“Best hotel in Sunny beach” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barcelo Royal Beach

Barcelo Royal Beach
Ranked #13 of 219 Hotels in Sunny Beach
exeter
“Best hotel in Sunny beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

What a great hotel on arrival there were cold meat and cheeses with bottled water in our room as our plane was delayed we arrived early hours of that morning.
A quick check in passports held overnight - the room is large and very comfortable - huge bed - free safe - free pool towels - we had been upgraded to a pool view with a basket of fruit as it was my birthday during our stay a nice touch I thought.
We were all inclusive the food was excellent with a wide choice something for every-body - the staff are great - what I did like the best was not having to wear those plastic coloured wrist bands you are given a card to show instead.
Sunny beach is very cheap to buy food and drinks so I would not go all inclusive again although I could not fault the hotel food, best rooms 2nd floor pool view with pagola on a large patio best room 203

Room Tip: 2nd floor pool view with pagola on a large patio
7 Thank champagneladyExeter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

The Barceló Royal Beach is a very well managed hotel, we could not have asked for more attentive, courteous and friendly staff. The room, facilities and food were excellent. Sunny Beach has lots of fine soft sand and an idyllic curved bay. Be prepared for the security regime at Bourgas Airport. After being asked to remove jackets, watches and to empty pockets, I saw from the slow queue, passengers being body searched in a constant line. I was gruffly told to lift my arms and was searched absolutely all over, twice. I was told to remove the pouch from inside my shirt that was hung from my neck, which I use for my passport and main cash which was handed to a second security officer and searched. I was also told to remove my money wallet from my back trouser pocket which was also searched. I have been body searched once before during my travels and fully support the need to do so for all our safety, but I won’t be subjecting myself to Bourgas Airport security again.

Room Tip: Our allocated 7th floor D bock room at the front of the hotel proved to be quite good as we enjoyed...
3 Thank Geoff R
Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

The Hotel itself was lovely, apart from the reception staff whom were rather "cool" in their approach, the pool was freezing, colder than the sea!!! despite the weather being wonderful!
The big problem we had was a severe case(s) of Gastroenteritis, and apart from myself so did most of the people we met at the hotel over the two weeks we were there!
My husband ended up at the local clinic for treatment, and has just recovered 2 weeks after returning home, and having lost nearly 2 stone! The Hotel was kind in that they sent a lovely complimentry basket of fruit, and I don't blame them for the problem as much as those dirty people who don't wash their hands after using the loo, or just run one hand under water, and I saw a lot of that sort of behaviour. Mandatory Hand gel should be used before entering the dining room, this would certainly help the stop this sort of infection, it really beggers belief that people do not wash their hands with the well provided soap and hot water.

3 Thank KentWillow
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

Just got back from the Sunny Beach resort on Saturday the 1st October 2011 after a weeks stay at The Barcelo Royal Beach Hotel.This was our first visit to the country of Bulgaria.Without a doubt the Best hotel we have ever stayed at.We have always stayed in 4 star hotels before ie. Salou ( Spain),Marmaris (Turkey) etc.We decided that we would treat ourselves to a 5 star for a change to see if there was really a difference.I have read many a review on trip advisor on people who say that many of the 5 star hotels are really 4 star,but the Barcelo certainly is not one of these.On arrival the front of the complex is stunning and has a security guard at the front door on hand 24 hrs.The reception and foyer will take your breath away.Getting our room and instructions from the reception was simple and it took no time at all. We were staying half board and had a double room with a huge double bed.The room had everything you would need from a safe(free),a fridge (free)(unless you have it stocked up as a mini bar),a flat screen tv with 50 odd channels,ok there was only 4-6 that were English speaking but not bad really.An enclosed shower and a bath with shower attached,a hair dryer (free),Plenty of cupboards to store all your clothes etc.The balcony has real wooden chairs and table,3 speed aircon which cuts out the minute you open the balcony door but restarted as soon as you close door.The towels get changed daily and if you want new bed sheets just take them off the bed and leave on the floor for the maid.Any problems within your room the reception will get you attended to within half an hour.The room was front facing .Our preference would have been a pool view but we had the fortune of getting the sun all day from 8 am to 7 pm and I am sure if we had asked for a change we would have got one if there was a room available.The staff at reception are very professional as are the restaurant staff who will help you in any way you ask.A very special thank you goes to NIKOLAY VASILEV the Restaurant Manager.A very helpful man indeed.He went about his work with ease and had his staff do there jobs perfectly and also had time to chat with the guests.The food at this hotel is excellent and the many and varied choices were endless.There was something here for everyones palate.At least 12 hot main choices every evening.Ok you always have the moaning people who can not help themselves and have to go on and on to anyone who is willing to listen about there gripes.The woman in particular who I nicknamed Delia as in Delia Smith who seemed to do this to everyone. She seemed to have only one set of clothes ( a pink jacket and white frock with red flowers and a red flower facinator in her hair)(If you read this you will know who you are and who I am).She met her match with me I am afraid,she started moaning to me about the Cream of Garlic Soup about how thin it was.I am a chef and have been for 38 yrs and have forgotten more about food that she will ever know.She was firmly and bluntly put in her place and told that the cultures of other countries tend to do there catering in different ways and if it wasn"t to her taste WHY THE BLOODY HELL DID SHE FINISH IT.Suffice to say she and her poor excuse for a man (also in pink and white garb)with no back bone didn"t bother us again.These people really need to stay at home (ENGLAND)and leave genuine holiday makers alone.I must say that the only mini gripe I had was the temparture of the hot food,it was only warm but I found out this is the Bulgarian way and if you required it heating up they were only to happy to do so.Also Breakfast was wide and varied, from cereals to hot English style was available everyday.Sunny Beach is probably the main resort of the Black Sea and has all the usual shops with all the nicknacks for sale and many restaurants.Night life is varied also and caters for everyone from live bands to karaoki.If you want to see the real Bulgaria I suggest taking the Blue Mountain excursion.Pick up at 7 am and returned at 6pm.When you arrive at the Mountain I really recommend the chairlift down which takes 10-15mins.The view down to the city of Sliven is amazing.Also a night out at khan"s Tent is a must.Pick up at 8pm and returned at 12pm.The entertainment show will blow you away.Watch out for the free local drink you get along with the free bottle of wine each, it will blow your head off.Also a day out at Nessebar is a must but take the local bus number 1 it cost 1 lev one way and dont fall for the taxis as they charge 5 time the price,the journey only takes 5- 10 mins and the ancient rock village has many things to see and if you get peckish look out for Uncle George"s you cant miss him he is the Man on the side street with the chef"s hat on.The food here is excellent and good value. Only down side to our holiday wass the prices at the airport on the way home,they are double if not 3 times the price that you have been accustomed to paying at Sunny Beach.Once again many thanks to the Barcelo Royal for making our holiday in the sun the most relaxing time ever.

13 Thank GraemeWallace
Aylesford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

Sadly our holiday at this hotel was totally ruined due to it not being disabled friendly. It is promoted as such: but disabled access to the pool was non existant: to get to it we had to take the lift down to the spa, go through the spa area into the indoor pool where my husband had the uneviable task of lifting me and my wheel chair over the sliding door lip (about an inch and half high). If I needed to use the washroom my poor husband had to take me back into the hotel and to our room as the downstairs disabled washroom was too small for wheelchair access and the lavotary so low no wheelchair user would be able to use it getting to it was difficult in itself: we had to travel to the reception floor and go round to the other side of the buffet restaurant and take the lift down to the lower floor to reach it.

The only disabled washroom on the same floor as the buffet, al carte restaurants and bar was in the mens washroom! Through our entire weeks stay (it was supposed to be two weeks but we left after one, due to the rotten time we were having) my husband had to take me back to our room to use the bathroom.

As for going outside of the hotel: forget it! the pavement kerbs are about 8 inches high with no drop down kerbs anywhere so my husband had to push my wheelchair along the road! when going along the tourist strip between the hotels and beach, it is no exaggeration to say I felt like I was sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle; I have a very good quality wheelchair which is adapted to go over bumps without causing me, the wheelchair user, any discomfort, however, after ten minutes we returned to the hotel as the pitted road surface left me feeling very sick.

We liased with the guest liason manager who was sympathetic but didn't really offer any solutions to my predicament. After five days we'd had enough and paid for a standby flight back home, we were both so disappointed and will never visit Bulgaria again which is a shame.

On the positive side though: the rooms were excellent, very spacious with doors on all rooms large enough for wheel chair access and a good bathroom with a large separate shower unit as well as a large bath; the food was very good quality.

The evening entertainent was a bit hit and miss: the male piano player of the singing duo was excellent at playing but not a good singer neither was his female singing partner. The young singer/piano player was excellent with a very good repotoire and his english when singing also very good. The bar and restaurant staff were very friendly as was one of the security guards who tried to assist us, but the reception staff could be rather stand offish and did not always understand english very well, the reception did however, speak good english.

This hotel would suit able bodied people and children and has a range of good services such as three outdoor pools which boasts two lifeguards and one indoor pool, a very good pool side bar and restaurant and a well equipped gym, the spa offered comprehensive treatments to suit anyone. But, if disabled: avoid this hotel like the plague!

Room Tip: Not disabled friendly.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Christabelle176
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

Have been here 4 days.This is an exceptionally well run hotel maybe because the general manager spends a lot of time on the ground and is very approachable.The F and B service manager Mr Milko and his assistant Mr Ivalo seen to live here and run co excellent team of serving staff particularly Miroslavo in the buffet and Stoyno in the al a carte which is a credit to the hotel.We would come back here in a flash.We thank all at the hotel for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2011
5 Thank paddys
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Loved the hotel-staff at the restaurant and bar best,but staff at Reception dissapointing.
Lovely hotel,lovely room.Will be there next year again.XX

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family