“Ok but not good enough”
Review of Helena Park Hotel

Helena Park Hotel
Ranked #3 of 221 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We have visited Bulgaria before. We thought we were booking a better hotel but was I wrong .The only good thing about the hotel was the cleanliness the chambermaid are excellent at their job . The food is very repetive and their was no choice for my grandchildren they lived on pizza for 10 days. I booked with first choice because it is supposed to be for families there was no entertainment for the kids or for us it was very disappointing. The pool was very cold and slippery for children, there was loungers available on the beach for the hotel but it was always a task of getting one. The beach loungers were all broken and ripped and in very poor condition.

4  Thank Tracy N
There are newer reviews for Helena Park Hotel

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed a weeks holiday here at the end of July staying at the Helena Park Resort. The sister hotel is Helena Sands, which is directly off the beach, has the Italiante pool. The Park is more gardens but you have the sun ALL day where as the Sands is cut off late afternoon as the sun goes nehind that part of the hotel. You are unable to use each others pools as you have different coloured towels so you can be identified. Each hotel has their own restaurant, pool bar too. You can use their bar but you need to pay, a bit pointless when you have your own all inclusive around the corner but one thing I would say is the Helenna Sands does have a nice reception/bar area.

CHECK IN: There was only one family checking in so this was a quick turnaround when we arrived. Bell boy takes your luggage to your room which was nice to save you carting your cases around.

ROOM - large room with great air con. Stays on when you remove your card so always as cool as you want it to be. Bathroom is well equiped and quite a powerful shower for a holiday hotel. Hairdryer is not great so recommend taking your own. Towels and bedding changed regularly and room is always spotless when cleaned by the maids. Nice size balcony. We requested a high room so were on the 5th floor over the main reception. Yes there is a road and is always busy but we hardly heard that much noice when the patio doors were closed. You have a mini fridge which you have water/fruit juice in on the first day but not replnished for free, you are charged thereafter which I thought was strange for an all inclusive. We brought in our own water from the supermarket across the road so wasn't a major issue.

FOOD: Breaktast has everything you could ask for from fresh fruit, cereals, cooked breakfast, breads, continental (cheeses, tomato, cucumber, salad etc), toast, fruit juice and a selection of teas/coffee. Lunch was always spoilt for choice and Dinner was great too. Salad bar is huge then you have another one with different sauces,dips mixed amongs them. Always a fresh cold meat which varied everynight from salmon to hams etc. Always a choice of 2 soups (lovely) and the hot selection had at least 5/6 meats to chose from chicken, pork, beef, fish, goulash, lasagne and then various vegetables and a selection of potatoes/chips. Kids corner had fresh pizza and pasta with a selection of sauces. Fresh baked bread to cut yourself on one size then various rolls on the other. Ice cream was there for lunch and dinner as was the fruit display and then a cake one too. You could help yourself to juices or when you sat at your table the waiter would bring you whatever you wanted.

On your first time in the restaurant you asked if you want to sit inside or out. They locate you a table and this is yours for the duration which I loved. You have two sittings, one from 6pm - 7.30pm and the other one from 8pm - 9.30pm.

They also have a snack bar a the pool restaurant which opens I think from 10am to 5pm. They always have their fresh oven baked pizza, chicken kebabs and a couple of other meats, chips, soup, salad, and ice cream with cones. We tended to use this after having such a nice breakfast for a scooby snack then have a nice meal in the evening. The reception bar at the pool serves drink from 10am and have coffee machines there to help yourself (these are quite nice) and they have little cakes in the afternoon (shortbread, pastries).

DRINKS: Red/White wine are both nice. I never tried the rose so cannot comment. They have sparkling wine which is like prosecco so I had this most - really nice and unusual to have on an all inclusive! Vodka is actually quite nice too as I don't normally like local spirits but this was fine. Quite strong so be careful. Coke is not the greatest but then not going to be coca cola is it.

GUESTS: There were mainly Russians at the hotel and some Germans but not a lot of British. I expected it but never the less find it hard to get used to their ignorance and lack of manners. The staff at the restaurant were lovely so found it hard to hear them clicking their fingers for service or grunting at them when their wine glass was empty, pfft! British seem to have a whiet all inclusive band whilst they had a mint green and white one. Not sure if this was for staff to be able to identify us but I never asked.

POOL: Yes it is cold but this is what you want when you are boiling hot! Once you get in it's quite nice but then this was July so probably will not be the same when early/late season. Helena Park has quite a nice one which is fringed by some trees for shade on one side. Plenty of beds / parasols but you do need to be down for 8am to reserve some. The Sands is bigger but so is the number of rooms at their hotel and their pool goes into the shade late afternoon where as the Helena Park is all day.

BEACH: There is an allocated part of the beach for the hotel but we never went. The beach itself is not very wide so if you want to stoll along the beach front to dip your feet in the water it's very crowded as too narrow for more then 4 people!

NIGHTLIFE: The hotel is located at the far end of the resort which is far enough away from the "main" part but not too far to walk to. As soon as you exit the gates onto the beach front you walk down tot he main part and there are bars, restaurants and shops all the way down. I'd say it takes about 30min stroll to get to "The Street" which is where the main night life is. It wasn't overly busy which I liked and I never seen many drunked youngsters around and we were out till 4am. Jack sells Kopperberg and was the only place I found that did :-)

KIDS: There were plenty of amusements, bungees for kids and even a fun fair. The sea had the usual bannana boats, jet skis, ringos and they also have this massive inflatable centre which I imagine kids could spend all day on (teens I'd say) as quite far out in the sea.

SHOPS: Usual fake clothes shops but some of the clothing is really nice and looks just like the real thing. You are stopped by the usual people wanting you into their bar/restaurant but not pushy at all.

OVERALL: We'll defo be back and I would recommend this to anyone as plenty for all ages.

Room Tip: WIFI is not great at the hotel if you are expecting this. Seems to be stronger at the reception are...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank HUGHSEY30
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We've just come back from an amazing two weeks at this resort. Our room was lovely and big, chambermaids came everyday, but if you don't fancy being woken @ 9am remember to put your 'Do not disturb' sign on your door. The safe and beach towels were free. There was always a good selection of food in the restaurant and our waiter Aleksander was so helpful, he couldn't do enough for us. We soon made friends with the lovely lady in the bar who made us great cocktails while we were sat by the pool. We mostly opted to eat in the snack bar at lunch where the chefs were preparing pizza on demand using their stone backed oven. A walk around the grounds was always required after lunch we enjoyed walking down by the stream and watching the fish, frogs and small snakes!! The location of the hotel is perfect as a lot of hotels are right on the seafront and so their pools are in public view of everyone, ours was set back a bit in the grounds (only about 1 minute walk) but we still had the lovely sea breeze. We took a sea taxi across to Nesebar, that is a must, the place is lovely. Reception staff were very attentive and gave out 1.5 litres of water as required. To be honest I can't find fault. We loved it so much we've already booked to go back next year. It did help as well that we flew from Bristol so had excellent flight times. But all in all just superb!!

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Sally C
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Just returned from a 2 week stay here. Absolutely fantastic. Being the cheaper hotel of the two in the Helena complex, I was apprehensive of the quality prior to my stay. Upon arrival, my fears were soon put to rest. This hotel is splendid, smart and spotlessly clean. Yes, the Helena Sands is superior but you only get what you pay for. The staff are all very helpful and friendly, in particular the animation team who provided fantastic slapstick comedy. There was a huge selection of food, soups, salads, roasts and a large selection of continental cuisine. There must have been at least 30 different foods to choose from nightly. Even my fussy child managed to enjoy the food.

All the drink falls under the all inclusive banner, including cocktails. Spirits are local brands but thats okay. There is a poolside pizzeria open daily from 11am which cooks pizza in a woodchip oven. The smells are glorious and the pizza is tasty. People are refused from dining if wearing unsuitable clothing ie trunks or vests but longer shorts are okay. Absolutely loved our stay here and wood highly recommend. Would definitely return.

1  Thank Michele F
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed in the Helena Park for 10 days end of |July early August. It was the first time my Husband and I had been on holiday without the Children for almost 20 years. We have been all around the world and have been to some glorious hotels and after reading the rave reviews for this hotel we decided upon the Helena Park. We decided on Bulgaria as it was one of the few places we had not been. Must admit watching the TV programme before going away nearly put us off but the fact the Hotel is well away from the busy strip encouraged us to go. We had a lovely time but I do think some of the reviews on here are fairly misleading and this is why I feel I need to write mine. Perhaps our standards are high but I do not feel this hotel is of a 4 star rating.

The transfer was not a good start I found the coach driver extremely rude and my first impression of Bulgaria was set with a grunt which I didn't take kindly to at 3 am after a long journey. The coach driver then dropped off the wrong cases at one hotel so the poor man who's cases these were was not happy and nor were we as we sat there for ages waiting for it to be sorted, this was 4 am by now! Once we finally arrived the Hotel staff were nice enough and we got to our room very efficiently. We had paid for a superior room. This gave us a pool and slight sea view and was slightly larger than some of the other rooms I believe but to us it was no larger than average and not superior but the air conditioning was very efficient and the cleanliness was was faultless.

The food well we usually come home after eating at an all inclusive a few pound heavier but this time came home the same and that was only due to the alcohol consumption. Everything tastes of DILL!! I walked in the restaurant some days and the smell just turned my stomach. My Husband and I are quite fussy eaters and did find something most days but nearly everything was fried and the meat was undistinguishable. One night I just had a bit of turkey and mash (which is filled with butter) and a few veg but the veg was filled with dill yet again which then put me off. The soups are very good which I ended up living off but the desserts are all the same and there isn't much choice. Breakfasts are fairly good if you like bacon, eggs etc, the scrambled egg is sloppy and tastes burnt. Lunch is either in the pool restaurant or the main restaurant. Pizza, chips and some meat I didn't recognise every day in the pool restaurant. The pizza boy makes them all day but they are bland. One day the pizza boy was sitting at the small poolside bar having his break. I noticed a tattoo on his arm which I found highly offensive and should be covered up. My Husband is covered in tattoos but this one read "Money over b.........s" seriously and when he saw me looking with disgust he just laughed. The poolside bar staff are very miserable too. The restaurant staff worked hard. Our lad who remembered our drinks every night was efficient and friendly. The restaurant has carpet in some areas and needs a good vaxing.

The entertainment was a bit of a let down too. The staff work very hard bless them and if you like volley ball and getting up and making a bit of a fool of yourself then its fine. We were expecting some good shows in the evening but they were poor. They did us a favour though as we walked the strip most nights and found some nice bars and great bargains. Unless you walk all the way to flower street which is were most of the young ones are it isn't too loud. My husband and I did go to flower street one night to see and ended up clubbing till 4am! I must say it was one of the best nights i've ever had. There was no trouble and the young ones were fine.

I personally wouldn't bother going all inclusive again to Sunny Beach as it is so cheap. I found that the Helena Sands Hotel which is far superior to the Park Resort is Bed and Breakfast and the facilities are so much better. We felt like the poor cousins next door in the Helena Park and even though we thought we could use their facilities we could only use the indoor pool and gym. As we went out most nights along the strip we paid for our drinks which were so much better and they are so cheap and eating out is too.

The beach is really close by and there is a reserved area for Helena Resort holiday makers but the beach bar is not all inclusive so it is unbearable once your water has run out.

We went on a couple of excursions making the most of our child free time. The quads were really good. We went into the Bulgarian Mountains and the view was fantastic. We also did the catamaran trip which was amazing. Depending on the time of year but we saw dolphins swimming all around us and jumping out of the sea for what seemed forever, something I will never forget. I few people found this trip disappointing as they ended up at the back of the boat and didn't see much. My word of advice is once you get off the bus move quickly and try to get to the front, we did so easily and ended up at the very front of the boat on the nets. These only hold 6 people on each (36 in total) and we had 60 on the boat so don't hang about and you will have a wonderful experience.

All in all we came home feeling as if we had had a nice holiday but would not go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view if possible as the road the other side is quite busy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Justine W
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The park hotel is excellent except for the pool. You have to get up well early to bag a bed in the sun during the day and if you try to use the sands pool some big geezer tells you you've signed a contract? not to use their pool. the food and staff are top notch. The location ok unless your room faces the main road and it's dirt cheap out and about. will we go back NO, sunny beach at night is for the kids and not for those of us on the wrong side of 40, but for a good cheap holiday i would recommend.
Fat Cats on the strip is well worth a visit and if you go say hello to alex, they sell good guinness and strongbow.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andycobbler
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Have just returned from a two week stay from Helena resort and it was absolutely fantastic. All of the staff from cleaners to hotel management were always happy to help you and always with a smile. The hotel is spotlessly clean and is in a wonderful location. It's at the quiet end of Sunny Beach. This is a super family hotel and there is various nightly entertainment which is suitable for the whole family. We stayed all inclusive and there are plenty of bars and endless teas and coffee available without ever having to queue. The Pizzeria is open all day for snacks of Pizza, Kebabs and salads etc. Cakes appear every afternoon and there is a huge selection of food available at breakfast, lunch and evening meal times. Good choice of English foods and plenty of other cuisines to choose from. Nightly was always one from either roast turkey, beef, leg of lamb leg of pork or racks of ribs all served with pots and veg.The waiters always remember your drinks order and are always offering refills. All rooms are quiet, we occupied 4 rooms at various points, the internet worked in some but not all. The rooms are cleaned daily and are spacious and spotless. We took towels but didn't use them, plenty available from hotel.The beach is 20mtrs from gate of hotel complex and well away from noise of the the strip. The strip rns for several miles and it's full of shops and stalls selling all goods at good prices. Would definitely love to go back and without doubt choose this hotel, it was faultless and would like to say big thank you to all of the staff there who made it such a wonderful stay. Thank you all.

Room Tip: All rooms have nice views but some rooms have trouble picking up wifi. If you are staying in large g...
4  Thank Mia E