“Nice but not amazing”

Ranked #3 of 220 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Nice but not amazing”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed in the Helena Park for 10 days end of |July early August. It was the first time my Husband and I had been on holiday without the Children for almost 20 years. We have been all around the world and have been to some glorious hotels and after reading the rave reviews for this hotel we decided upon the Helena Park. We decided on Bulgaria as it was one of the few places we had not been. Must admit watching the TV programme before going away nearly put us off but the fact the Hotel is well away from the busy strip encouraged us to go. We had a lovely time but I do think some of the reviews on here are fairly misleading and this is why I feel I need to write mine. Perhaps our standards are high but I do not feel this hotel is of a 4 star rating.

The transfer was not a good start I found the coach driver extremely rude and my first impression of Bulgaria was set with a grunt which I didn't take kindly to at 3 am after a long journey. The coach driver then dropped off the wrong cases at one hotel so the poor man who's cases these were was not happy and nor were we as we sat there for ages waiting for it to be sorted, this was 4 am by now! Once we finally arrived the Hotel staff were nice enough and we got to our room very efficiently. We had paid for a superior room. This gave us a pool and slight sea view and was slightly larger than some of the other rooms I believe but to us it was no larger than average and not superior but the air conditioning was very efficient and the cleanliness was was faultless.

The food well we usually come home after eating at an all inclusive a few pound heavier but this time came home the same and that was only due to the alcohol consumption. Everything tastes of DILL!! I walked in the restaurant some days and the smell just turned my stomach. My Husband and I are quite fussy eaters and did find something most days but nearly everything was fried and the meat was undistinguishable. One night I just had a bit of turkey and mash (which is filled with butter) and a few veg but the veg was filled with dill yet again which then put me off. The soups are very good which I ended up living off but the desserts are all the same and there isn't much choice. Breakfasts are fairly good if you like bacon, eggs etc, the scrambled egg is sloppy and tastes burnt. Lunch is either in the pool restaurant or the main restaurant. Pizza, chips and some meat I didn't recognise every day in the pool restaurant. The pizza boy makes them all day but they are bland. One day the pizza boy was sitting at the small poolside bar having his break. I noticed a tattoo on his arm which I found highly offensive and should be covered up. My Husband is covered in tattoos but this one read "Money over b.........s" seriously and when he saw me looking with disgust he just laughed. The poolside bar staff are very miserable too. The restaurant staff worked hard. Our lad who remembered our drinks every night was efficient and friendly. The restaurant has carpet in some areas and needs a good vaxing.

The entertainment was a bit of a let down too. The staff work very hard bless them and if you like volley ball and getting up and making a bit of a fool of yourself then its fine. We were expecting some good shows in the evening but they were poor. They did us a favour though as we walked the strip most nights and found some nice bars and great bargains. Unless you walk all the way to flower street which is were most of the young ones are it isn't too loud. My husband and I did go to flower street one night to see and ended up clubbing till 4am! I must say it was one of the best nights i've ever had. There was no trouble and the young ones were fine.

I personally wouldn't bother going all inclusive again to Sunny Beach as it is so cheap. I found that the Helena Sands Hotel which is far superior to the Park Resort is Bed and Breakfast and the facilities are so much better. We felt like the poor cousins next door in the Helena Park and even though we thought we could use their facilities we could only use the indoor pool and gym. As we went out most nights along the strip we paid for our drinks which were so much better and they are so cheap and eating out is too.

The beach is really close by and there is a reserved area for Helena Resort holiday makers but the beach bar is not all inclusive so it is unbearable once your water has run out.

We went on a couple of excursions making the most of our child free time. The quads were really good. We went into the Bulgarian Mountains and the view was fantastic. We also did the catamaran trip which was amazing. Depending on the time of year but we saw dolphins swimming all around us and jumping out of the sea for what seemed forever, something I will never forget. I few people found this trip disappointing as they ended up at the back of the boat and didn't see much. My word of advice is once you get off the bus move quickly and try to get to the front, we did so easily and ended up at the very front of the boat on the nets. These only hold 6 people on each (36 in total) and we had 60 on the boat so don't hang about and you will have a wonderful experience.

All in all we came home feeling as if we had had a nice holiday but would not go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view if possible as the road the other side is quite busy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Justine W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
northampton
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The park hotel is excellent except for the pool. You have to get up well early to bag a bed in the sun during the day and if you try to use the sands pool some big geezer tells you you've signed a contract? not to use their pool. the food and staff are top notch. The location ok unless your room faces the main road and it's dirt cheap out and about. will we go back NO, sunny beach at night is for the kids and not for those of us on the wrong side of 40, but for a good cheap holiday i would recommend.
Fat Cats on the strip is well worth a visit and if you go say hello to alex, they sell good guinness and strongbow.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andycobbler
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Have just returned from a two week stay from Helena resort and it was absolutely fantastic. All of the staff from cleaners to hotel management were always happy to help you and always with a smile. The hotel is spotlessly clean and is in a wonderful location. It's at the quiet end of Sunny Beach. This is a super family hotel and there is various nightly entertainment which is suitable for the whole family. We stayed all inclusive and there are plenty of bars and endless teas and coffee available without ever having to queue. The Pizzeria is open all day for snacks of Pizza, Kebabs and salads etc. Cakes appear every afternoon and there is a huge selection of food available at breakfast, lunch and evening meal times. Good choice of English foods and plenty of other cuisines to choose from. Nightly was always one from either roast turkey, beef, leg of lamb leg of pork or racks of ribs all served with pots and veg.The waiters always remember your drinks order and are always offering refills. All rooms are quiet, we occupied 4 rooms at various points, the internet worked in some but not all. The rooms are cleaned daily and are spacious and spotless. We took towels but didn't use them, plenty available from hotel.The beach is 20mtrs from gate of hotel complex and well away from noise of the the strip. The strip rns for several miles and it's full of shops and stalls selling all goods at good prices. Would definitely love to go back and without doubt choose this hotel, it was faultless and would like to say big thank you to all of the staff there who made it such a wonderful stay. Thank you all.

Room Tip: All rooms have nice views but some rooms have trouble picking up wifi. If you are staying in large g...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Mia E
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We have recently returned from our holiday at Helena Park resort, Bulgaria. We found it one of the best holidays we have had, this was due to the superb location of the resort, the cleanliness of the hotel, the friendly staff and the excellent food and drink.
Although being on Sunny Beach, the hotel is located on the quieter north end of the strip which means you have the option of walking into the busier areas if you want to. The shops and bars along the strip were excellent, with great choice particularly of gifts and clothing. The beach was a short walk away, directly opposite the hotel with a dedicated area for guests of the resort. The only slight downside of using the beach was the beach bar was not subject to the all inclusive package.
We could not fault the cleanliness of the hotel, the cleaning staff operated non-stop throughout the day and well into the evening. The bedrooms were spotless, being cleaned everyday. Pool towels were available at no extra cost and could be changed up to twice a day if you wished.
The food was of an excellent quality and there was so much choice, particularly in the evening. The staff throughout the hotel were very helpful and friendly, especially the dining room staff who gave a 5* quality of service. We were allocated a table on the first night and this was our table for the week, our waiter knew our drinks order by the second night and looked after us so well.
Finally, we must mention the Animation team. The entertainment provided was varied and you were encouraged to participate if you wished to do so. They were extremely friendly and even found time to wave us off when we left. In particular our thanks to Kris who was our favourite!!
We would thoroughly recommend this hotel for all the reasons mentioned above and we would definitely go back, we are seriously considering the same holiday again next year!!

Room Tip: Our room was at the front of the hotel and even though there was a road outside there were no issues...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank John M
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

As I am writing this review I am sitting in the lobby of this beautiful hotel.
My husband and I stayed in the Helena Park All Inclusive for a week and I have to say it was one of the best holiday I have ever had. We came back to Sunny Beach after spending a week in Riu Helios Hotel, so I have enough experience of Sunny Beach Hotels.
The accommodation: the building as such is beautiful, rooms are spacious and very clean.
They are actually 2 hotels in the Helena Resort. One is called Helena Sands and is not All Inclusive but really luxurious, fit for a lavish wedding and nearly too good for an average holiday maker. In this hotel there is a gym, which guests from the other hotel building can use as it is a part of All Inclusive.
+BIG PLUS: the air condition in the rooms is working non stop, even if you take the card(key) from the main power switch.
+ balcony is a very nice feature that every room can enjoy
- MINUS: the wi-if doesn't work in rooms, as it's advertised
FOOD: perfect if you are a vegetarian. My husband really struggled.He actually preferred food in Riu Hellios.I think the presentation of salads is beautiful,soups were nice and you get a delicious deserts like homemade cake.Which are different every night.I have never seen this before.
- MINUS: cheap meat cuts, not balanced menu, one day you don't know what to eat first, because there is so much to choose from and next day you think there is no food to choose from.my hubby didn't get a steak the whole weak so that was a problem
SLEEP: excellent, that's why we picked this hotel because it is placed at the and of Sunny Beach,which is quiet enough,but if you want to party, you can. Have to say I asked for a quiet room and the management did accommodate us.It was a better approach than from
Helios Hotel,where we weren't sleeping well, because of the noise from the street and we were told that it is a party area and basically to get on with it.
STAFF: waiting staff extremely helpful.they look at you first before they lift you plate always checking on you, always smiling,always bring you drink.bye the way the wine isn't the best so we drank mostly champagne.
RECEPTION : very understaffed
ANIMATION team: poor English , not talented enough, one particular girl from the an.team flirted with every guest that seemed to be male.2 young boys were very good actors and soon funny, but would deserve a better team. Stephan was the name of the best boy, got bless, he did the most entertaining .

Room Tip: Any room would be quiet
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travellforever
Southern Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We have just returned from staying at helena park( 14th July to 21st July)....it was my husband's first holiday abroad. Went with my sister and brother-in-law. We had a fab time . Plenty of food and drink. Food was lovely plenty of choice. Ideal place to stay because your not in the thick of the strip where all the bars are . It is busy and noisy . Yet only five mins to walk if you want to go. Lots of shops. Helena park was spotless.....lovely staff except for a few bar staff ..miserable at times. As for the animation team they were all lovely and fun to be around. They always had time to stop and chat with you. The rooms were lovely . Towels and bedding changed daily you also get pool towels which you can change daily by the pool area. Would recommend if you are getting picked up late at night keep one room on. It's well worth it.got to pay extra but between two couples it wasn't so bad. We kept one room on till seven. We stayed by pool all day. Went to shower and pack then checked out by 7pm. Put our cases in room by reception and went to have our evening meal then our coach picked us up at 10pm. ......Would highly recommend helena park. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Denydoofer
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is just lovely. Right on the beach but just far enough down the strip so you don't have all the craziness right outside but its close enough to get to (2 mins walk down the promenade) this hotel is so so clean, the food is lovely and the staff so helpful. They will provide u with water at reception, perfect to take to the beach. The towel hut has more than enough towels and we didn't have a problem getting a sunbed. The weather in September is glorious! The grounds of the hotel are perfectly kept and u always see people cleaning. The beach bar is good for food in the afternoon, breakfast is lovely as is the evening buffet- I'd recommend the shark! We had a superior room right above the pool, it was kept very clean and the sheets changed daily. Bathroom was spotless too. Had a lovely balcony which u can smoke on (ideal for us to be fair) but we also relaxed there and played cards.
My only issues were that the pool is absolutely freezing!! Saw 1 person swimming the whole week we were there so we went in the sea instead. And the other was check in, 1 guy checking 2 coach loads in at 1am and he struggled. Also, I'd originally booked a completely different holiday with my ex about 18 months previous, I changed it to this holiday 9 months before we went with my New partner and paid the price to change names etc, no problem with the flights but when checking in they had it booed in mine and my exes name when his name had never appeared on the booking for this particular hotel and we were booked to go to Tunisia originally and I'd changed the names before changing the booking so this was very embarrassing for me and my partner! However, the gent at reception checked the other documents and without fuss he just changed the name and gave us the key. Once during our stay, our room key randomly stopped working, went down to reception and the rectified it immediately.
I would highly recommend this hotel, it was a perfect holiday so thank you Helena Park and all of your staff, be proud of your hotel, we will be back and we tell all of our friends and family about the hotel!!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple