“By far the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in!”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Minot
Cheyenne, Wyoming
“By far the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in!”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We travel A LOT for business and usually find one hotel to stay in if we are going to be in an area off and on for a while. We looked up hotels in the area and this came up as one of the BEST??? I totally disagree... its been by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Though the rooms are comfortable we had a suite and a regular room (workers that we brought) The first couple nights were ok, however Friday night rolled around and our room which was reserved got blocked for the school so they moved our guys out of their room to another, we were woke up 3 times that night waking our toddler up as well from kids running and screaming in the hallways down from our room.... they said they had security on the floor keeping an eye out, my guess is he put ear plugs in, then the next day their pool filled up with so many people that it was parents drinking at the tables while the kids used the hot tub as a toddler pool... hard to enjoy the amenities that we look for while we are traveling so we can enjoy a quiet evening in the hot tub after a long day of work.. couldn't even get in the hot tub with as many kids as they had stuffed in there... woke up 3 more times and finally I started yelling. This hotel could care less about its guests, its more worried about throwing parties and letting kids run around then the guest that pay for rooms. TERRIBLE! TERRIBLE! TERRIBLE! DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT SLEEP! I am not kidding. There is a Hampton across the street stay there or ANYWHERE else! A roach motel you stand a better chance of sleeping at then this place! I am rating two only cause there rooms are clean and comfortable... but don't worry about that you wont be able to use the bed at all for sleep so enjoy the day stay maybe????

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel would be better for sleep
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Joplin, MT
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband had to attend a meeting in Minot. The hotel hosting the meeting was booked so I went online to find a hotel that would not only be a nice place for us but would also take pets as we usually travel with our dogs. The Grand had mixed reviews but I decided to take a chance because we were only staying a couple nights. Once we got checked in we headed to door 4 where the front desk person told us would be the best door for us to use. The parking lot was very dark and packed so making our way through all the randomly parked cars we found door 4. Once inside we then had to find the elevator which was clear up next to the front lobby back up by the front desk. Then when we got to the first floor we headed back down the long hall around the corner to our room...not very convenient at all. Without our luggage and pet crates we could use the stairs but when we had to use the elevator back on the long trek we went. Our room was clean and definitely large so that was good and also had a refrigerator for my dog food! Our room faced the pool and although it was being used it was still pretty quiet and didnt bother us. We ate at the Primo restaurant for breakfast and dinner and our meals where good so that was nice. I would stay again, my husband was not happy to have to lug our luggage that far so I don't know if he would or not.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
GrandHotelMinot, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on your stay with us at the Grand! All feedback is welcomed. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our amenities of our property. My front desk joins me in my apology for not qualifying your needs and better directing you to an appropriate entrance. I do hope that both you and your husband do chose us the next time you're in the area.

Brandon, Canada
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I was a little leary to stay here based on some of the previous reviews, however I was looking for somewhere close to the airport. The front desk staff were a pleasure to deal with and the room was exceptionally clean. The free shuttle to the airport and long term parking are a huge plus. The restaurant service was the only reason I am not giving 5 stars. We will stay here again, probably won't eat there.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Guys Mills, Pennsylvania, Usa
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This hotel was recommended as one of the best in town. Room rate with taxes was $184. I stayed October 2-5. Room was large and it was clean.

The front desk staff left a lot to be desired. I inquired about the bus to the Hostfest and they didn't have much information and really didn't seem to want to help. I asked for a wake-up call and that never happened. On the last day I asked for a shuttle to the airport and was told to have a seat for about 15 minutes. The time went by and nothing happened so I inquired again and discovered they never let the driver know I needed a shuttle.

The shuttle drivers were one bright spot in the stay. Coming from the airport the driver told me a lot about the area and seemed to really enjoy his job. Going back to the airport the driver asked if I had a good time at Hostfest and told me more interesting things.

I ate in the bar two evenings and the food was good and the wait staff pleasant but not really friendly. I ate breakfast in the restaurant and the food was good and the wait staff there was very gracious and aimed to please.

Hostfest was fun. I enjoyed all the Scandinavian entertainment. Crafts for the most part were Scandinavian and not what you find at the typical festival. I am not Scandianavian but decided to enjoy the culture and eat Scandinavian foods. Lute Fisk is definately an acquired taste. Overall, the festival is wonderful.

It was too bad the hotel did not make you feel welcome.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback on your stay with us at the Grand! All feedback is welcomed. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Hostfest, our town is very proud of our annual festival. I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with our stay. I feel like your stay is not typical experience. We like our employees to go above and beyond for our guests. My staff joins me in our sincerest apologies that your were not satisfied. I would like you to give us another chance if you are attending the Hostfest in 2014 or if you are ever in the Minot area again. I can provide you with a voucher for a free night stay. If this is something you are interested in taking advantage of please contact info@grandhotelminot.com and provide us with your address. Be sure to include that you are a review from trip advisor.

Seattle
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Nothing too special. Room was clean, and TV small. Lots of plugins and small refridge.
A loud pool area filled with screaming kids on the weekends. These sometimes break away and run up and down hallways up until evening.
Restaurant has huge portions and again, food was okay. Waitresses nice and helpful. I ordered a large juice and it was huge.... I could not finish and I am a juice drinker. That was impressive.

Room Tip: Try to avoid weekends, lots of locals come in to party and use pool
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Brandon, Manitoba
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel while in Minot for a weekend. We have stayed before, and had a decent stay.
This time was a different story. Although the room was decent (outside of the small TV), the service was awful. When we arrived for check in, we waited at the desk for a couple of minutes before another staff member (housekeeping) yelled to the backroom to tell the front desk staff we were there. The front desk staff still took another couple of minutes to actually come out and help us. This wasn't an isolated incident either, I went down to get a paper and needed some change prior to check out and had to wait while the front desk staff changed their paper in the adding machine. There was no other guests at the front desk at the time, so not like she was doing it in a rush to help someone.
I called back to the hotel to talk to my wife on Saturday and was connected to the wrong room. When I called back I was placed on hold for 5 minutes before I finally just gave up. I tried again about 30 minutes later and was again placed on hold before finally getting through.
Price is also high, so this will more than likely be the last time I stay at the Grand International when I visit Minot. Way too many choices now to waste our money at this place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Minot hotels

Hollywood, Florida, United States
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I checked in to this hotel because it was supposedly the best in town. At over $150 per night, I expected some quality and service. About half of the rooms are "pool" facing, meaning that they face the swimming pool. During my multi-day stay, I noticed that EVERY DAY, seemingly ALL DAY, they rented out the pool for various parties for children. OK, I don't normally mind children. But it's now 10pm and I can still hear them screaming. It has been like this virtually all day. Due to the oil boom, many hotels are partially or fully booked, so that if you as a general traveler check in, you will likely be stuck with a pool-facing room.

I've been having severe allergies and used my kleenex box in the room. The laundry people don't replace it, leaving the low-budget black plastic box - supposedly containing a tissue box - empty on top of my sink ...

Someone wrote that they "didn't have to leave the hotel" for a "meal"… This is truly unfortunate, except for what must be the simplest of tastes.

The worst element of the "Grand Hotel" experience is the restaurant, Primo. Please don't patronize this restaurant, unless you want inflated prices, terribly rude service, and disgusting food. Unfortunately, I have been to this restaurant numerous times, since others in Minot seem to believe that, because it has tablecloths and an Italian theme, it must be good. With the oil boom, people are absolutely knocking down the doors of average places in town like Applebee's and the Olive Garden, which are indeed fabulous by comparison, and whose parking lots are overflowing with patrons. The International Inn is a convention spot, and could benefit by actually hosting a real restaurant. Far from the "night spot" it appears, even from the beginning, it is abrasive. One waits at the desk for a prolonged period for a table, even though there are many empty spots. No adult employees seem to be present. Eventually, a teenager will seat you and shove a glass of water in your face. I should have known that it would be a gruesome experience by the lack of clientele on a busy Saturday night in town. Sadly, I've had numerous entrees here including several pastas, fish, and steak. They are nearly unpalatable. Tonight was the piece de resistance! I had the Bruschetta appetizer, replete with dried, rock-hard sun-dried tomatoes on cheap untoasted bread with some melted cheese on top.

When I retired to the restroom for less than 5 minutes, my glasses (left on the table) were gone! Even though the waitress, Lorilee was around, I had to summon her to find out that - in my brief bathroom break - they had assumed I had run out on the tab and were going to clear my table, even though I had a full, unconsumed glass of wine and the entire disgusting Bruschetta dish! She retrieved my glasses from the front desk.

When I told Lorilee that the Bruschetta was disgusting, she did nothing except say "sorry". No offer to make it right. No offer to try another appetizer. No explanation of the bizarre glasses-confiscation and assumption that I had just run out on the bill!!

While paying at the front, the teenager-in-charge obviously cared nothing about my complaints, nor did she offer to contact her manager or take any further action. The food is disgusting! The service is rude!

My advice about this hotel: stay away unless you love screaming children and bad restaurants! The Holiday Inn Express is much better!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Loren B
GrandInternational, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback. All comments are always welcomed. We have spoken to the Primo staff that helped you that evening and they join me in my apologies for experience. We will take this experience as an opportunity to make improvements.

Again we offer our apologies that you were not pleased with our property. If you would like to discuss the matters further, please feel free to contact me directly.

701 852 3161