“Worth the trip from Bismarck”
Review of Baan Rao

Baan Rao
Ranked #28 of 130 Restaurants in Minot
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We visitied Sept 2013. The service was friendly and good for this part of the country. The food came out fast. Dumplings for appetizers were good and I liked the fish cakes too. Had the panang curry 'medium' and the drunken noodles 'hot', but these levels seem to be pretty toned down in keeping with the rest of the midwest. The thai tea was tasty. No beer/wine but asked and can bring your own at their discretion. Decor is fine, seems cleanly, reminds me of authentic restaurants in bigger cities. There is an eliptical machine in the dining room.... kind of strange, but hey, you can't get Thai or Indian in Bismarck.

There are newer reviews for Baan Rao

Reviewed 11 August 2013

The food was good. It seems as if they think that white folk such as myself have tender taste buds. When I asked for spicy, I expected spicy. It wasn't spicy, but it was satisfying, nonetheless. The dumplings were good, albeit somewhat greasy. The cucumber salad I ordered as a side was fresh.

The atmosphere is quiet, and there are few people dining at one time. That makes for a difficult time to chat as your voice seems really loud. This is just a minor complaint as the rest of the place is colorful and interestingly decorated.

I'd return here again for some Thai food. You should, too.

Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

This was our first time eating at Baan Rao. We went without expectations and having heard nothing about the place. We were greeted promptly upon arriving and seated immediately. Our waiter was smiling, pleasant and very knowledgeable about the menu. My wife and I ordered the spring rolls (delicious) and two entrees which we shared. The portions are generous and the value is good. I highly recommend sharing entrees so you can mix up your flavors and variety. Everything was fresh, hot and served promptly. We enjoyed our entire experience and will definitely be back. Unless you are an expert on Thai cuisine I would suggest ordering on the recommendations of the service staff. We did and we were very pleased.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We had low expectations about the ambiance, given other reviews, but we thought it very pleasant (perhaps they have redecorated?). Service was very good and friendly, and the food was excellent - suitable for those who are new to Thai food, since they make it without a lot of chili but still with plenty of flavor. Yellow curry, chicken satay and pad thai proved to be perfect for initiating family members who were not keen on a spicy meal. Everyone left happy!

Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Baan Rao promises authentic Thai. If you are new, get Thai tea, spring rolls, and the cashew chicken. Atmosphere is clean, but lacking ambiance, the food will make up for it though.

Been to Baan Rao? Share your experiences!