“good place to stay if you have little money”
Review of Guest Lodge Minot

Guest Lodge Minot
Guest Lodge Minot
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Minot
Minot, North Dakota
“good place to stay if you have little money”
Reviewed 17 March 2011

although the other things that people wrote on here are true i would recommended this place if you have little money. i had no troubles with the staff they all seemed very nice and it is a clean enough place for me to stay for now. they are not like most hotels but pretty close to it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank laceyjane0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I'm sitting in this hotel as I write this review, so my impressions are fresh. First, I'll say the rooms seem to be clean enough. There is some dark staining around the edges in the bathroom - probably not so unusual since it seems the place has not been updated since the '70's. Beyond being somewhat clean, however, I cannot compliment this place. Here are my issues:

1. Upon check in, the rate was different from what I was told over the phone when making the reservation. The explanation was that the rooms have a base-rate, and then there is a charge of $5.00 for each extra person (backed up by a sign posted behind the front desk). I had told the person on the phone how many people would be staying, and was not quoted the extra-person fee as part of the rate. In my opinion, it is simply dishonest.
2. There has not been a single staff person, including the front-desk worker, whom I would classify as friendly.
3. We have stayed in 4 hotels (all in oil-boom towns, incidentally) on this trip, and this has been the worst of them, yet oddly, the highest priced. Way too much money for this.
4. Even though the walls are cinder-block, I can hear everything - other rooms' showers, toilets, televisions, coughing fits, footsteps, and conversations.
5. Wi-fi connection is not secure.
6. While the room (2 queen beds) is supposed to accommodate 4 people, there are only enough towels for 2.
7. The hotel uses old fashioned metal keys, and apparently, they are wearing out. I had a hard time getting into the room, and my husband was locked outside for a long time in below zero temps because he couldn't make the outside key turn in the lock.
8. The beds are way too soft and have some kind of crinkly plastic cover on them. Not comfy.
9. In the bathrooms, the shower soap/shampoo and hand soap are in public restroom style dispensers. No doubt, it saves the place money, but it doesn't feel very sanitary to me. Also, my kids can't reach the one for hands by the sink; it is mounted too high. I would think this could be a problem for folks with physical challenges as well.
10. Finally, while the room is reasonably clean, the condition of it leaves a lot to be desired. One of the bedspreads is torn, the heater is very loud and rattly, the curtains are faded and crooked, the lampshades are old and yellowed. Even though I can't find any dirt to speak of, this room makes me feel like I need a shower - just not here.

Bottom line, we will not stay here again, and I can't recommend it to anyone else. We booked the rooms here after calling nearly everywhere else in Minot and discovering they were all sold out. It's true, the room rate is probably due largely to the fact that this is an oil boom town, and they have business practically falling in their laps. I just wish they would do a little more to deserve that business.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank McMom17

Travellers are raving about these Minot hotels

West Columbia, Texas
Reviewed 21 January 2011

They clean everyday, the beds (two queens in every room) are comfortable, the bathroom is sufficient, the TV is okay (not new) but doesn't include HBO, the Wifi is intermittent. The walls are cinder block and there are at least 150 rooms, with two beds, so there is a lot of traffic for the wifi. The biggest complaint though may be that they do no aggressively plow the snow, but I have always had a place to park and all but once a place to plug-in. The non-smoking and quiet policies are adequately enforced. It is a non-smoking hotel. Each room has a very small table, a long side table/work desk, two chairs, a small but tallish desk drawer and a hotel typical hanging rack. A continental breakfast is available at a sister hotel (the Vegas) but it is not good enough for me to bother stopping for much. Like all hotels/motels in Minot for the foreseeable future, most guests are like me, contract workers servicing the booming oil industry, wind industry, call center industry and construction crews to build expanding housing here. The $60 / night (recently raised from 50) is the cheapest hotel/motel/extended stay rate available.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business