empty. There is a 'train' which stops outside the door of the hotel which takes you into Sunny Beach if you want a livelier time and more shops. It runs every 20 mins and cost about £1.50 per person. It runs until midnight. 50 yards up the road there is another train which takes you into Nessebar, a very pretty old town with lots of shops and restaurants as well as museums and ancient ruins- same price on train. So if you want to escape the hotel you can.
The hotel itself is very clean and quite pretty - although the brand new foyer furniture looks like it should be in a 70's residential care home! Four choices of 'sit outside' drinking areas and the drinks are plentiful and good if all inclusive. The vodka was ok and we drank a fair amount of pernod equivalent. The wine too was very acceptable!
My friend got quite disgruntled at the fact that there was no coffee between 10 and 11 am if you were all inclusive- in fact no drinks at all for that hour. She even offered to pay but the answer was no!
The food!
Well the breakfast was good. I found that the other meals were ok- edible but the presentation of the food was what put me off. I still managed to find something to eat at every mealtime but if I'd been eating out it might not of been my choice. many of the British holiday makers were complaining about the food claiming it was catering for the German guests but if yuo looked at the menus of the traditional Bulgarian restaurants then the food we were served was much the same... Various pork stew type dishes and chicken dishes. Only thing was the way it was presented eg potato and chicken which was actually a bed of very tasty mashed potato with chicken wings and legs thrown in. It didn't look good but it tasted fine! I suppose though if you have children they might find it a bit too adventurous.
We did find the evenings a bit boring! Nothing in the way of entertainment in the hotel except a man on an organ singing in German. The German holidaymakers were dancing. I have to add that at a guess the average age of the German guests was about 70- 75 but this might just be because of the time of the year. The German tour company reps did run a children's club for the two German children and they happily included the British children into their activities- whether this would happen in high season I do not know. No evidence of British tour operators offering children's club!
Two very decent pools.
Other comments- I didn't like Sunny Beach. i found it a bit seedy. Young girls touting for 'business'. Some of the gentlemen in our hotel had been propositioned when going for a walk both Brits and Germans. I think they forgot to get the town planners in too and the resort is a mish mash of everything and a mess- although clean.
Nessebar is a nice old town and a good shopping/browsing place.
The airport is the pits!!!!! My friend and I had both said we wouldn't rule out a trip to Bulgaria in the future until we got to the airport. Two and a half hours to get through check in and security to find very few amenities in the departure lounge. Approximately 100 seats for approximately 8 flights going out within an hour! Portaloos! Rude staff and extortionate prices! All at 3.00 am - not good!
All in all you get what you pay for and £320 for a weeks all inclusive is ok. Don't expect 5* for 2* prices!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank chrisne9

Reviewed 10 January 2011

I had a wonderful summer holiday with friends in Bulgaria, Sunny Beach three years ago (2007). We arrived at the hotel in the evening (after dinner), but there was no problem with the staff, we could get the rooms in 20 minutes. The breakfast and the dinner were so abundant, we could order (the cheap alcohol) drinks while we were eating. The members of the staff were very friendly if they got their tips (requirement, i think). The location of the hotel is rather good for a 3-star, because it is much less noisy than the other parts of Sunny Beach; and Nesebar is just a 10 minutes light stroll away. We usually arrived in the small hours of the mourning but we had no problems, the maid who cleaned the rooms every day didn't force coming into the rooms, she wated for the late wakenings. However delapidated looked the front side of the hotel, we were tremendously satisfied with the service,the staff and the prices.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank L-papa
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Arrived at 04:30 am, cleaners were hard at it. Reception staff didn't speak much English - but enough to see you through. Rooms were small but sufficient, no bath but powerful large shower. Room was overlooking the gardens and the pool. Only 10 English people in the hotle, the rest were German/Russian/Chech etc but this was not an issue - all very friendly. The staff were quite miserable ant the food was not up to much. We went all inclusive, but there were a few good meals. The all inclusive bar had ran out of most things but if you paid the drinks became available! I wouldn't go back all inclusive, but would go back on a SC / B&B basis. The location was fantastic, the best!! Little road train stopped directly outside the hotel to go to Sunny Beach, and another train took you in to Nessebar. 3 lev each (£1:50) or there is a local bus for 1 lev. Beer & food is cheap and would definately return to Sunny beach and even this hotel due to the location. Pool was lovely too.

2  Thank Vicky3BZ
Reviewed 22 September 2010

My husband and I went for one week all inclusive. In total there were no more than a dozen british guests, the majority were German. The food was appalling, does not look anything like the photos. The food was cold, VERY little choice, no deserts except grapes (if the Germans left any). Our rep advised us not to eat the eggs or meat after we had heard that quite a few had been ill. NO hot drinks, ie tea/coffee after 5pm - supposed to be 'all inclusive'! I had my own tea bags but couldn't get any milk after 5! Rooms clean but very basic. We read from reviews prior to going that the British get the rooms overlooking the road which is noisy. This I can confirm as all us one dozen Brits were on the noisy road, our room was directly above the 24 hour supermarket and we had the staff throughout the night sat outside under our room talking, laughing etc.! Pool area clean and ok, enough sunbeds to go around. Entertainment is non-existent although brochure says nightly entertainment. Brochure stated air conditioning, this is in only a very few rooms overlooking the pool so we Brits did not get the air conditioning. Hotel reception area swarming with mosquitos so beware. All in all we would say "don't go". Staff understood very little English. Had trouble several times trying to get staff to understand what we were asking for.

1  Thank Tabbycat37
Reviewed 14 September 2010

where do i start.
hotel clean towels changed daily sheets not changed till you leave i was in my room most days when the maids came in and never changed my sheets and we was there for 10 days,
no entertainment at night but it said in the boards that there was,in the hole hotel there was 12 brits max in 10 days at one point there was 4 of us brits, no one talks to you not evern the hotel staff there was one young girl there most days i never saw her smile the hole 10 days. we met a young couple there and i felt so sorry for them there was nothing for them to do in the hotel unless they went into sunny beach and spent money.
one night it was 10.45pm and the bar ran out of a lot of spirts and refused to go and fetch somemore they said they had fetched out that quoter for that day even though all inclusive didnt finish till 11pm.
food was very repative fries german sausage fish, goulash, soup.
bacon and baked beans every other day eggs every morning, toaster takes for ever to toast anything, salad contains of tomatoes,cucumber, never saw a lettice, you can have butter in a morning not at dinner but you can have it at night.
everything looks so bland, and unappitising.
pool was ok not enough sun loungers for everone and most of them was broken.
beds every lumpy english rooms was over the road and very noisey but all germans rooms was over looking the pool area but if you asked for one of those rooms they hadnt got any free but we all know that the germans had them or coming into them even though thay was empty when you asked. i could go on this hotel was not for english people but thomas cook should tell you this before you book so you can expect it, then you knew what you was letting yourself into, the rep was never to be seen and if you needed her you couldnt get hold of her as one family tried for 2 days also the reception staff tried but all the number they had was not our rep.
before you go be aware there is 80% germans and russans 2 % brits and 18 % mixure of other culture.

Reviewed 12 September 2010

Well what can i say, been to this hotel 3 time now, me and my family went may 2010, me 22, sister 24, kids aged 5 and 9 and mother. The first ever time we came to this hotel few years ago i want impressed, but with a good nights sleep it was great. this hotel is extremely clean, bar staff friendly , food alright,. I feel it a perfect relaxation hoilday, the pool is AMAZIN, surroundings lovely. we also noticed on our visit this year that you should not go at the end of may as it is bulgrains graduation and it became very nosy at night on the streets and that not alot of things are open fot tourists, however we made it as our own hoilday and new where we was going as been many times. Yes its true this hotel and complex is more for germans but that didnt really bother me/us, as some of them are friendly and smile, but its only like us english some can be nasty lol. i feel that this 3 star hotel is a great place to be for all family.couples, but 1 thing i could say about thsi hotel is that at night time it is abit boring as nothin much going of in the hotel apart from kids clubs, but at night just get the train and itll take you in to sunny beach, i would most definatly recommend this hotel, dont be put of by comments trust me.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Lets be perfectly straight up here; the Hotel Zefir does not offer a pool side fanning service or petite boutiques where one can purchase another useless fashion accessory made from the finest wombat (surely that's in fashion these days). Nor does it employ staff expectant of a tip just for bringing over the bill. What this well presented, low level three star hotel does offer is a pleasant, no-nonsense, no-complications environment in which to enjoy your stay. Its location is difficult to beat just a five minutes walk from the beach over the nearby sand-dunes and a 30-40 minute coastal walk around to Nessebar, the famous and much more picturesque part of Sunny Beach teeming with Greek history and definitely worth a visit. For those less accomplished walkers, there is a convenient tourist train stopping at the hotel at least every half an hour I think. Food at the hotel is served at regular breakfast, lunch and dinner hours in the form of a diverse and full-hearty buffet for those full or half-board guests. Alternatively there is an extensive and very reasonable menu to choose from all day (especially good for those who love good quality pizza!!) and there are convenience shops all around. The best part of the hotel for me though is the swimming pool and surrounding gardens, both of which have enough space to accommodate all manner of guests from couples to families and are the best way to chill out after a fun night or, as in my case, you could just relax and unwind there all day.

Now my third time of going, I see the hotel also offers evening entertainment to keep kids occupied which is nice to see. There's also a regular two-piece band playing in the restaurant which is great while enjoying one of several beers that are on tap. Other than that, the hotel remains quiet at night allowing for a good nights sleep ready for another day by the pool. If a simple, pleasant and relaxing, no-frills break away all within close proximity to the main attractions of Sunny Beach is what you're looking for then the Hotel Zefir is for you.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends