Zefir Hotel
Trakia Hotel(Sunny Beach)
US$35
US$34
Good 3.5/5
    Helena Park Hotel(Sunny Beach)
    US$103
    US$72
    • Breakfast included
    US$123
    • Pool
    Family Hotel Romantic(Sunny Beach)(Great Value!)
    US$34
    Radoslava Hotel(Sunny Beach)
    US$85
    Priceline
    • Bar/Lounge
    All reviewstown centretea bagslovely poolkebablovely holidaybad reviewssomething for everyoneanimation teampolishminoritymanageressvolleyballnightlife
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 27 May 2014

My partner and I arrived at this hotel to find that it wasn't really open due to the season still not having started in Sunny Beach, and there were only about three other couples, who were German, staying there on a inclusive deal that showed us that our going on a B&B basis was a good choice as the limited menus they had to chose from were served on smaller plate whilst whenever we ate in the hotel our plates had quite large servings and didn't cost anything like they would have back home.
    The staff at the hotel were more than helpful, though sometimes their understanding of English was limited. Our room was cleaned ever day although we did have a problem with ants from day one, with my partner finding several when she got into her bed the first night, and in the end we had to get one of the hotel staff to spray the area between the balcony and her side of the bed.
    We had booked a double room, but found that whilst it looked like a double bed it was actually two single beds pushed together, and each had its own sheet and a very narrow and thin duvet, so our two week holiday was spent sleeping in what were separate beds.
    The hotel pool and surrounding area was well looked after, though when the sunbeds were laid out they were placed too close together for what might feel comfortable to many.
    The resident musical duo whilst quite good musicians seemed to have a fairly limited repertoire that was played whilst dinner was being eaten, though part way through the man and woman duo then switched over to a recording and left the dining room.
    The road train that runs from outside the hotel only did so from the 18th May, and on the Saturday evening it didn't run for well over an hour due to, or so we were told by the driver and conductor, the police blocking off the roads so that schoolchildren could go home safely.
    The owners son is someone who went out of his way to get hold of a power cable for my laptop, as my partner had somehow forgotten to pack it with the other cables that we needed, and he apologised for it taking so long to get delivered even though it saved us an expensive hunt and possible taxi to find.
    The British Bar across the road still showed no signs of opening when we left on the 25th May, and many of the shops attached to the hotel were either still not open or in the process of getting ready for the season, so the whole area seemed to be unready for tourists even though there was a steadily growing number seen in the main area of Sunny Beach.
    Our verdict on the hotel is that we got what we paid for, and the staff certainly worked hard to see that their guests needs were dealt with as efficiently and as quickly as possible.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms catch the sun more than those on the front of the hotel, although whilst we were there the German couples seemed to hold discussion sessions through most of the day and into the evening directly below our room on the first floor, and with not knowing German these long sessions sometimes made us feel like telling them to either go somewhere else to talk, or just rest their voices for an hour or so. The walls between the rooms are not well insulated so people can be heard talking in the next room.
    • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
    2  Thank David L W
    Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I went august 2011. Hotel is very dated but at least it was clean. Good location, 10 minute away from party area on the noddy train right outside.

2 minute walk from the beach which is mainly rocky and full of cans, bottles and rubbish.

10minute on noddy train to nessebar.

Food was rubbish all I they had was rice and pork.

Good luck finding a sunbed especially when the germans leave their towels over night. I counted 53 one night literally on every sunbed at 23:30 and told the staff, they took them off and I managed to get one the next morning.

• Stayed: December 2013
    1  Thank DonnZee
    Reviewed 20 October 2013

Firstly let me just note that the photo of the hotel on this page is not the zefir at sunny beach so anybody looking to go don't be fooled. Zefir is much older. We arrived for 2weeks in September all inclusive. The hotel is very clean the cleaners must work long shifts you constantly see them working and we could not complain about cleanliness at all. How ever that is where the good bits end. When first arriving we found the staff not very friendly but they seem to work 16-17 hr days everyday and we noticed the same staff everyday for the duration of our stay (no days off?) so this could be down to being tired. The food was not good at all. We found things we liked to start with but this did not last long. the menu had very little difference every day and the menu on week 1 was the same on week 2. be careful of the chicken it's always pink they seem to love it I stopped eating that after chewing on a slimey piece one day also be aware they do have a spicy meat with breakfast as a meatball you get this at every meal just shaped differently and labeled as different things eggs where not cooked properly everyday either so please be vigilant. I could go on more about the food there is no exaggerating but I think you get the picture. there was 8 of us went and of that 7 of us ended up with bad diarrhea. I went from constipation for the first few days with then led to going threw the entire range of every kind of diarrhea possibe from explosive threw to pure liquid of which u had very little or no warning. 3 of the other people in our group ended up having accidents due to this. And 2 in the group threw up. also the pain that accompanied the diarrhea was aweful real strong stomach cramps. The only one of the group that was not bad was the youngest who incidentally would not eat the food at all. In the end we stopped eating at Zefir and went out for food everyday as we could not physically take anymore. Also be aware if you have kids especially if thay get bored easy there is no entertainment at night. Nothing for kids at all so if that's what your looking for this is not the place for you. It's relatively quiet in that respect. The hotel in placed about 10mins ride from both sunny beach and nessebar so pretty much in the middle. If you are going here I would recommend self catering basis or half board with fruit for breakfast only it's safest.
    I for one won't be staying at Zefir ever again nor will I ever risk paying all inclusive again either this was the first time I have gone anywhere all inclusive and after this will be the last regardless of where I go in the world. I'm not prepared to risk this situation anywhere. I would not recommend Zefir to anyone. bulgeria is a nice place to see also the waterpark at nesebar is well worth a visit. But overall the worst holiday of my life and I will not be rushing back largely due to the hotel not so much the place.

• Stayed: September 2013
    6  Thank blade201
    Reviewed 10 October 2013

Have just come back from a week in Bulgaria and stayed at the Zefir hotel at the far end of sunny beach!! we both thought it was good value for money but we only did B&B. We heard it was cheap enough so wanted to experience some Bulgarian food. The hotel is quite basic but very clean and if you smiled and said hello to the staff you will find they did the same back!! have read some of the revues and find it so funny that people ranting about the hotel and food!! Its that cheap to eat out that i dont understand why they wouldnt!! Sunny beach is a very lively resort and if you want it a bit quieter this is the ideal spot as you are about 25 mins walk out of it!! we went late sept and a lot of places where closing down so would recommend if you want it busier go earlier as the the last week in sept it closed down every where! still had a good time and would go again but earlier as the weather also changed sadly!!!
    Very cheap to eat and drink out and it was lovely to not be pestered as have been in other holiday destinations. The shop and bar owners are all friendly whether you buy from them or not!! Anyone with any difficulties walking there is a cute little train out side the hotel that goes into sunny beach centre every 15 and is just 3 lev about a £1 and it runs till about midnight!!
    Would recommend it but dont expect the ritz you basically get what you pay for and remember the people moaning about it .... its only a 3* if you want 5* book that as they have 4* and 5* hotels there also :-) Will deffo be going back again to same hotel :-)

Room Tip: If you are on the front side you do hear people coming and going and you do hear the dogs barking early in the mornings when deliveries being done. Might be quiter if you are at the back!! we where on the front!!
    • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
    3  Thank liz c
    Reviewed 3 October 2013

If you have never been to Sunny Beach, Bulgaria, I would recommend you try it at least once. If you like Sharm El Sheikh then you will like Sunny Beach.
    It is situated on an 8km long curved beach on a picturesque semi-circled section of coastline overlooking the Black Sea, and is a great getaway with something for everybody.
    I will tell you a little about it, but the fun is finding out for yourselves really.
    The main part of Sunny Beach has all of the shops, stalls, bars, restaurants, sex shops, fun fairs etc and is very lively and inexpensive. Outside of there you will not find much, just more hotels, more shops and more restaurants.
    We strongly recommend Jack's bar, which is great value for food, if a little too much 'home from home' for me. My fiancee loved the Bingo at 8pm, and was jealous of my Bannofee Pie.
    2 main courses, 2 desserts, 4 drinks.... 29 leva...about £13.
    Nesebar is more 'traditional' which is about 5k away from Sunny Beach, but is well worth visiting a couple of times.

The food is cheap, the beer is cheaper and the fake fashion shopping is top notch.

The beach is good, but a tip for you is to buy a parasol and a couple of lie-lo's and towels from the local shops, because the Sunbeds and parasols for hire on the beach will cost you a fortune.
    1 x parasol plus 2 x sunbeds was 24 leva, or about £11 each time, but a parasol and 2 lie-lo's with towels cost us 60 leva or about £25 and we used them every day.
    There are plenty of bars and cafes on the beach, and the water is shallow enough for younger children to play.
    If you like fashion, take lots of spending money, as the fake clothes over there are something else.
    If you want to take cigarettes back, 200 Malboro is 51 leva and Lamberts are 50 leva, which is a fixed price by the govt. ensure that they are "duty paid" , which means each 200 sleeve will have 10 x 5BGN printed on the side, rather than 'duty free' because the laws on allowances are a little ambigious. Dont bother shopping around for better prices, because they are all the same.
    NEVER wait until you get back to the airport as they are a rip off there at 27.5 Euros for 200 which is already 5 leva more expensive than in the town, but they will also charge you to convert leva or £ into Euro.

Thats all I will tell you about Sunny Beach , but.......

The Zefir....where should I begin??

The Hotel is situated between Nesebar and Sunny Beach main, and is literally 200 yards from a lovely beach. That is where the the good part of the review ends.

The front of the hotel overlooks a seemingly quiet road, but the locals do seem to like to use it as a drag racing track at 2am, and enjoy very loud conversations underneath your balcony late at night. The balcony doors are single glazed, so they might as well be sat on your balcony chairs enjoying the view. The 'balcony' by the way, is approx 2m x 50cm which is just enough to fit 2 plastic patio chairs on, if you don't mind your knees poking through the railings that is. There are several shops below the hotel also, and these start setting up quite early in the morning, so forget having a lie in.
    After 3 sleepless nights, we asked for a move to the garden side of the hotel, which the reception staff reluctantly agreed to. Although this was much better at night, dogs from a neighbouring hotel opposite did bark every morning when the deliveries turned up, so we were usually wide awake by 7:30 every day.
    The rooms were twin, with 2 incredibly uncomfortable beds pushed together. The dip of the mattresses made sleeping together impossible, and we spent 14 nights sleeping 3 feet apart on the firmest beds we have ever encountered. I read a review on here before we went there, which described the pillows as 'sacks of potatoes'. I feel the reviewer was being overly generous on that occasion!!
    Decor wise, they were clean enough, but cramped. 2 useless bedside cabinets, 2 spotlights over the bed which wobbled as they were switched on or off. A dressing table and mirror with 1 single drawer and the most ineffective wardrobe with 1 rail, a shelf 6 feet up that my fiancee couldnt even reach. No other shelves or drawers for smalls or t-shirts etc, so ours pretty much stayed in the suitcases for 2 weeks.
    The fridge was a degree or two below room temperature, and only a small percentage of the rooms have aircon.
    The bathroom was functional, with shower, basin and wc. All very dated.

The outside of the hotel is detailed with a disgusting turquoise colour, which is continued inside.
    The reception looks like the sitting room of an old people's home, with tightly packed in sofas and chairs which would not have looked out of place in my great grandma's sitting room.

The restaurant is something else.
    Picture white tiled floor, turquoise walls with orange pillars, dark wood tables with cream table cloths to hide the colour and light wood chairs. Spotlights in the ceiling with energy saving bulbs intead of spots and as much ambience as a Doncaster Rovers home game!
    The food serving area looked like my school canteen, and the choice was as basic as possible without quite making the grade of prison food.
    There were always 2 choices of soup... Which were 1/ creamy coloured water; or 2/ reddy coloured water, served with the same 2 choices of bread (white rustic or brown rustic), which could also be found at breakfast and lunch.
    If you like Pork Shnitzel every night, with rice and brocolli, then you are in 5 star heaven. If you like chicken served up 14 nights on the trot with recipes from the book 'How to put you off chicken for life', then welcome to the Zefir!
    Desserts consisted of Semolina, melon and sour grapes (mainly from the paying guests) EVERY NIGHT!!

Breakfast was the same every day too.
    Boiled German 'hotdog style' bratwurst sausages, scrambled and fried eggs, grilled slices of bratwurst and tinned reconstituted bacon which closely resembled spam, an interesting interpretation of French Toast was also offered, and lots of baked beans to drown it all with.
    Making toast is quicker if you put your bread on the hotel front steps in the sun, rather than using the 2 antiquated catering toasters.
    There was also a choice of tomatoes and cucumber....yes... For breakfast!
    1 kind of sweet pastry-cum-fig roll type thing....watered down apple juice (the watery orange cordial ran out on day 3 ) And the ever present grapes and melon.
    I must say that the majority of the guests were German and Russian, and they seemed to enjoy the food, only us Brits seemed less than happy with it, one person we spoke to lived on jam and bread for 12 days....until the jam ran out!
    I must say though, that the highlight of every afternoon was the free cake which was served on the poolside at 3pm. This 3cm x 3cm slice of cheap but tasty cake helped us through each day purely because of it's calorific value!
    The evening entertainment consisted of a mid 40's German couple who appeared to live in the hotel, singing songs in german which vaguely resembled songs I thought I knew, but couldn't quite put my finger on. One played guitar whilst the other plinked and plonked on a yamaha organ. The first 30 minutes or so were verging on pleasant, but after a few nights of the same 15 songs we were begining to feel a little suicidal, and in severe danger of contracting a highly contagious foot tap which seemed to be going around
    There were no daytime activities or entertainment, nor was there any music at the pool, apart from our first day when somebody bothered to press play.

The all inclusive bar.... Funny funny funny!
    The inside bar, the one with all the different types of beers, spirits and cocktails was great... Only it wasnt the all inclusive...that was on the poolside....outside! Even at nights!
    It's choices were 1 brand of draught Bulgarian beer, watery Rola Cola on tap, or watery fizzy orange or lemonade. Bulgarian Chocolate Liqueur, Peach Liqueur, Mint Liqueur, Vodka, Brandy or Rum.
    Asking for them to be made into a cocktail was something I simply was not brave enough to do, as the bar staff scared me. Most times that I went to the bar, they didnt speak, just nodded to indicate that I was permitted to ask for a drink, poured it and managed to look anywhere but at me as they plonked them on the bar in the tasteful plastic cups. Actually looking in the opposite direction and begining to walk away, whilst depositing half full, luke warm plastic cups on a bar is quite a talent if you really think about it....and these were very talented people indeed.
    The rest of the restaurant staff were equally unfriendly and obvioulsy were well trained NOT to smile or connect with guests in any way, so as to avoid any possiblity of a conversation or more likely COMPLAINT.
    Staff texting or actually talking on mobiles was common, sitting down in the outside guests areas for a cigarette was normal, and groups of staff on a break, eating better meals than the customers at lunch or dinner time was also a regular sight. Their conversations at such times were loud, and sounded much like a shop steward's meeting.

The pool was small and freezing, but at the time that we went, we had no difficulty in finding space on the sunbeds.

All in all, the Zefir is poor, and they literally do just enough to qualify as an all inclusive hotel as cheaply as possible. Having said that, we paid £1000 for 2 weeks all inclusive ( albeit at the end ofthe season ) and couldn't expect Michelin Star cusine and Hilton furnishings, but certainly the staff could have been more friendly and interested I am sure.

Go there if you want, but my advice is to pay £100 per person more and find much much better.

One good point was that the "road train" to Sunny Beach sets off from right outside the front door and you can soon be eating and drinking well in the main town for a 3 leva fare each.

We went mid September, and by the time we left, there was almost nothing still open around the Zefir and it was like a ghost town in the evenings.
    With nothing to do at the hotel after dinner, the only options were road trains to Sunny Beach or Nesebar each night, and even that got boring after a while.
    Find a better hotel, nearer to the main Sunny Beach and enjoy.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front, ask for garden view
    • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple