“Disastrous night in Minot”

Holiday Inn Express Minot South
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Minot
Regina, Canada
“Disastrous night in Minot”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Although we have stayed a number of times previously at this hotel and been perfectly satisfied, this last occasion was a disaster.

We has originally booked with Expedia to stay that night at the Holiday Inn Express in Bismarck. We experienced vehicle issues that made it impossible to use that reservation, so we phoned Expedia to change the reservation to the Holiday Inn Express in Minot South.

The lady at Expedia phoned the hotel in Bismarck to cancel the reservation, and confirmed that she had made a new reservation at the Holiday Inn Express Minot South. I received a confirmation email/revised itinerary to this effect from Expedia minutes after my phone conversation with them.

However, when I arrived at the Holiday Inn Express Minot South to book in to the hotel, I was told that I had no reservation. There were rooms available, but if I wanted one, I would have to pay for it (again, as I had already paid Expedia). Alternatively, I could phone Expedia, sort it out with them, and get Expedia to make the reservation.

I chose to phone Expedia. They had already sent me a confirmation for the reservation by email. I figured, how long could it take?

When I reached Expedia, they confirmed that, notwithstanding they had sent me an email confirming the reservation, there had been some problem (they were not clear as to what the problem was). They agreed to send a new reservation. They made a separate phone call the Holiday Inn Express Minot South to get the email address to which the reservation should be sent. They sent the reservation.

I waited at the front desk for the reservation to arrive. I waited some more. Expedia sent the reservation again. Expedia confirmed the email address with the Holiday Inn staff. It did not show up.

Finally, the Expedia person suggested faxing the reservation to the hotel. The Holiday Inn staff provided the Expedia staff with the fax number for the hotel. The fax failed twice before it finally arrived on the third attempt.

Please keep in mind that the Holiday Inn did not offer THEIR PHONE to resolve the difficulty with Expedia. They expected me to use MY CELL PHONE.

It took an hour and a half on the phone with Expedia before the fax finally arrived. As I am Canadian, and am charged a roaming rate of $1.45 a minute when making calls in the United States, the cost of the phone call to Expedia alone will be more than the cost of the room.

To top it off, when we got to the room, we could not log into the wifi with the standard method at the hotel. When we phone the front desk for alternatives, none of the alternatives we were give worked.

In the morning, we had some discussion with the front desk of the difficulties that we had experienced. We were given to understand that we would be sent a card that would discount our next stay at Holiday Inn, but to date it has not arrived.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LatinDude_13
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minot South, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear LatinDude_13,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate issues with a third part intermediary prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Colorado
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I am staying at this hotel and it is very nice and the breakfasts are wonderful! However; if you are traveling on business and need the internet beware! This is very dissapointing because it is such a nice hotel and it is close to dining and a large walmart. Please do not be affraid of this hotel but if you need the internet it is very substandard.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minot South, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Martin_from_Colorado,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased you found our room accommodations and staff commendable, I was sorry to hear the wi-fi did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of reviewing our wi-fi service in order to cope with the volume of users, such as when you stayed. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Always my first choice when in Minot. I stay here about 4 times a month. Staff are alway helpful and friendly. One of the better hotel breakfasts that is included in your stay. Bed is very comfortable. Prices are a lot more reasonable than they were charging last year which I appreciate.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

As a regular to the Holiday Inn Express chain I am disappointed to be writing this review. We drove 6 hours to our destination and couldn't wait for a soak in the hot tub and a good night sleep. We initially had rm 223 and the heater sounded like a jet engine accompanied by loud squealing. I call front desk and the lady could hear the heater during the call and offered to move us to a different room. We moved our stuff and called to find out the hours of the pool (until 11 they told us), so we left to go buy bathing suits and upon return after changing we headed down to the pool. The key card let us into the pool but the lights were off, so we went to the desk to ask for the light to be turned on. We were informed the pool was broken and that the maintenance man was supposed to fix it yesterday, but didn't show up. We went up to our new room (219) and the heater was loud, but nothing like the other room until we turned the heat up around midnight. It was an absolute disaster we had a very sleepless night. The front desk said it couldn't be fixed when we called around 3am to notify them this heater wasn't working. At 6:30 I proceeded downstairs where a man explained they had a 2 page list of rooms where the heaters weren't working properly that they hadn't gotten around to fixing yet!! We decided to cancel our remaining 2 nights and check out, but upon explaining our situation and that we felt it wasn't fair to be charged the manager (Jenna/Gemma?) didn't apologize or try to compensate up at all! I'm incredibly disappointed with the customer service we received. I understand things break, but to make us pay for a stay that was anything but relaxing is worse. At this point I'm not sure I'll book Holiday Inn again and I'll definitely be sharing the video I took from our room at 4am!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CherB84
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Minot South, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear CherB84,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. We understand that having a comfortable stay is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Regina, SK
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Our room was a king non-smoking, and it was very large. Lots of space, super comfortable and the bathroom made it even better. Huge bathroom, very clean.
HBO on the television, pool and fitness centre were well-maintained.

The morning's free continental breakfast was really great. Bacon, hard boiled eggs, a good selection of cereals and pastries, biscuits & gravy, fruit, juices, coffee, etc.
Very good value- we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank badness59
Regina
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We enjoyed a recent weekend away in Minot for some fun and shopping. This was our first visit to this hotel. We stayed for 2 nights. The rooms were comfortable, and clean. They did not come with a fridge or microwave. However suites do come with a fridge. They have a continental plus breakfast, it was good, although was missing some items I am used to with the Holiday Inns Express continental such as cinnamon buns and the yogurt was not replenished. The pool area is small but clean and well kept. It was a very convenient location, with shopping very close. The only real down side, are the paper thin walls. You can hear conversations pretty clearly, so you need to be mindful of the noise level. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the main floor, it was very convenient for loading and unloading. Pool was around the co...