“Watch out for the management team”
Review of Hotel Riu Helios

Hotel Riu Helios
Ranked #4 of 222 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My friends and I booked a last minute cheap holiday to Bulgaria, the cost and for what we received was great.
The food like all European destinations was alright to say the least, but you release after a few days what to eat and what not to eat. The meat we found was a no go, but the snack bar available provided a good variety so all ages.
The all inclusive bar was brilliant unlike other hotels visited only local spirits are available but you can actually choose from a small list of imported spirits. The cocktails are also really good and the bar are staff friendly too!

I DO HAVE ONE VERY BIG DOWNFALL HOWEVER!

We were on a holiday to enjoy some hot sun to meet other people and just generally have a good time and our group of friends is far from a loud or rowdy group (There was four of us). According to the hotel manager our room received many complaints against our room for noise?! This was a complete con to say the least! They slipped a letter under our door with no warning of us having made noise at all and demanded a 200 lev fine (approx £95). They did not give us any chance to appeal this and insisted that if we did not pay it we would be removed from the hotel.

I believe after having spoken to other people about situations that had occurred with themselves, that we were conned and treated very unfairly. Being we had the noise complaint after only the 3rd day of being in the hotel, we had no choice to pay and bite our lip as the hotel manager was not one of the most pleasant people I have met in my life.

Like I said the hotel is nice and all other staff are very friendly but management treated us very unfairly from the first day they saw us, I feel we were judged before even having spoken to us.

Traveled with Thomson Holidays between 14-22 July 2014.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Andy S

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Spent 11 nights at Hotel Riu Helios at the beginning of July and got to say one of the best 4 stars we have stayed in. I can be quite discerning so I do not say that lightly.

I had e=mailed the hotel in advance for a pool/sea-view room with sun in late afternoon and the room ticked all of the boxes so that was a great start.

Check in went smoothly and in any dealings with the front desk were handled well and you were greeted with a smile when you approached with a query. As has been stated previously remember you can bottled water any time you require it with the in room fridge an added bonus.

The room was cleaned daily with fresh linen changed at least 4 times I can remember maybe more and again the maid was very pleasant. As a side issue my own philosophy is to small tip as I go along on a holiday rather than to reward at the end and I found that it works well although I do know that some people don't tip at all. Everyone to their own ways I suppose.

Back to the hotel- Bar staff were excellent -never waited once -no queues and all the staff were happy at their work. Drinks were ok with some international brands but remember to ask for them. If not you will get local which to be honest was not that bad. I found the house wine drinkable although my wife did not and therefore that cost me a few Levs but her intake is a lot less than mine so not a big issue for me. You can also carry your wine over to the next evening if required.

The food was very good and varied with the Bulgarian/Asian an excellent change when required. We went to the Asian twice during our stay as we enjoyed the first visit so much (41 years anniversary) I judge overall food apart from the obvious taste etc., with how the salads are presented -how fresh? has the lettuce been washed properly? it is always a good indication of kitchen standards. This hotel got 10/10 and needless to say no stomach upsets or anything nasty like that on this holiday. A special mention to George the restaurant manager. He runs a good operation. Tables cleared. We never sat down to a table you thought had been used previous.

Never did join in the daytime stuff but was there if you wanted to and apart from water polo there were no disruptions to the pool at that only lasted 15 mins anyway. Night-time was mixed and in the final few days the co-ordinator was absent and this seemed to affect performance a bit. However the staff themselves were very pleasant and were always looking for feedback to improve.

As for Sunny Beach itself it was what it says on the tin. We were out and about a few times, visited Nessebar which was nice. Buses are chaotic but fun and cheap. We went to Borgas to attend RC mass( yes there are Catholic churches in Bulgaria). However the great thing about this hotel is while you are right in the middle of Sunny Beach when you go back into the hotel it is so tranquil. A little tip if you are exchanging money. The great exchange rates shown on the boards are the rate they give you

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank jimjodonnell
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We have just come back with some friends from this lovely Riu Hotel. We always go to Riu and this hotel didn't disappoint us . it was right in the middle of the resort . Most of the Hotel staff were friendly and helpful, everywhere was spotless , Always managed to get a sun bed but our friend had to getup early to do get them. The food was nice and my friend is very fussy but even she found lots to eat. The pool snack bar was always stacked with food and drink and in the afternoon lovely tea and cakes. It was lovely being right on the beach the time of year we were there is was very packed . Entertainment team tried very hard to entertain during the day and evening but most people go out at night as it's happening right outside the hotel. Our only gripe was that the safe was too small and we were unable to get our iPad in there . We would definitely return to this Hotel as we paid a very reasonable price and had a fab week and the resort is so cheap.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view as the side we were on was a bit noisy .
1  Thank DartfordRiuFans
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Cannot begin to say how marvellous this hotel and its staff are. We went on our first family holiday in 4 years and were just needing a complete break. I emailed the hotel prior to our arrival to ask for 2 rooms close together preferably poolside and got exactly what I had asked for.
The hotel rooms are spotless and the maid service is done quietly and efficiently with always a smile and a greeting when we met them in the corridor. My husband's birthday was whilst we were there and we had not told anyone however there was a complimentary bottle of bubbly in our room when we went back before dinner and Happy Birthday wishes from the staff. These little touches really made us feel welcome and special. The food was amazing and so much choice. For catering to such a large population the standard was superb. My son missed breakfast one day so he used the snack bar facilities where we usually had lunch anyway. Being All Inclusive was great as the weather was so hot so you could rehydrate as often as you liked. Loved the afternoon teas but these were only an indulgence as was never hungry due to so much choice. We tried both the themed restaurants whilst we were there and they are a must. Be careful of the Bulgarian Liquor - powerful!!
The Animation team were all brilliant and got you motivated to try things but quite happy to let you chill if that is what you wanted. Their evening shows were fab and they encouraged audience participation in their Karaoke evenings.Our holiday was made even better by meeting this group of enthusiastic youngsters. Visit nearby Nessebar by either watertaxi or walking along the beach. It is a beautiful old town. Sunny beach is very commercial but if you don't go into the centre there are some lovely wee bars if you want a wee while away from the hotel. Would we go back?? In a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the poolside of the hotel are quieter and the views are better.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Bodhischmit
Reviewed 20 July 2014

There isnt a single negative thing to be said about this hotel. Rooms are immaculate and cleaned everyday. Staff were lovely and the entertainment team were amazing. They were fun to chat to and they had various activities going on constantly throughout the day, eg air rifle shooting, volleyball, football, water polo and many more. They put on briliant entertainment shows at night and the bar staff were top class. The food in the hotel was the best ive had in any hotel. They had so many options to choose from and the food was always warm and tasted super! The location of this hotel is brilliant and no matter what age you are this hotel catered for everyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view. As they have 2 pools with lots of overlooking roms.
2  Thank JLogan940
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My boyfriend & I have just returned from a wonderful week at the Hotel Riu. This was our first holiday all inclusive and it set the bar high. There was a good variety of food, the only complaint we have is some of the meat is a bit iffy but you do get that in other countries. Unlike some places where you can only have local beer and wine, this hotel lets you have the spirits and cocktails too which are yummy & if you have a balcony room we would definitely recommend getting 2 each and going up to your room and sit on the balcony drinking them as the sun disappears from the pool area about 4.30 but is on the balcony's till about 8. The air conditioning is a little iffy, some times you would have a really cool room but other times the room would be too warm. The entertainment is brilliant and all the staff are happy and fun despite working long hours. Most flights out of here are late night but you can extend your room for about 30 GBP.
The rooms are cleaned daily and the maids are polite and sweet. You have a fridge in your room and reception give you big bottles of water so stock up the fridge and you get nice, free, cold water for your trip. The good thing is even after you check out you can still eat and drink there as they don't take the wristband off you.
The only bad bad thing we had was the room next to us decided to bring a group of people back and have a loud after party, at 7am. The walls are quite thin so you can hear most things if people are a little loud.
Like I said though, hotel was amazing and would recommend it to anybody and would 100% go back.
Sunny Beach has a notorious bad reputation due to the TV show but it really isn't that bad, the place is huge and I recommend it for all, couples, families, girls & lads holidays. It is as cheap as they say with some places selling beer for about 40p in English pounds.

Would really recommend doing the Lazy Day Boat Cruise, it was wonderful and you get all inclusive drinks (beer, wine, soft) and a lovely lunch and you sail around Nessebar & Sunny Beach for 5 hours, pick up included for roughly under 25GBP. Also did a Sunset Cruise one night which was beautiful, we had wild dolphins following the boat for about and hour and some champagne and snacks while the sunset.

Sunny Beach was just lovely and so was the Riu.

Room Tip: Rooms on 2nd floor don't have a balcony and personally the view of the front of hotel is better...
2  Thank HayleyElph
Reviewed 19 July 2014

my husband and I stayed here first week of July, the hotel is nice overall, rooms cleaned regulary and food /drink good.This hotel is in the middle of the resort, access straight to beach from hotel 8lev per bed.

Evening entertainment wasnt that great and the pool is FREEZING! There is so much going on in the resort though so we went out every night.

If you are young turn right from the hotel entrance for your night life, if you dont want the mad strip turn left.

Overall we enjoyed the Helios facilities but would not go AI again as bulgaria is so cheap.

Room Tip: Most rooms are sea veiw at the back, much better.