INTERNATIONAL Hotel Casino & Tower Suites
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sunny Varshava Hotel(Golden Sands)
View Hotel
Grifid Hotel Arabella(Golden Sands)
  • Breakfast included
Nympha Hotel(Golden Sands)
View Hotel
Morsko Oko Beach(Golden Sands)
Iglika Apartments(Golden Sands)
View Hotel
Hotel Riu Astoria(Golden Sands)
Tintyava Hotel(Golden Sands)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Gladiola Star(Golden Sands)
  • Beachfront
Slavei Hotel(Golden Sands)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsinfinity poolno porkexecutive loungegreat casinosea viewexcellent hotelhotel stuffhigh levelfive star hotelpay attentiontasty foodmodern hotelfree drinksspent a weekgolden sands areaspa centergreat vacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This hotel supposed to be the best hotel at black sea coastline in Bulgaria. It is really is, because there are no good hotels in the sea cost of Bulgaria -- in the kingdom of the blind the one eyed is a king.

I start my communication with the hotel after I booked and prepaid online the room. I e-mailed them in order to book a transfer from Varna airport. I never received from them any reply until the day before arrival asking me if I still need the transfer. That seemed to me as a lack of customer service. Anyhow I came to the hotel using the taxi at the airport. Taxi drivers in Varna are extreme fraudsters! Most of them even have a counterfeit “fixed rates list” with prices being stated in EUR instead of local currency BGN (1 EUR = 2 BGN). Mine driver asked me to pay 40 EUR for the ride, however I paid only 40 BGN since I was aware about the regular prices.
Lobby area looked stylish with lots of wooden panels and stone. However it wasn’t welcoming. Superior sea view room at the Tower Suites had balcony and was spacious. Bathroom was small and messy with a shower only: while having a shower you got water everywhere (floor, walls, towels, bathrobes). Moreover there was no hand shower and the ceiling showerhead was broken. I had to call maintenance to fix that.

Bedding was disastrous. The bed sheet was of the wrong size and didn’t cover the mattress on the sides. For the double room they provided a blanket of the size smaller than the mattress! I had to ask for additional blanket since it was impossible to sleep for 2 people under such a small blanket. The linen quality was far from 5 star hotel quality! The cleanness of the room was also far from 5 star standard. I am not the person to look under the bed in search of the dirt, but I moved the small bedside table to put notebook on it. And I found 1 hair slide, 2 hairpins, chips wrapping behind it. Disgusting!

A night in the room was horrifying because of the really loud music from the bars and cheap eateries downstairs. Although the room was at the 10th floor and I slept with earplugs I felt the music through vibrations of the building. I believe the mountain view room would be a better option for light sleepers.

Wi-Fi worked well, but every time you block your phone you have to enter the login/password again in order to get Internet. Disturbing! Breakfast the next day was terrifying! There were monstrous buffet with lots and lots of choices. But these dishes were not healthy and bland. Especially I was frightened by already baked croissants that were baked again in the tray with fat. One more disastrous dish was baked flat sausages (see the photo attached to this review). The healthy option could be a Bulgarian sheep cheese, tomatoes and bell peppers. All of these were very good. No coffee maker – you have to ask a waiter for coffee, and wait quite a lot since the breakfast room so huge and that is not easy to serve every guest.

What I liked the most was SPA area and treatments. Hammam was very effective, indoor pool was more than nice, SPA day for him treatment program was a healthy retreat for me. However after the treatments they asked what I want for a drink. I asked for black tea and they brought coca-cola with ice. Again and again the lack of staff professionalism and commitment.
Another good point was an outdoor pool with a nice bar with reasonable priced menu. The pool had infinity edge and looked good if you lie down at the sun bed. If you stand up you see the roof of building that block the sea view. Plastic palms were a bit embarrassing for me to see at 5 star hotel.

In general I do not advise individual travellers to come to Golden Sands. Nothing to see overcrowded place with doubtful beach pleasures such as cheap looking (but not cheap) bars and stalls. So much better beach is in Varna: it is packed with trendy bars, less people, and better beach. And better hotels and restaurants.

Room Tip: Beware of loud music from creepy bars downstairs, even at 10th floor you hear vibrations. Back view room could be a good option.
7  Thank Usenko
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This hotel has excellent facilities but its service are really poor and you do not really feel convenience and there is no really entrainment except the Casino which is not my "favorite" hobby that's if go by yourself you shortly will be boring there. The hotel lack a space which people can friendly with and to get contact with. I mean that the atmosphere in this hotel is dark and there is always guards that watching who get inside the hotel.
First,when I went out from the bus with a group to Check-In I went to the reception and there I received an unpleasant welcome. Most of the people from the group disappeared except few that were waiting nearby the reception. I was helpless without knowing what to do and I was waiting long minutes, hungry and tired (because Bulgarian Air flight was delayed) until someone from the group that told me that they booked separately from the group and the other from the group went to the second floor. In the second floor was sitting one from the reception who didn't really care that I'm very hungry and the dinner time almost finished. He asked to fill a paper with my details and after he released me to eat dinner I found that I left there some of my documents because I was already dizzy.
During the meal time I found not once that the waiters there do not care if you need something such as coffee or something else to drink and I needed to stand up from my chair and ask them to serve me and to suggest me a drink, napkins or salt and pepper...
And when they were doing so they didn't do that with politeness and smile.
Be aware that if you want to invite a guest to the hotel you will be charged 30 leva. It is the other way of the hotel to pump from you money except the Casino.
Concerning the check out, I was 5 minutes late for the transportation to the airport which I already pay for. I was late because I was vomit in in the WC in my room after I drunk the night before. Although it might be the responsibility of the head of my group to look for me it is also I think the duty of the reception to call to my room to find out if I'm there. The bus left and I needed to pay additional 45 leva for a taxi and this was after bargaining with the driver. I think the hotel care for the Varna's taxi drivers livelihood more it cares for its guest.
In summary, the hotel has good facilities but you will need to find some of them by yourself. It is better you will ask the reception first what the hotel can afford you except the casino.
The hotel is very reachable to the main outdoors activities ,the beach, to supermarkets which are really cheap and I recommend on them warmly.
If you have no better choice you can book this hotel otherwise you can skip it to another one.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank idole2013
Reviewed 14 September 2013

an outstaning hotel, and one which I cant praise highly enough. all staff members are extremely well trained, helpful and polite,the rooms are of a very high standard with every luxury provided.All in all the best hotel in golden sands

Room Tip: we stayed in one of the superior park rooms and we really were impressed
4  Thank lalWales
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We returned yesterday from Varna. We ordered half-board at the International Hotel. We got a wonderful large room. Rich and varied meals. Very good service. Bed changed every day. You can eat at the casino pay 2 Euros and into the main dining room. The pool stunning beauty with the Black Sea view. I warmly recommend this hotel to take with both hands. Disclosure - We had soundproofed room but I heard from others who had a room that was not sealed and there also heard the music outside. So just ask what you need really and what bothers you
I have spent 7 nights there and will return.

Room Tip: ask a room in the new building
6  Thank lori p
Reviewed 10 September 2013

The hotel is meticulously planned for maximum comfort. We stayed in the Tower Suites overlooking a park so we weren't disturbed by the noise of the celebrations on the beach front. The room was large and so was the bathroom. We also had a balcony. Excellent meals with large variety of choices for every taste. The staff of the hotel and in the casino was friendly, helpful and kind. Requests were answered immediately. Being elderly, we didn't spend hours on the beach or at the lovely pool. We went on day trips to various places which we found very interesting. The city of Varna and the whole area have a fascinating history. Opposite the hotel is the promenade - just cross the road and you're in the middle of all the excitement.

Room Tip: Tower Suites were lovely. Our criticism was that there was no way of preventing the floor getting wet while showering either in the bath or in the shower cubicle. There should be a door or shower curtains. The rooms facing the park are quieter.