“Calling itself Grand does not make it so”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Minot
Reviewed 30 June 2014

First, let me say that the large group we were associated with offered sincere praise for the hotel and the staff's willingness to accommodate their planned needs as well as last minute changes required due to weather. On a personal level, we had previously met at this site a few years ago and had a nice and spacious suite . This year, our room was so humid--the hallways were worse and the smell of chlorine from the pool permeated the place. The air conditioner sounded like a generator running and when I tried opening the window instead, we were above an area where smokers congregate. We stayed four nights for a convention. Not so good. My husband slept wonderfully. I did not. It rained buckets and the roof in some common areas leaked. The view from our room was a cement wall .Fortunately, there was lighter open area with comfortable furniture at the end of the hallway.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
GrandHotelMinot, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us feedback on your stay. We welcome all feedback, as it helps us improve!
We offer many different room categories. Sounds like you originally stayed in a King suite, but may have stayed in a Standard Room this past stay. When booking your room you can always specify, although you may be looking at slightly different rates per the different room category that is selected. Our staff would be more than happy to elaborate on each room category to ensure you get exactly what you’re looking for during your next stay.
It is unfortunate effect of having a large pool indoors combined with a very humid weekend, full of rain. I personally assure you that we try our very best to keep the air conditioning running throughout the entire property to help us combat the humidity levels. But sometimes Mother Nature just isn't on our side! We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you during your stay.
Sincerely

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have stayed at this location on previous trips to Minot. It is conveniently located with easy access to the airport and other locations in downtown. It seems to me that the price is pretty steep for the services that are provided.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
GrandHotelMinot, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank your taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. We value all feedback. We are pleased that overall your happy with your stay. We also wanted to advise you that our rates have just been reduced. Please keep us in mind for you next trip. If there is anything we can do to make your stay Grand, please contact me directly.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Grand Hotel is a great place to stay. The hotel had an indoor pool that had plenty of seating for spectators as well as a restaurant. The restaurant was excellent, the service was good and it was nice to be able to eat a good meal and not have to leave the hotel. The hotel is close to a bowling alley, which was a nice option to do one day with our kids. We would definitely come back to the Grand Hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
GrandHotelMinot, Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

It is great to hear you had a first class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed 4 nights for a family wedding. We had a standard guest room with two beds, the room was a nice size and had a mini fridge and microwave. We overlooked the pool area which was nice, although it did get loud and there were people in the pool area late at night. The pool is large with a nice hot tub. It seems like this is the place in Minot for birthday and graduation parties, so in the afternoons the pool was crowded with these get togethers. We usually went swimming in the mornings and usually had the pool to ourselves. I would say that the restaurant is good, not great. We had breakfast included with our room and had the choice of about 4 items to choose from. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, don't get a room that faces the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
GrandHotelMinot, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

On the behalf of the Grand Hotel, we would like to thank you for the review of your stay. Thank you so much for sharing about your experience at our Property. I think you review will help other travelers looking to come to our Property. We hope you will come back and visit us soon! Please call me directly to help improve your stay next time you’re in Minot.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We had dinner on a Sunday night at the Grand Hotel. Hostess, waitress and food not worth a penny of the cost. The hostess was on the hotels phone because her cell phone had broke and was making a date with her boyfriend...and yes I know all this because she did not stop her personal business when we were standing there.
Waitress was unpleasant and seemed to be in a rush, there was 5 other tables in the restaurant so I know we were not holding her up to end the night. She seemed surprised that we wanted drinks before the dinner. Even more surprised and disappointed that we ordered dessert.
Food was mediocre at best. Pasta was dry, cream sauce on the pasta seemed to be at the end of its life span. Broiled shrimp had no flavor whatsoever and veggies way over cooked. Dessert was out of a box.
Highly disappointed by the overall experience for the price we paid. Will not go back to the Grand Hotel Restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GrandHotelMinot, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you for your comments concerning your experience at Primo. It is suggestions, such as yours, that give us direction to do a better job. My restaurant staff join me in offering our apology to you. I hope you will give us another opportunity to meet your expectations on our food and service.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

PROS:

Tempur Pedic style mattress
Mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker in room (I was in a suite)
Free wifi
Restaurant and lounge on site
Small sundry store
Biggest cable line up I've ever seen at a hotel
Good lighting
Plenty of outlets
Five minutes from the airport
Free shuttle to and from the airport

CONS:
Not the cleanest place in the world
HORRIBLE linens and pillows like rocks
Tiny flat screen televisions
Entire hotel smells like chlorine
Very humid throughout due to the pool
Hot tub was a sickly yellow-green when I was there
Room service menu has no prices listed whatsoever
Worn furniture in rooms
Strange view-room looked out onto another part of the building that was approximately ten feet away and the grounds between the building was basically mud and rocks
Only blackout curtains so it's either daylight and no privacy or curtains closed and no daylight

I would NEVER stay there again. Two of my industry colleagues were there and there rooms were worse than mine.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that actually has windows that you can see out of. There are some really funky rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
GrandHotelMinot, General Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Travel Mommy

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback of our property, as all feedback is always welcome.

I am so glad that you enjoyed some of the amenities that our property has to offer. We are sorry to hear that we did not reach all of your expectations. We would love for you to give us another chance in the future.

Again thank you,

Management

Reviewed 24 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a quick trip to Minot in November. Everything was beautiful and our stay couldn't have been better. The check-in was a breeze. The pool and hot tub were enjoyable. The only (slightly) negative I have is the fact that we stay two nights and paid almost $400. I know things are expensive here, but that was a little extreme. I would absolutely consider this property again if I could find a good deal. :) Good work!

Room Tip: Get a room higher up, the view over Minot is breathtaking.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kimberley M
GrandHotelMinot, Manager at Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a great review. We appreciate all feedback. Would you mind contacting our Marketing Director to discuss your room rate during your stay. Her name is Kelly. Kelly@grandhotelminot.com or 701.852.3161. Just mention that you left the tripadvsior review.

We would love for you to stay with us in the future, and want to be sure we are accommodating to your needs.

Sincerly,