“Excellent hotel! Recommended!”

Iberostar Sunny Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 222 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I traveled with 3 friends to Sunny Beach last month.
We had a great time in the Iberostar hotel. One of the best hotels I've ever been to.
The hotel is about 20 minutes driving from the Burgas Airport.
The hotel is separated to 2 buildings. The pool and the bar is shared for both buldings. I stayed at the second building which was very good. I think that the buildings are the same.
We arrived at Thursday night and the dinner was still waiting for us. the breakfast, lunch and dinner was very good and you can find everything there from salads to meat and desserts. We really enjoyed it.
There are 2-3 pools outside and one indoor pool. I can say that the outside pools were empty because the water is pretty cold these days, so we were only in the indoor pool which was nice.
We payed 20 lev for 1 hour in the sauna. It was private and worth the price.
The location of the hotel is very good although most of the hotels are nearby and everything is really close by foot.
The bar is open until 12AM and you can ask for local alcoholic drinks and cocktails which was very nice. The service is very lovely and friendly, they helped us in everything we needed.
The room is cleaned every morning. You get 2 bottles of mineral water every clean and you still can ask for more from the reception and it was really good.
For safe you need to pay 20 lev for 3 days. It's not that expensive but you still have to pay for that.
I really recommend the hotel, although on this time of season young people will have trouble to find things to do.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Eyalp7
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Sunny Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our IBEROSTAR Sunny Beach hotel for your holidays in Bulgaria and for the time you spent to share these wonderful comments on your stay, our main goal being to achieve maximum customer satisfaction we are enchanted to read that we have been successful on this occasion and for your kind recommendation to Tripadvisor’s readers.

We also appreciate your praising comments on our gastronomy offer as in IBEROSTAR we know that meals are a very important aspect of our guests' overall holiday experience, this is why our professional Chefs strive on a daily basis to prepare a wide variety of typical local dishes as well as the best international delights in order to please all palates, we are proud to read that we could conquer yours.

We also thank you for your highlight on the location of our hotel, right on the beachfront and within a walking distance to the many leisure, shopping and dining options on the doorstep.

Last but not least, we are grateful for your kind words towards our staff, their kindness and helpfulness being our hotel's main strength we will definitely congratulate them all on your behalf for their contribution to your wellbeing whilst staying among us.

Once again, thank you for your visit; we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in our IBEROSTAR hotels in the most beautiful destinations worldwide.

Friendly Regards,
IBEROSTAR Sunny Beach

Write a ReviewReviews (1,462)

Reviewed 13 October 2013

The sad part about this review is that if it was written in the middle of summer it would have been much different. In part I blame Thomas Cook for recommending this resort knowing that the season was over. The hotel was clean and the staff very friendly, but I have never stayed in a hotel where there isn't an alarm clock and radio in the room(Not that I had to set the alarm as there was nothing to do)The food was OK and there was always something I could find - especially in the salad bar, the fruit and deserts. The hot(sorry luke warm) food was usually overcooked and not very warm at all. Luckily there was only about 70 guests in the hotel(dropping to about 40 at the end of our stay)as the toaster took about 5 passes through the machine before the toast even got a slight sun tan!!- like the guests!
The weather was terrible which of course affected our thoughts about the place, but the pool was freezing, the snack bar had no-one in attendance most of the time, you had to pay for the Suana, the professional entertainment was non existent and the hotel staff were to be congratulated on their attempts, but they should have left the childish humour for the children (all 4 or 5 of them) and concentrated much more on the singing and dancing.We were relocated from our dining room for the last 2 days to the smaller"exclusive" dining room as the hotel had rented out the space for a private function, the selection of food was smaller and more difficult to find what you wanted.
The biggest criticism is that they remained open and took bookings even though Sunny Beach was 95% closed down, looking more like a shanty town with boarded up shops, covered in black polythene and scraps of wood siding, and stray dogs and cats wandering the streets at night. The lounge chairs on the beach had all been removed and had there been any sun there was no where to relax, except the pool that is with over 400 hundred lounge chairs and only 20 or 30 guests on the last couple of days
I would hate to be there at the height of the season as the size of the bars and dining room would mean a lot of waiting in line- especially for the toaster.
Some of the younger female guests said that the didn't feel very comfortable going out at nights as the streets were virtually deserted and all the night clubs and bars boarded up.All the sight seeing trips were cancelled but again I blame that on Thomas Cook Travel, as they certainly did not live up to their end of the bargain and I am never quite sure where their agent was, but as she got on the bus on the last day she said "We hope you come back to Sunny Beach(jeers from the crowd) but please don't come back in October as I want to go home!!"
That about sums it up!!!!
We had left Vancouver to go to England for five weeks to settle the affairs of my father in law who had just passed away. We needed a week away from wills, funerals, probates, house sales etc. etc, and Thomas Cook suggested this resort. On the Wednesday my wife said if she could catch a plane that day she would go home!!Quite frankly the whole trip was a waste of seven hundred pounds- thank goodness for the open bar!!!!
Bye the way we even had frost, and me from Canada!
PS I will be sending a copy of this letter to Thomas Cook!

Room Tip: try a room in October in Cyprus!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank percsSurreyBC
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Sunny Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Firstly we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your personal impressions on your recent stay at our IBEROSTAR Sunny Beach hotel; it is only through feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain and indeed, where necessary, improve upon the service that we provide to our valued guests.

We deeply regret your disappointment with your overall stay in our hotel and as you well say, the bad weather and resort being shut down must have contributed quite a lot to a negative feeling about your October holiday in Bulgaria, for future occasions we invite you to contact our call center so we can offer you a personalized booking guidance and give you all the relevant information to make sure that you choose the destination, hotel type and services that best fit your holiday needs and wishes.

Moreover, we took good note of your comment related to the animation offer and will forward it to our head of animation so as to guarantee evening shows that suit all ages and nationalities.

Once again, thank you for your time, we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in our hotels and resorts in the most beautiful destinations worldwide ensuring you in advance of our utmost commitment to offer you a very enjoyable holiday experience with IBEROSTAR.

IBEROSTAR Sunny Beach

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Cant fault the hotel, its spotless and the location is bang in the centre of town. Very safe at night. The food was of good quality and the drinks kept flowing from 10am till midnight. Loved it.. And allready returned to go again june 14!! :)

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Danny-Welsh
Reviewed 9 October 2013

this hotel was clean but found warmed up food and nothing for the children to do in hotel neither, mini club was closed most of the holiday and if u like a early night then its ok but im 36 and dont want to be in bed at half ten entertainmant when on was terrible if u like seeing fully grown men rolling around dressed up as babies for ur entertainment then great but this wasnt for me, mould on cheese and rock hard chips are not my kind of food, thomas cook told me there would be plenty to do in resort but it was all shut down,,, thomas cook have miss sold me this holiday then have a cheek to offer me 300 pounds in a voucher back as they didnt know it would be closed down im now in progress of a story my experiance was that bad,,, its clearly not a place for children even we everythings open,, my advise is stay clear of bulgaria if ur planning on taking children and thomas cook are a joke,,,,,

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Michelle B
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Sunny Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Michelle,

Although we deeply lament reading that your stay at our IBEROSTAR Sunny Beach Resort hotel was not as enjoyable as it could have been, we would like to thank you for sharing your observations with us because this gives us the opportunity to make improvements and thus offer all our guests a better service, which ultimately is the goal of IBEROSTAR.

However, we would like to point out that our Mini Club was open from 10:30 to 12:30 and from 15:00 to 17:00 which are the normal opening times throughout the season, unfortunately during your stay out of school holidays your two kids were the only children in the resort, we assume that it is part of your disappointment; Furthermore, our hotel offers a Mini Club for kids from 4 to 7; a Maxi Club for kids from 8 to 12 and a Teenie Club for kids from 13 to 17, so we can easily state that it is a children friendly hotel with lots of activities organized for kids.

Moreover, we lament reading your disappointment on our gastronomy offer, nevertheless we would like to point out that in our buffet, apart of cheese and chips you can also find a wide variety of typical local dishes as well as the best international delight so as to offer our guests the possibility to savor different flavors throughout the holiday; Our hotel is HACCP certified, following the strict food safety management system as per EN ISO 22000:2005, thus minimizing possible dangers in food processing, preparation and presentation. In IBEROSTAR we apply these high standards of quality and want to reassure you on this point.

On the other hand we are grateful for your highlight on the cleanliness of our installations as we strive to give total confidence in this area, most of all knowing how important this aspect is for a carefree holiday experience for parents.

We invite you for any upcoming holiday planning to have a look at our website or contact our call center for all the relevant information you may need to make a reservation for the destination, hotel type and services that best fit your family’s holiday needs and wishes.

Once again, thank you for your visit, we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in our IBEROSTAR hotels all over the world, ensuring you in advance of our utmost care and dedication.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

The hotel is clean, well maintained, and nice overall. A limited number of lifts meant it was often quicker and easier to run up and down stairs than to wait.

It's been said, but there's a limit on the number of beds, so that can be a bit of a concern. That said, we were there in peak and still found beds every day that we wanted them.

Pools are not heated, although I'd belive you if you said that they were cooled. I'd only been into one colder pool and that was Denmark in October. But you get used to them, and the kids seem happy enough.

Food was pretty good; with different themes every evening, and coping with a lot of nationalities. Not suitable if you only want egg and chips every day, but if you're willing to try something new, then fine.

There are lots of comments about the weather and the seasonal nature of Bulgaria/ Sunny Beach, which surprised me as I was aware before I booked that there was a definate cut-off for summer season, in terms of weather and as a resort, but maybe I was lucky to find this.

The Hotel staff went above and beyond when I realised that I'd left my video camera behind; when I contacted them they were already investigating how to get it back to me.

Room Tip: We had a corner room almost facing the pools, and it was massive, you could hear the entertainment a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank AddyNuf

Dear Guest,

We sincerely thank you for the time and effort spent to share your impressions about your stay at the IBEROSTAR Sunny Beach Resort; we are pleased to read that overall you had an enjoyable time among us.

We also appreciate your praising comments on our gastronomy offer as in IBEROSTAR we know that meals are a very important aspect of our guests' overall holiday experience, this is why our professional Chefs strive on a daily basis to prepare a wide variety of typical local dishes as well as the best international delights in order to please all palates, it is very enjoyable to read that we could conquer yours.

Last but not least, we greatly appreciate your kind words towards our staff, their kindness and helpfulness being our hotel's main strength we will definitely congratulate them all on your behalf for their contribution to your wellbeing whilst staying among us and after when you realized that you forgot your camera, and we hope you receive it well.

Once again, thank you for your nice comments; we would be enchanted to accommodate you once more in our IBEROSTAR hotels in the most beautiful destinations worldwide.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Our stay at this hotel and resort was booked as a treat to my Dad so it wasn't vitally important that there was lots of things to do, but we were a little disappointed when we had a wander around the area (wrapped up) to find lots of places closed and very little open.
The hotel was lovely and very well cleaned (a bit of a joke after a few days watching them all), the staff were very helpful and cheerful. The food was good, although towards the end of the week you could see that they were trying to use ingredients up.
The entertainment team did the best they could with the wide age group that were left, but the night time entertainment was a bit basic and at times childish - but when they did a serious piece (music or dance) this was much more enjoyable.
I would stay here again - but go earlier on in the year just for a bit of warm sunshine. It all adds to the exeperience!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jacques1408

Dear Jacques,

Thank you very much for the time you spent to share your personal impressions on your stay at our IBEROSTAR Sunny Beach Resort; it is always rewarding to read that our guests have enjoyed their holidays among us.

We took good note of your comment regarding our animation team. We strive to bring a program that surprises and involves. Our staff dedicates a lot of effort trying to reach each and every guest to participate in the carefully chosen leisure options. We will continue doing our utmost to offer evening show performances of good taste that satisfy all ages in the future.

We also appreciate your kind words towards our staff, their kindness and helpfulness being our hotel's main strength we will definitely congratulate them all on your behalf for their contribution to your wellbeing whilst staying among us.

Once again, thank you for your praising comments, we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in our IBEROSTAR hotels in the most beautiful destinations worldwide.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Nice hotel nice place wrong time
Found late September was a bit late to go to sunny beach as most things were closing down so I suggest go a couple of weeks earlier,
After hearing mixed views about Bulgaria I was a it concerned about going but soon found myself enjoying the area with its colourful nightlife just outside the hotel
Would definitely go back

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view and low room as waiting for the lifts was a bit of a pain
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends