“BULGARIA HELL”

Ranked #9 of 220 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Paisley, United Kingdom
“BULGARIA HELL”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Just back from the holiday from hell where to begin 27th.Sept 7 hour delay going out holiday company said it would be a bit quieter that was a total understatement it was total lock down shops and hotels boarded up only 1 bar open in the whole street all excursions finished no cash machines open but hotel will give you money and charge £18 per.transaction. The hotel was clean rooms were cold we ran shower to heat the room. Staff were rude and tip boxes all over the place. By wed. no kids meals and they had run out of eggs and tea bags for breakfast lol food was awful and cold and somethings were even out of date. Half the hotel was closed entertainment was dire only 1 computer in internet room lots of Germans don't mind that but they are really rude. Our rep had went home on the Monday she escapedand her stand in didn't want to hear complaints or talk to you. Never so many depressed and fed up guests on holiday. I don't think a whole plane load of holiday makers can be wrong

Room Tip: ask for pool or sea view we did and had a great view of empty building that looked like building sit...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

my partner and i just returned from Tiara beach with friends.
The hotel was lovely,remember and ask to book a room with pool view ,it does cost extra as our balcony looked over an old closed down supermarket which spoilt it a bit.
All staff were nice in particular our room maid think her name was alice but couldnt make out because of langage barrier,she went out of her way to help us and get anything we needed.
Food was fine,you could always find something to eat ,albeit a bit cold,hence microwave available to reheat.
There were were few british folk in hotel but it was mainly german guests who are not the politest of people.quite rude in fact,no manners.
Entertainment team tried their best and they always had plenty of enthusiasm
If you do go on a trip go to khans tent,it is great night out with food.drink,well worth the money.
I dont think we will be returning to Bulgaria again as most locals are quite rude and be quite pushy at times and intimidating.The odd few few were great ,we went to bar on the beach front and the owner chris could not have been nicer,we asked for some crisps and he got on his bike and away to get us some crisps from the shops, and when we left the bar he got us a taxi and took us up to the road to get it as we hadnt a clue where we were..
Dont go mid september as everything shuts down for the winter and our last 3 days it poured of rain so not a lot to do.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank linda751
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Been in sunny beach Bulgaria at the tiara beach hotel for 2 weeks, well where do I start, I was told by the holiday company I booked it with it will still be hot even though it will be near the end of season it's 9 degrees celcus and freezing, everywhere around the resort is closed boarded up for the winter, the hotel is clean but it's full of very rude Germans the staff don't care and are rude the food is awfull and cold there's a microwave to heat up the food I've even found butter out of date by a month, there's nothing to do here and I will never come back here again and I've got a electric heater I'm my room, we've talked to a lot of other guests here and were all fed up, if u deside to come to Bulgaria I suggest u have a long look at reviews first

1 Thank Scottywolves
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

Total lack of service, the resort is closed, the hotel not equipped for the change of weather. The food in the hotel is inedible, pre packaged food is over one week out of date !! All hot drinks from vending machines hardly 4 star!!

1 Thank CHMT
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Just got back from Tiara Beach in Germany oops - I mean Bulgaria and all I can say is I am glad to be home.

I note this hotel is no longer part of the Iberostar chain - I wonder why?

First impressions of this hotel were good. The room and communal areas were spotless. There was ample coffee machines and drink machines that vend lager, wine or soft drinks. The rooms were cleaned to a high standard and towels were freely available. So there are the good points.

Well the bad points are quite lengthy but I will make it brief:
Don't expect a good nights sleep or to be able to have a lie in - It just does not happen!
The dining room can be chaotic, if you leave your table unattended to fetch more food / drink it is likely you will have lost it!
The food there was definitely not aimed at the few British guests unless you want to live off cold chips and pizza.
The food in the 'Bulgarian Pub' which is available for 'afternoon snacks' should be avoided - it is very likely that it is cooked / prepared to a high standard but the prepared food is left where it can be located by flies / wasps with no effort made to cover it.
Water in the outdoor and indoor pools is freezing cold.
The mini aqua park was only open for a couple of hours a day the first week and not open at all on the second week.
The Bulgarian Pub closed around 5pm leaving the only place to get a drink being the lobby bar which is certainly not adequate to deal with all the guests.I realise that this is coming to the end of the season but so what? - The facilities were advertised, have been paid for by guests and should therefore have been available!
Expect to wait a very long time to get served at the lounge bar unless you are: 1. German. 2. Female or 3. Known for leaving tips.
Men are expected to wear trousers at dinner time - lucky I took a pair! Remind me again what being on holiday means?
There are signs at the pool stating the reserving of sun loungers before 10am is not allowed - but despite being there before that time we always saw the same towels on the most popular beds - later occupied by the same German guests.
Be prepared to be plagued by wasps / flies if you take food / drink to the poolside as they are very plentiful.
As stated previously - the bar is not a very hospitable place to enjoy a drink and a chat - but if you have any thoughts about taking a drink back to your room for a nice quiet drink on the balcony you do so at your own risk - there are signs stating anyone taking drinks from the bar will be fined!! The same apples if you try taking any food to your room!
There are 'keep off the grass signs' located on all the grassed areas's, this you could accept if it was not for the fact that the outdoor entertainment area had a huge grassed area in front of it - erm remind me again where you sit to watch entertainment?
For the most part of our holiday the weather was good and the entertainment was outdoors. However when the weather changed and the venue was moved indoors it was moved to an area where there simply was not enough room for everyone to sit.
Don't try sleeping before 1am if the entertainment is indoors as again - you won't!
Whilst on the theme of entertainment, I think one word sums it up - Dire!
The gents toilets in the lobby are also used by female cleaners as a smoking area.
The room was spotless but there were a few issues, unless you are a heavy sleeper you won't! - if someone above you flushes the toilet the noise of water etc. being flushed away is exceptionally loud in the rooms below. We took a phone charger away with us but could not get it to work as the sockets in the room were loose and the electrical connection was lost - we spoke to other guests and they had similar problems.
Guests arrive throughout the night with coaches coming and going at all hours, this you can understand. What is hard to understand is the noise that this creates between 1am and 4am when most normal people would attempt to be a little quiet!
The hotel was quite full during our stay - I reckon around 95% of which was German guests. I have been to Germany and found them very friendly. I am not sure what happened here as they were the most rudest of people I have ever met in my life. They do not understand the concept of queues or of holding doors open for people but expect the same courtesy to be shown to them!
The hotel is clearly geared for these guests and if you are British don't expect a warm reception!
No British tv channels available and the German ones have very poor reception.
We paid for internet access in the internet room and had to wait for a computer as there were only x 2 set up (the rest being piled in the corner of the room), one of these was being used by a guests who had not paid to use the room, we waited for him to finish his conversation on the German Facebook page!
The hotel is located near to the beach - Sunny Beach is about 20 mins walk away to the left and Nessebar is a long way away to the right. If you do decide to walk towards Nessebar be warned - about 2 mins walk along the beach is an area that is used by nude sunbathers. I or my female partner did not have a problem with this, we thought it quite amusing, but I could imagine this could be a problem if you take young children onto the beach who are not used to big bellies and little erm..... modesty.
There was not a massive collection of worthwhile trips but if you do fancy doing one I would suggest you step outside the hotel and walk about 5 mins into the small town - there you will save around 25% off the prices that Thomas Cook charge for the same trips.

All in all they say that a holiday is an experience. I agree.

This holiday however is an experience I would not wish to endure again.
These are not just my and my partners views - we spoke to several other British guests who felt exactly the same!
Will I go to this hotel again - Never
Will I go to Bulgaria again - Very Unlikely.
Will I travel with Thomas Cook again - Only when Santa Clauss does 2 x deliveries a year!

Room Tip: Ensure your room is at the top facing the pool if you want to sleep during your stay.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fisherlord
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I returned from this hotel yesterday 30th September. My mum, sister and I wanted a nice relaxing holiday so choose here as we got a good price for a weeks all inclusive. I did read the reviews before hand but went with a open mind knowing people had put the food wasnt the best.

When we arrived the reception staff checked us in and took our luggage to our room and were polite and courteous.

The room was lovely, very spacious and spotlessly clean. The shower was powerful and there was always constant hot water.

The pool areas are really nice and it was great to get a sunbed without getting up ridiculously early but the water in all the pools were incredibly cold.

The hotel is full of other nationailities the majority of which are polite but some of the german guests were very very rude!

The hotel food was in abundance and varied most days, the only issue we found was that the hot food was only served luke warm. British people aren't catered for other than the odd chips or pizza but we went to Bulgaria to sample their traditional food so this wasn't a problem for us. We did however struggle with their tea and coffee. The tea was served with warm water and the coffee was like sludge, however we soon found that there was a jar of nescafe decaf available and made our own using the hot milk in the drinks machine! If you want a good cup of Tetley tea go to Jack's bar in Sunny Beach town.

There was plenty of alcoholic drinks and cocktails available on the a/l inclusive package but they were really strong and the lager was drinkable.

What can I say about the entertainment team, they did try their hardest to accommodate everyone! They are constantly coming round the pool asking if you want to join in with the activities, we did join in a couple of times and had fun. The evening entertainment was lets say interesting!!!!

We had a couple of issues with a broken toilet seat which is promptly fixed and lack of toilet rolls again promptly sorted out by the reception.

The train that takes you down to the centre of Sunny Beach is great value at 3levs each and is regular throught the day until midnight.

Sunny Beach centre itself is great for picking up any gifts etc and the garden bar doesn't great sirloin steaks.

The beach close to the hotel is clean and the sea is perfect for children, there were lifeguards on duty all day from 8am - 8pm.

Once thing I loved about Bulgaria is that there are no lucky lucky men on the beach or people offering massages every two minutes, even walking down the street you didn't get hassled to come into anyone's bar, restaurant or shop.

The only thing that really let us down was the weather, three days of sunshine followed by four days of moody skies, wind and rain!!!!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and the resort to families. Don't let the few rude people and warm food put you off, Bulgarian people are welcoming and friendly.

Room Tip: We stayed in 234 which overlooked the front of the hotel, very quiet and large.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank mfdickinson
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Just come back from tiara beach, what can I say ? NEVER AGAIN, where do I start ? Food discussing, staff rude (except for cleaners), full to the brim with German guests, who clearly dislike the British & just think they can push in & don't know the word excuse me, l think we the brits are too polite & wait our turn much to the amusement of other nations,staff clearly favoured the Germans & we didn't get so much of a good morning until the day we came home (hoping for a tip. Food err, enough said. On the plus side, hotel absolutly beautiful & spotless, the room maids where really lovley & worked so hard and the location great, out of the way of the main strip & straight across from the beach. I've been to sunny beach a few times but never this late in the year, everything was closing up, that was't a big problem but everyone just tried to rip you off adding a couple of levs hear & there, I wouldnt't mind but we always leave a tip. I would go back, I do love sunny beach, but early in the year & back to laguna park.

5 Thank keliym