“Helpful staff”
Review of Detelina Hotel

Detelina Hotel
Ranked #86 of 111 Hotels in Golden Sands
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We got to this hotel by mistake, at about midnight in august 2012 and we stayed there 2 nights. The receptionist (Jessy) and all the staff were very helpful.
Hotel looks ok, it's clean has a very nice garden and parking. Swimming pool is nice, but they have too less sunchairs/umbrellas for such a big hotel.
The only minus of the rooms was that the shower had no cabin(it's just the water tap on a wall) and everytime we showered, water was all over the bathroom. Wireless Internet connection is working only in the hotel lobby
You can have there all inclusive holiday, but we took only bed and breakfast and it was a good choice. Food was very bad at breakfast.
Location is close to the beach (5 min walking). On the way you can find some good terraces where you can hae good food for lunch/dinner- even at 1 am:)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank EVSH

Reviewed 17 July 2012

I recently returned form my summer holliday from Hotel Detelina on 16

th of July, 2012

The hotel looked pretty good, but there were manny shortcommings:
- towels weren`t changed at all
- beddings were not changed at all
- cleaning services were despicable
- we had ants in our room
- the freezer had food remainings from other tourists

We enterd the room, and saw that the airconditioning remote control

was missing, so we asked for one, and they refused to give it to us.
We finnaly got tthe remotecontroll, after a lot of persistance, and

arguing.
Our last day was terrifing, we had no water at the toilet and

showers. The bathroom was awful, the swover was leaking and the water

flowed into the room.
The food was verry bad, we had few variaties, at a all inclusive

hotel. Potatoes falkes were made with water.
I don not reccomend this hotel to anyone. The hotel is at 5 minutes

from the beach, and 3 KM form Golden Sannds. Chaika in more a village

than a resort.

Room Tip: I do not recommend this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nella20032002
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We arrived at this hotel at the very end of May and we were the only guests for 2 days! We were attending a friends wedding in St Constantine and booking this hotel on a package deal for a week was our cheapest option. It was three stars and only £84 for 1 weeks accommodation and so I was very worried about what it would be like. It has a lovely pool and pretty landscaped areas, it is very clean and exceeded our expectations for a 3 star hotel. We don't really do package deals but opted for breakfast only, unfortunately for us this was a let down and we ended up getting bread and jam from the shop for breakfast. I think because we were the only guests they were not really fully catering yet but after day 3 lots of people arrived making the hotel more lively! I always do a huge amount of research about an area before I go on holiday and I knew this hotel was not near Golden Sands but on the next beach along. This hotel is in Chayka (chaika) which is much quieter and although you are not right next to the beach you really are not that far away, 8 minutes walk if you are very, very slow.

The staff were friendly enough but were not used to English speaking guests but if you spent time talking to them they were amicable. The hotel has a taxi service and it costs 20 lev to Varna and 12 lev to Golden Sands which is an 'interesting' experience (like a Blackpool/Vegas bonanza). Varna city is also an interesting city to tour around (try free Varna tours).

Everything is so cheap in Bulgaria (if you have £'s to spend) and that includes the rooms mini bar. Its the first time I have actually taken anything out of a hotel mini bar!

You will notice a difference between the prices in Chayka beach and Golden Sands (GS much more expensive!). the bar at the hotel is well stocked and I particularly like the Nescafe Frappes to have mid morning by the pool. Each room has a balcony which will probably have a swallows nest in it ( harmless and very pretty to watch while sipping your wine on the balcony!). The hotel has a money changer which was very convenient but there is a cash machine just down the road that seemed to work for me.

Our room was cleaned everyday which from previous reviews I was surprised at. To sum it all up I would say this hotel offered me more than I was expecting for the money I paid. Its not a luxury hotel but its clean and comfortable. Enjoy your stay if you go and feel free to message me with any questions.

Will leave other reviews about worth while restaurants nearby to go to.

Room Tip: Get a high floor facing the sea.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MakanNow
Reviewed 17 April 2012

It was the first time I have traveled also with my parents, besides my husband, and unfortunately it was a big disappointment. I have chosen this hotel and, though the reviews were not bad, I hated every minute of the week we have spent there.
We stayed at the first floor in a dirty room with stains all over the place, on carpets, walls and armchairs.
There were bugs and ants in the room, and you couldn’t leave anything out of the fridge.
The cleaning lady was like non existent. We had some food on our terrace (fallen from the upper floors) for the last 3 days. In one of the pictures I attached, the cleaning lady just left our room when I took the photo. She arranged a bit the beds and that’s it.
The bathrooms have only a shower curtain to separate from the rest of the room but nothing else, like o bath tub or something on the floor, so the water from the shower was in all over the bathroom.

The food was awful. Minced meat at every meal, in various forms: sausages, meatballs, hamburgers… the chicken looked moldy, impossible to eat; and this was all the meat in the buffet. Tasteless rice at every meal; some tomatoes or cucumbers, sliced two days before with a sour taste and some jelly as dessert. We had a hard time finding something to eat and we are not picky eaters.

The location of the hotel is in the middle of nowhere. There are like 500 m to the sea, and the problem is that when returning from the beach, you have to walk up hill back to the hotel. In the area there is nothing to do/visit. The only choice for some entertainment is in Golden Sands, which is a few kilometers away.

Also the staff is very rude, not ever smiling or trying to be of service.

So, all in all, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Alexa_ro
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My boyfriend & I stayed here for a weeks all inclusive in August 2011
Was approx 45 mins transfer from Varna airport to hotel, checked in quickly, room was on 4th floor with good sea & pool view (there are rooms on the other side of hotel with view of mountain & roads) rooms were clean & spacious, bathroom was clean and a wet room rather than an enclosed shower but was fine
Rooms were cleaned every day & towels were changed once a week
Worse thing about this stay was the food, breakfast was dissapointing, funny tasting sausage, dry bread, but were butter & jams if you toasted it, which also took ages as only 1 toaster to taost 4 slices, add a hotel full off people and its a long wait to get toast. any fruits or salads that were out for breakfast/lunch/dinner tasted of nothing. there was cheese & ham at breakfast but not for lunch
lunch & dinner was stews (even in 30oC heat) which was ALWAYS barely warm!
Drinks were local beers, wines & spirits which were fine, was free access to hot drinks/soft drinks/wine/water/juices (which were tastless) only thing you had to queue for was beer/spirits but service was quick
There are local super markets/small takeaways near hotel down the hill, along with the beach which was very nice. and restuarants at the bottom of the hill (10mins walk)
Pool was clean and filters were cleaned twice a day by the life guard, who was there from 8am-5pm
Overall - hotel was clean but food was poor, probably wouldnt stay again. We didnt venture much out of the local walking area as we went to relax for the week so unable to comment on transportation in the area
There is free wifi on ground floor & 1st floor so take laptop / they do rent them out there
There is free access to a gym by the pool and theres a money exchange shop on site

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Clare499476
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Tidy hotel, nice garden with green lawn and shelters. Clean pool with children section.
Our room was in 7th floor and no noise from other rooms. Nice sized rooms and okay bathroom. There's only a soap from the hotel and it's small, so bring your own soaps and shampoos.

We had breakfast and for us it was big dissapointment. No fresh orange juice or any other. Undercooked non-salty scrambled eggs and bad sausages. Some kind of bulgarian pastry that wasn't good. Water melon. One type of cerial and müsli. Toast. Only thing we ate were water melon and cookies and we are not picky eaters.

The location of the hotel is not the best you could wish for. There's about 400 m to the beach, which is not very far away, but you have to walk up hill when climing back to the hotel. There are restaurants and mini markets down the street nearby, so you find food and beverages easily and the prices are cheaper than the in Golden Sands resort.

The biggest dissapointment was the staff. They don't know anything about anything. We arrived 10:30 pm on the first night and asked about shops or restaurants that could be open. They didn't know are there any nearby (there's even 1 minimarket open 24/7).

We asked about the bus stops and they could tell us where they are or how much bus cost. There are bus stops to Golden Sands and Varna, but about 400 m from the hotel.

I had looked from the google maps before arriving that there's also a road next to the sea to Golden Sands (bus drives longer route). I asked more information from the hotel reception that can we access the golden sands from there. They said that you can reach the resort only with bus. Anyhow, we tried the road and walked to the Golden Sands... it's about 2 km walk.

The website of the hotel promises shuttle to the beach, there's no such a thing, or the concierge service.

Any information you wanna know, google it before hand. One good thing is that there's free wifi in the lobby so if you bring laptop or some kind of device with internet you can do research there too. Luckyly we had iPod with us and were able to google everything we needed to know.

We ate pizza in the hotel restaurant and that was good, but with few toppings. Bar tender were disaster! We ordered drinks, and were unable to make them, literally, he looked how to make them from a book! And still mine tasted sprite only.

I wouln't stay there again, but if you've already booked a holiday it's okay hotel, if you don't mind about the staff and not very good location.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Cadhlan
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I went to Detelina Hotel this summer, with my boyfriend and some other friends for a week. I must admit that I was a little nervous about this hotel, being a 3 -star one, and the conditions and food there, seeing mostly bad reviews on the internet .
Much to my surprise the hotel was extremely clean, the staff very friendly and helpfull, and the food...great. We had a half board basis, both breakfast and dinner were buffet, and we were all satisfied with it. The dishes were various, every evening the menu changed. Though not all of them were on our taste, anybody could find something to enjoy- from traditional dishes, to salads, fruits, different types of meat, for dessert- fruits.
The hotel has a very big garden, with outdoor bars, near the pool. As for the swimming pool... I never thought I would end up going to the seaside and staying at the pool after all. The sea was quite dirty, with lot of weeds in it...and the water was too deep for me (I mean that after swimming 2 meters I couldn't touch the bottom).. so we preferred the hotel's pool, which was very clean and the water quite warm.
I would recommend this hotel mostly to families in want of peace, calm and to all the others that want to relax, far from the crowd, from the noise.
I stayed in a triple room, which was very large, with a big bathroom and shower, AC, hair- dryer. Another couple stayed in a double room, with sea- view, but the room was much smaller, and the bathroom...so small !!
If you want to have fun you have to go to Golden Sands, 5 km away..where you can find whatever you want...traditional, international restaurants, pubs, bars, discos, karaoke and so on. The taxi is 7 levas one way, and the bus ticket is 2 levas/ person/ 1 way.
What impressed me was the fact that these people really know how to sell their merchandise. Every restaurant had people in the street in order to promote it, making discounts, presenting their offers, menus, giving you free drinks. At a certain point this became a little exhausting...
As for the rates...I found all things quite cheap... the hotel, the food, the parking places.
If you go there by car, you can also visit Varna (10 km away) which is a very nice city, with a beautiful center.
Also, don't miss Nessebar Island (2 hours by car to the South)- it really worth all the way!
All in all, our holiday here was great and I' ll probably return next year too.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Joya Park Complex
Joya Park Complex
#28 of 51 in Varna
Paradise Green Park Hotel & Apartments
Paradise Green Park Hotel & Apar...
#25 of 111 in Golden Sands

Been to Detelina Hotel? Share your experiences!