“A Non-Happy Mother's/Birthday Day!!”

Sakura Japanese Steak House
Ranked #16 of 129 Restaurants in Minot
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Minot, North Dakota
“A Non-Happy Mother's/Birthday Day!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

A Non-Happy Mother's/Birthday Day!
We had reservations for a party of 10 at the hibachi table and got sat on time. We received our drinks and ordered our hibachi. The group across from us finished their food and a new party was seated before our chef arrived. We ended up waiting 30 minutes, entertaining our 3 young children, before for the chef to show up at the grill and prepare our food. Shortly after our sushi arrived. Our portion sizes were totally off! The chef was heard commenting “not enough.” The gentleman next to me received ¼ the portion size of chicken that I did when he ordered the 8oz chicken and I had the 4oz. My noodles were the most pathetic amount of noodles! I asked my server if I could have more since the meat I received was 3x the amount of noodles I got. After a huge confrontation, I was given more noodles, on the house.
It also happened to by my Birthday and my son’s just a few days apart. They advertise a free meal with 4 additional meals within 30 days of your birthday. (Sunday – Thursday). When we received our ticket, no credit was given. Our server and another server argued in front of use over whether or not we should get a free meal. We ended up with one $25 gift card and that was only for my meal…nothing for my son’s. We believe the reason that the server did not want to give the free meal is because all parties over 5 automatically have 18% gratuity added to their check…my server didn’t want to give up his $5 tip!! This was not the first time we have been to Sakura, but after we use the gift card, it will be our last!!!
A very unhappy mother and birthday girl!!

• Visited May 2014

“Pricey but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

This Japanese restaurant is very expensive but the food is good. We sat at a hibachi table and watched the chef give us a show while he cooked it. It was fun, but for me, the entertainment ends with the novelty of it. Once you have seen it, it becomes just very expensive food with a gimmick. I would definitely recommend it once and then any more times when you don't mind spending a small fortune.

• Visited January 2014
Surrey
“Excellent Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

We sat at one of the Teppanyaki tables. I'll admit it was a little cheesy as far as entertainment goes, but the food was awesome.

Visited January 2014
“To be repetitive, Meh...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

This place is a good thing for Minot. A little something extra for a special occasion or just a Friday night. We went for a birthday. Good food! Everything was well seasoned & cooked beautifully. However, the service was quick & cold. It was what do you want and here ya go. The chef doing our show was the same way. Just wanted to get on to the next table. It's was strange to longingly stare at the next table having more fun than us. I did get extra saki & wine. so there that. The whole encounter was like an awkward one night stand. Along with my fellow reviewer Odelbr, It was all MEH.

• Visited March 2014
“Meh...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

If you're looking for dinner and a show, this is the place. If you're looking for great customer service and reasonable prices, go elsewhere. Every time we've gone with large groups and made reservations nearly a week ahead of time, we're seated AT LEAST 45 minutes past our reservation time. The most recent visit we had, I didn't even get my first drink until we were halfway done with our meal! No offer of discount, nothing. They said that it's because the bartender was working alone and they were very busy... so then why was everyone else at my table on their second and third drinks before I got my first? My husband and I had the same exact meal- except he ordered "sides" and I had the actual entree. My bill was $55, and his was $18!! IF you choose to eat here, order off of the sides menu, and come for lunch, not dinner. Over rated and over priced.

• Visited March 2014

Been to Sakura Japanese Steak House? Share your experiences!