“4 young adults in sunny beach for partying! Perfect location.”
Review of Hotel Riu Helios

Hotel Riu Helios
Ranked #4 of 220 Hotels in Sunny Beach
“4 young adults in sunny beach for partying! Perfect location.”
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

My 3 friends and I stayed for 1 week mid-July for our yearly party holiday! Perfect location, 30 seconds from all the action. We stayed all inclusive which was the best idea we had.... All pre drinks sorted!!! Surprisingly we were allowed to order 5/6 drinks each and take them up to our hotel room before we went out about 12.30. We had music loud every night and was never told to turn it down! The food was brilliant, hotel was clean, friendly and ideal. Highly recommend for young persons!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Leannehughes30

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Me and my boyfriend booked this hotel only 2 weeks before we went. We were not sure what to expect but it looked the nicest hotel out of all of the hotels in sunny beach. We were certainly not disappointed!! It is certainly one of the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in!

We did not pay for a pool view room so did not expect one but our travel agent emailed the hotel requesting one and they were able to fulfil our request. Our room was lovely! Clean, spacious and the bathroom was lush! Huge walk in shower. Our room was cleaned everyday and it was spotless.

The all inclusive programme was fantastic, drinks and food were brilliant! I have no idea what people are talking about when they say the beer is disgusting (it's lovely!) and the food is repetitive (we went for a week and nothing was repeated, apart from usual, veg, rice, pasta, pizza) there was always a really good selection of dishes. There are also no limitations on how often you visit the Bulgarian and Asian restaurants; we went to the Asian twice which is gorgeous and the Bulgarian the same amount of times. Although both nice the Asian was our favourite.

The animation team are brilliant. Always so friendly and they work so hard to cater for everyone's needs. My boyfriend never stopped and was involved in every activity they did!

I usually come back off holiday and have at least one thing to complain about but I literally cannot say a bad word about this hotel. Me and my boyfriend are both 24 and we had an amazing holiday! I could not recommend this hotel enough!! I would certainly return again!

Room Tip: Request a pool view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Demi C
Bucharest
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We spent 3 days at this hotel and we wad a great experience. The room was nice with a nice sea view, even if our room was exactly in a corner at 45degres from another room ,because of the construction of the hotel , but if you are friendly you can chat a little bit with your neighbours...:))The food is very good, you can find everything , and especially for kids it's perfect ..
2 bad points I must tell you: only 90 minutes of wifi for all your holiday (we are in 2014 ...not in 1998...)
The Sunny beach is very very crowd ,so I advice you to stay inside the resort for your safety and pleasure.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Oana G
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I chose this hotel based on the fact I have stayed with Riu chains before and know they always offer great quality, hospitality and I trust the partnership they have with Thomson's.

On check in I handed my Riu Gold member card over so to have points added for my stay, the reception staff looked very confused and were not sure what my card was, as it was early hours I decided to speak to a manager in the morning. In the morning the manager said the card needed to be handed over at the end of the holiday.

Our room was two single beds and what was described as a sofa bed. It was actually a dead square box far to small for the average male to sleep on, it also had no matress. We went down to reception to see if there was something they could do and the person behind the desk kept shaking their head saying 'no' 'no English' We realised at this point the box bed would be a perminant fixture in the room even tho they knew the room would hold 3 males.

As we had arrived early hours of the morning we went to bed without food so we woke eagerly for our breakfast the next morning - which was disappointing, there was no fruit juices instead they offered squash there was a poor selection of cereals and to make it even worse the hot food choices were shocking, I'm surprised they do not cater for English as well as Germans it seemed very German specific, We hoped this would change as the week went on but it did not.

Lunch was the better meal of the day although come day 5/6 it had got boring.

Dinner time there was no live cooking station as promised on the website and in the broucher, we were shocked as they are a common sight in Riu chains. The food was again repetitive and come day 5/6 it had become boring. I was also disappointed there were no theme nights to add extra choice now and again. I remembered reading in the broucher and website that there was an Asian and Bulgarian al' a Cart restaurants, keen to try the local food I asked where the Bulgarian restaurant was and the staff replied there is not one here. However the Asian restaurant was nice but you are only allowed 1 trip per week.

We wanted to talk to family back home using the free WIFI on offer, the broucher and website make it read as if its 90 mins per day (24 hours) but it was not. The 90 mins were from the moment you log in, so its essentially one day of WIFI and left us with no contact for the rest of the holiday.

Join the day we would sit by the pool, we were disappointed there was no pool bar as is promised and to top it off the beer on offer was disgusting, we tried to preserver with it but it just remained horrible and off tasting. We were a party of 3 men beer was to play a big part in our holiday - we remained pretty sober.
We deciced to try the beach. As we approached the sun beds we were told we need to pay to use them and if we wanted a parasol this would be more. We were so shocked as we were staying in a Riu hotel and the broucher / website suggest sun loungers are included, we looked around for a place to put our towels on the sand and to our amazement the beach was so full of pay for sun loungers we did not have this option.

We tried to sit through the night time entertainment which was very poor for the Riu Animations team some of the shows I have seen have been before are out of this world, this hotels entertainment was awful, some of it not in English or German so no one watching knew what was being sung and talked about - we left.
The animations team join the day were brilliant always friendly and trying to get you to participate in games and activities.

On check out I handed the Riu card over as instructed by the manager and again was confronted by confused staff they just continued to say 'I don't know, I don't know' so I don't even know if I have got my points added.

The whole holiday was very frustrating and disappointing and we really feel we wasted our money we would never of holidayed here knowing this was awaiting us. it was a very long week, we couldn't wait to come home.

I think Thomson's should re think this hotel and the star ratings given for this hotel or Riu really have let there standard slip. I was planning to book a wedding at a Riu hotel next year but I'm slightly anxious about doing this in case Riu has slipped down the ladder.

Room Tip: beware of adult family or friends trips as the 3rd bed is not a bed its a box without a mattress
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank jasonferrier
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I've come to the conclusion, after reading reviews on here, that I must be getting very picky in my old age. We stayed at the helios for 1 week from 4th August for our anniversary. Initially, we were very impressed, bigger room than expected, bottle of champagne, glasses and a lovely note waiting for us. That's where our good experience ended. Our room overlooked the car park which is very close to all of the bars so every night we listened to revellers until around 6 am. The food was inedible and we had no choice but to eat out every day, apart from the Asian restaurant, that was lovely, but needs to be pre booked. The soft drink mixers were so watered down they were almost transparent, the entertainment, for a riu, was shocking! Would definitely recommend khans tent, brilliant night out, the VIP cruise, however, needs to drop it's VIP tag, from the moment we were picked up, apart from a short safety speech from the captain, there was no interaction with the crew, they even refused my husband a life jacket, that was after I explained he was not a very strong swimmer, but also had a broken shoulder and ribs and couldn't manage to hold a float, rubbish customer service! Got threatened on the beach for sitting on the sand without paying, the list goes on! I would definitely not go back. I have stayed in rius all over the world, and never had the experiences that this hotel offered, dissatisfied is an understatement.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank patsyduffy
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

To be honest, we had been given mixed reviews about Bulgaria and Sunny Beach but it was an all inclusive holiday that was much cheaper than most parts of Europe so we thought we would give it a go.
We got there at 3am in the morning and thought that the hotel staff would be on a Skelton crew. However, due to the number of staff, check in only took five minutes and they made us feel extremely welcome.
Our room was exactly what we needed; air conditioning, a fridge, blackout curtains to stop the morning sun waking us up too early and a comfy bed. There was plenty of storage and the bathroom was well equipped with enough towels and toiletries. To be honest the hair dryer had about as much impact as a hamster blowing on you but that was such a minor thing as I had brought out my own.
As for the rest of the hotel, it was always clean and tidy. There were so many staff working to make the place comfortable and they were always friendly and helpful if you required something out of the ordinary.
A tip though: learning a little Bulgarian goes a long way.
The food was fab - such a variety to choose from, the 'animation' staff were so enthusiastic and made us smile every day.

On the whole we had a fantastic time and we would definitely go back there again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Alan L
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Hotel Riu Helios in Sunny Beach Bulgaria has to be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. By the time we arrived it was the early hours of the morning. We walked in to a very bright and glamorous reception area where the staff were all smiling and incredibly helpful. Leaving reception we were handed two large bottles of water, we then proceeded to our room and were pleasantly surprised by the size and quality. Our room had a pool and beach view with a nice spacious balcony. All of the sheets on the beds were crisp and immaculate as was all of the linen provided in the bathroom. All of the rooms (that our party occupied at least) had a TV, fridge and a hairdryer and air conditioning.
After an excellent night sleep we proceeded to the dining hall, the choice and quality of the food was second to none. We had a couple of fussy eaters and there was something there to suit everyone. This was the same at every meal we ate. I would really recommend trying the Asian and Bulgarian restaurants. You do have to specifically book these bit they are definitely worth it. Once the main meals times are finished there is also a snack bar where you can get hot and cold food or wrapped sandwiches to take away. Everyone loved being able to just go in and make an ice cream.
The staff in the hotel could not do enough to help, one of the waiters even helped us to learn some basic Bulgarian vocabulary. The animation (entertainment) team work tirelessly and are working from early in the day to very late in the evening. Although we didn't need to use it they run a kids club as well which apparently runs for a couple of hours every morning and then again in the afternoon.
They have a dedicated cleaning staff who are very good at what they do. Everyday our beds were made using the counterpayne to form a pattern, and the sheets were changed completely mid week.
The pools are immaculate and so refreshing and there what ever time of day we were always able to find a lounger around the pool somewhere. There are life guards on duty whenever the pools are open.
You have to checkout from your room by midday (although I believe there is a paid option where you can keep your room until 6pm). However they have a secure room where you can leave your luggage and if you book it early enough you can have the option to book a shower room so you can freshen up before your journey home.
All in all I can not praise highly enough the staff and overall impression of this hotel enough. I would definitely stay in a Riu hotel again.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are quieter as the streets at the front of the hotel stay busy until very late. Roo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family