“Hotel from HELL”

Ranked #102 of 111 Hotels in Golden Sands
Wrexham
“Hotel from HELL”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2008

Believe all that you read about this hotel. It's food at breakfast is awful, the staff at reception just cannot be bothered and the pool was like something out of a horror film. Green slime growing around, paving slabs broken and just left. We were there a week and didn't see any one bother to tidy up around the pool area at all. People did sit out on the sun loungers because it was still quite hot but no-one dared enter the pool. The sliding doors as you enter the hotel didn't work so you had to manually open them each time. The bar in the lobby had no beer two nights running and it was only after I made the 'manager' sit down one morning and read the reviews on Trip Advisor that he said he would try and do something. I totally blame Thomas Cook who we booked with for not checking the standards at this hotel and I have duly written to complain to them. If they continue to send guests out to this hotel with the state it is in then of course they are not going to spend any money maintaining or improving it. This is the sort of hotel that if you had booked it direct over the Internet you would only have yourself to blame but when you have booked through a Agent who repeatedly told me not to take any notice of the reviews I had read on the Internet because they would not use this hotel if it was below standard. I am waiting their reply which I understand takes up to a month. Go to Bulgaria, even go to Golden Sands, there are some nice places there but just do not go to Dana Palace.

• Liked — Leaving it on the last day
  • Disliked — The green slime in and around the pool
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PamWrexham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2008

After reading all of the reviews on this hotel i was a little sceptical of spending two weeks there. We arrived early on the Monday morning and were greeted by two recieption staff, both of which were very friendly and helpfull and easily checked us in for our stay. Hotel was very clean and well kept. Our room was on the fourth floor, this was easily reached by the lifts. Lovely room, double bed was made of two single beds pushed together which was perfect for us. Beds were clean and tidy, room was clean and the bathroom was spotless. Again on reading some reviews i was a little worried but it was fine.

We had the option of Breakfast each morning, the spread was mainly catering for the continental although we did take advantage of the pastries and the coffee. Very rarely ate breakfast in the hotel, not due to lack of choice but due to us not choosing to.

Pool area was well kept, pool was freezing which offered a relief to the very hot weather. Numerous lougngers and unmrellas which were readily available.

Hotel was well situated, possbily not for those that dont like to tackle a few steps on the way down to the sea, quite steep on the way back up to but apart from that it was centrally located.

Overall we had a very good saty and i would defiantly reccomend this hotel. We would go again.

• Liked — Location and Friendliness of Staff
  • Disliked — Breakfast !
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ClaireF1987
bellfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2008

we went to hotel riva park for our holiday we had checked up on it and it seemed ok but when we got there it was so bad we had to change hotels we consulted out hotel rep and she moved us within the day !!! we came to danna palace and we were amazed of how better quallity it was than riva (them both being 3 star) we were up on the 5th storey which was great the views were amazing. the staff were verry friendly and the maid let me in when i realized my brother had the key. some days you would come in and there would be swans made out off towels. the grub was not that good but it was the standered \as we stayed in 3 hotels though out our trip. the hotel does not deserve the horrible reviews written here i would class this as a 4 star only being let down by the grub and the walk to the beach.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank mrea008
Caernarfon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2008

I was truly dreading my stay after reading the other reviews. However it wasn't that bad. Ok, it wasn't great but it was clean and the staff were helpful. On the first night however the receptionist forgot to mention that you need the key to slot into a thing in the wall for light! We arrived around 3am so thought we'd survive without light until the next day. But it was easily sorted.

The pool was clean but as the week progressed it had turned green. They cleaned it by adding cleaning stuff to it rather than emptying or filtering it. Whilst adding water to the pool, every room in the hotel had to survive without the use of the sink and shower which was a pain as no one had told us.

The breakfast was awful but we hadnt planned on dining there for more than the first morning anyway. It consisted of smoked cheese, meat, pasta, salad (very eastern european). The cereal was some chocolate thing and the coffee machine was on the blink. So we had food in bars for the rest of the stay. There was so much choice anyway!
The worst thing in Golden Sands is the people that constantly hassle you to eat at their place!! And they remember you as well.

The Hotel room was clean, sheets and towels changed daily and it was a good size. The shower was powerful and warm and the balcony was a good size. The bar was nice too but entertainment was needed. It gets quite boring at night unless you want to go clubbing. However, for the price I paid i can't argue too much.

I had a good relaxing holiday. I'd recommend the jeep safari. Its a fantastic day out and you get to see the 'real' Bulgaria away from the commercialism. We went on a forrest fiesta as well, a night of entertainment and food with an open bar!!!

The resort wasnt that cheap to be honest- ecpect to pay between £2-£2.50 for a pint. However, catch a 20 min bus to Varna (avoid taxi drivers they hassle you all the time) and prices are half of that on the resort. We had 2 starters, 2 meals and a beer/wine for the equivelant of around £12. That was at the Happy bar and grill. Non-smokers beware. EVERYONE smokes in Bulgaria including in restaurants so try to sit outside.

• Liked — It was cheap
  • Disliked — The breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Golden Sands hotels

newcastle upon tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2008

went to bulgaria august 2006, and i have to say i have just read some of these reviews some people have said, i have to disagree. i thought that it was a lovely place, the people were very friendly me and my boyfriend made some very nice friends and joe and angel were very nice to, they have a laugh and were drinking with us. i didnt try the food at the hotel so i cant comment on that but it was cheap enough to go out to eat. me and my boyfriend are looking to go back there hopefully some time this year with our little boy. overall i really enjoyed it.

• Liked — the locals and other touriste really freindly
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephie21
birmingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2007

My husband and Iarrived at the hotel on 13th September 2007 along with two of our friends, who had never been abroad before, from the outside the hotel didnt look too bad, but when we got to our rooms we felt quite differently, the balcony doors were unable to be locked properly, these could only be secured by a little chain. After we had been there for 5 days, I asked how often the bed linen should be changed, and got a reply of twice a week but ours had not been changed in all the time so when we complained we got sheets left on our bed to be changed ourselves. Also the food was awful, no variety and it was barely warm. Quite a few of the sun loungers around the pool we broken and split and unable to be used, and when we found a decent one to use and sat around the pool we were invaded by wasps, neither my husband of myself has seen that amount of wasps abroad before we were sure there was a nest of them somewhere.There are a lot of other things that I could tell you about but I am afraid of running out of space I would deffinately NOT be returning to that hotel at all.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank mine123
e. yorkshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2007

I have been to Bulgaria 4 times, and stayed in 3 star hotels every time. The Dana Palace is definately not a 3 star!
The place was clean from the outside and looked a nice hotel.
We went to our room on the 5th floor (have a 9 month old and a buggy). The lift was only just large enough to put myself and the buggy in and creaked! When the lift doors opened on the fifth floor you were greeted with a damp smell. The hall carpets were horrendous! I moved rooms to the first floor. Same again, kept tripping over the hall carpets. Arrived in the room to find bare wires sticking out of the ceiling, patio door was cracked and couldnt be locked, both beds had smashed lats and the mattresses were so thin you could feel every spring! Bathroom was mouldy. The travel cot we were supplied with had a great rip down one end and my baby kept escaping! Had to keep asking for clean towels and toilet roll!
The food was horrible! Hardly any choice at all!
By the end of the week the swimming pool was green. (filter had broken!) and every single lounger was broken.
This is definately the worst hotel I have stayed in in Bulgaria. I love the country and the people and will continue to go every year, but NOT to this hotel!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business