“Not bad, get what you pay for” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chaika Beach Hotel

Chaika Beach Hotel
Ranked #197 of 219 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Scotland
“Not bad, get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

Stayed here end of May, beginning June.

Hotel was ok - arrived very early morning and check in was quick and efficient. We were on the 8th floor, room was clean and fresh towels every day. Seemed to be an issue with water pouring out the back of sink, however there was a drain in the middle of the bathroom floor. Air con didn't work, but assuming cos it hadn't reached hot enough temps yet, as wasn't on anywhere in Sunny Beach. View of the beach was fab.

I'm fussy, so knew the food wasn't going to be great, but seriously, who goes to Bulgaria for the food?!? Found enough to live on and breakfast was good. My mate is less fussy and she enjoyed a lot of the meaty stews. Eating outside the hotel is cheap enough too. I think the dining room might struggle with bigger crowds when the season is in full swing though. The staff were hard working, but not naturally smiley.

The hotel is cheap, so there are lots of young people of all nationalities and they could do with an entertainment team to channel some of their enthusiasm during the day - it can get noisy round the pool. Other nationalities aren't as naturally polite as the British, but similarly don't expect you to treat them like that either, so just give as good as you get and it's all good.

I don't think I'd go back all inclusive again if it was cheaper not to, cocktails and beer are so cheap in the local bars who all have loads of promos on. Nightlife was fab outside the hotel too and something for all ages.

Did a couple of Thomas Cook trips and they were good - would recommend Khan's Tent to all and the bar crawl was a good mix of ages and the reps were fab. Our rep was good and took his responsibilites very seriously.

Asked to book a slot in the shower room for the day we were leaving as we had a late flight out. Was no problem, although no towels provided so we wished we'd kept the ones from our room. Beach towels also required for poolside, first time I've not had these provided when all inclusive.

Overall, it wasn't the best hotel in the world, it wasn't luxurious, but it was clean, fresh towels every day, sun loungers available all day, and enough food to live on. Can't ask for more than that for the price we paid.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

The hotel service is terrible, reception does everything NOT to help you. There was no internet connection in my room, so I had to go to the lobby every day (there was one connection in my room, but hotel staff refused to tell me the password as they said that connection is for hotel staff only. In the evening it is impossible to sleep because of people partying in the hotel room (next to me, over me) normally until 3-4 (once until 7) in the morning. Walls are very thin, you can hear everything. Cigarette smoke came in the bathroom (I don't smoke!) through the ventilation system (most probably from smoking neighbors).

Breakfast is also very poor, you can find hardy anything edible. Cleaning staff knocked on the door every day at 10 even when I put out the don't disturb notice. And when I wasn't in my room, they came in, but didn't change towers or clear the room properly.

Receptionists are very rude and even tried to cheat me paying my bill.

Do NOT go there unless you go only partying and have minimal needs. Never go with family here. It is not even a one star hotel.

Room Tip: don't try to book here
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jatekos

Travellers are raving about these Sunny Beach hotels

Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

The bad reviews about this hotel are correct, when we arrived (at midnight) our room door wouldn't lock, so when we looked, the door frame was falling off, so when we managed to lock the door it could be pushed open with all the frame coming away, we asked for another room and they said it would have to be sorted in the morning, we didn't get moved but a man came and stuck the door frame back with foam. The lift broke down loads of times everyday we were on a high floor and took ages to walk up all the stairs. There is no way enough sunbeds, people put towels on and leave them nearly all day which they say isn't allowed but they do. Not many english at all and we found that all the foreigners were very very arrigant. pushing you out of the way for food and walking straight in front of you, one man pushed my 7 year old out of the way while he was waiting for some soup, I was livid then they make out they cant understand you.
I was pregnant at the time and one girl took my towel off my sunbed and lied down while I was having a swim. The food is awful its the same every breakfast,dinner and tea. The chicken is always pink which we didn't eat but we all ended up with a stomach bug.At the pub at lunchtime they do pizza(which I'm sure had left over dinner on it) and dry sandwiches but once they'd gone that was it, no more. the icecram was melted like milk. What we paid for this holiday we could have gone somewhere alot better. We were gonna stay at the laguna park but decided to be next to the beach wish we hadn't. We went to have a look and it was great,nice food served all day long, entertainment brilliant and when we talked to some guests they had no complaints. I would strongly advise you not to go to Chaika beach hotel.

1 Thank familywilkinsons
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

Dont be fooled by first impression .was put in room on 7th floor with disabled mother and lift was broke often when i complained was told security men could carry her to her roon [how degrading] There was a bug in are bed which was only changed once in two weeks and room had to be sprayed.Us and a few other customers named the resturant the slap shop as the food was digusting when complained about dirty table cloths they turned them over to other side which was still stained never enough cutlery and cups all had chips or cracks in them

1 Thank robert22186470
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2011

Right where to start...
Having booked this hotel it looked just the ticket in the guide. How wrong was I, after my partner and I looked on web sites such as trip advisor, holiday watchdog etc the reviews were not good. However we thought it cant be that bad, we are both easy goin and not fussy.

Having arrived at the hotel the reception staff were unhelpful and never ever smiled, we waited for the bell boy to take us to our room. The room wasnt too bad air con worked well. After 5 minutes the bell boy was still standing there like a mong waitin for a tip, having only large bulgarian notes and him saying he cant accept sterling coins i had to part with a note just to get him out.

We proceeded to the breakfast hall which is hard to take it all in a once: the eggs were like watered down sick, there was some attempt at fried bread with the most horrile coating, bacon was just fat and salt , the milk was warm and long life stuff!! the rest was not good and to top it off the fruit was hard as a cricket ball. I just couldnt get over the fact how rude and unhappy the staff were.
The lunch and evening meals were much the same mystery meat that you wouldnt feed to the dog and the same rubbish service!

The pool area: we rarely got a sun bed and there was only few totally wrong seen as it is a very large hotel, people were putting towels on them in the early hours of the morning so you had no chance of gettin one! We met a couple who took the sun beds to their room at night so they didnt hav to lay on the floor all day. the main pool was ok, however the jacuzzi had some rank bacteria floating round which would turn your stomach!

The all inclusive pool bar was ok if you like white spirit! I must say the beer was very nice shame service doesnt come with a smile yet again!!!
They hav got to be joking by calling it an irish bar, it lacks glasses and service and is like a tragic village hall with rank toilets.

The hotel was quiet at night, the room had single beds which was uncomfortable.
Sunny beach itself is very boring, the night life was lacking good music, the bars were all very similar and even the food had much to be desired, we ate at many restaurants and bars it was cheap however very very tasteless I would rather pay more for quality.
Many people we spoke to had similar feed back some worse than us. We made the most of it mainly by laughing at all the bad bits! the fruit guys are so annoying and shops are filled with fake crap that no one wants. I like to say thank you when i pay for something i.e. a drink but you cant beacuse they assume its a tip very wrong!!! we got ripped off a few times with this cunning trick, and the toilets are all seperate to the bars.
WILL NOT BE GOING BACK!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jb_69London
Bracknell, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2010

Where do I even begin to start! I cannot even think of any positives about this hotel apart from the fact it is located right on Sunny Beach which may I add seems to be the only thing to do in Bulgaria!

We came here because we thought we would try somewhere different. After going to Turkey the year before and staying in a all inclusive hotel for the first time and loving it I thought that I would really enjoy it.

The place wasn't even clean. The maid rarely changed our towels, she seemed to do it when she could be bothered. The drinking glasses you get in your room...well ours weren't changed for the whole 2 weeks, we had to drink out of the same ones. There was mould on some bits of the walls and a big leak mark on the ceiling, the floor never seemed to be swept and bits of dirt/sand were always being stuck to my feet. We weren't given a towel for the floor so we had to be careful we did not slip after showering. The bathroom floor always seemed to have puddles.

The service was absolutely awful, the receptionists were unaproachable and rude, the waitresses and waiters were even worse. We were all inclusive, thought it would save us money and be nice but it wasn't. It made us want to go out more to get nice food! The tables were only laid for the first sitting, after that you had to find a clean table (which was rare) and put things down on it so your table wasn't stolen and you had to pick up your own cutlery. There was rarely any cutlery left, quite often we had to stand around with our plates in our hand and wait for someone to bring out cutlery while our food would get cold. I struggled to see what the waitresses were doing as they weren't clearing tables, laying tables or serving drinks (you have to queue up at the bar for drinks in a long queue) they seemed to do nothing. Breakfast was the best meal out of everything. I was so looking forward to a nice cup of tea but all the cups had chips in or there weren't any cups at all and it was the same situation as the cutlery. A waiter saw that I was waiting for a cup, looked at me and said "sorry" in a rude way.

To top it off, the power went in our block. The hotel claimed it was a technical fault and they will fix it by a certain time in the afternoon. They did this for a couple of days but it still was not fixed. We had to have freezing cold showers because the hot water went, we had to use our phones as torches because there were no lights. We were on the 6th floor and had to use the stairs in the dark as the lifts weren't working either. The electricians didn't seem to know what they were doing, we saw them from our balcony just wacking at things with a tool. We had to beg the receptionist to let us all in the hotel spa so that we could have a hot shower but they were all very rude and clearly didn't want us there getting in the way.

The hotel has large pools with bars around that sold refreshments for free for all inclusive guests which was good when we got hot and bothered in the sun...oh wait...they never had any cups to serve us the drinks in! Good luck finding a sun bed as well, one night we got back very late and I was on the phone on my balcony at about 5am and there were already people putting their towels down, it was ridiculous especially as some of them didn't make it down until the late afternoon. We even had to pay a lot for the sunbeds on the beach, you would've thought an all inclusive hotel would include the sunbeds?

Sunny beach was ok, the only thing that there is to do really but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if I stayed somewhere decent. Everything is so cheap out there and it is happy hour in every bar not just for one hour but all day! There's lots to do around sunny beach, the nightlife is great I would really recommend Bulgaria with friends for the nightlife but just find somewhere nice to stay!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2010

Before i went to chakia hotel i read some awfull reviews such as cherubiniboys one below, i cannot disagree anymore !!

The only bad thing was i am a fussy eater and my boyfriend isnt so it depended on the food on the night if i could eat in the resteraunt or not and we went all inclusive. The area around us was nothing but beach, friendly faces, little stalls with different things to buy and the most amazing resteraunts ive ever been to! ( i recommend the castle, get the curry ! )

We checked in at 2.30 and we were given a key and taken to our room, the room was very clean throughout, the bed sheets were changed every day and we had a balcony, our room looked onto the centre pool in the hotel whcih was very pretty.

The hotel has THREE pools, the one next to the castle was usually the quietest, but you have to get up at like 7 to put your towels out.

We booked scuba diving but unfortunetly the sea was too rough so we just got our money back.

PLEASE DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY ANY REVIEWS, this hotel was absoultly amazing. I was 18 when i went and my boyfriend 20, but i reconised there was alot of big families with young children. Nightlife is out of the way which means you can walk 10 mins to the night clubs.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple