The Gunton Arms
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Thorpe Market
See available hotels
Beechwood Hotel(North Walsham)
Sea Marge Hotel(Overstrand)
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
The Old Rectory(Framingham Pigot)
  • Pool
The Manor Hotel(Mundesley)
The Red Lion(Cromer)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsdeer parkopen fireelk roomvenisonthe pubmodern artroast potatoesresidents loungecrabwine listspecials boardyoung staffcooked to perfectionhunting lodgeart dealerchef cookingnorth norfolk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We had a two night stay and fell in love with the Gunton Arms. It is decorated to a very very high standard, a lot of thought has gone into the look and feel of the place. It has an adjoining bar and restaurant which serves superb food. The breakfasts were equally brilliant and use quality ingredients which are locally sourced.

I found the level of service generally good but upon arrival I had to search around the place for someone to help check us in. There is no obvious way to check or welcoming point but we did arrive on a bank holiday Monday and the place was fairly busy.

A nice touch is the guests lounge, which is a wonderfully relaxing private lounge. Again, decorated and curated beautifully and a great place to get some peace and quiet.

I would definitely recommend staying here - a bit more pricier but worth it. We really want to stay again

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank youandiaredominoes
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We too had a similar experience at the Gunton Arms. Having booked a table for lunch Saturday 230, we travelled from Oxford but got held up in holiday traffic. I rang ahead to let them know we might be slightly late. We arrived pretty much as the kitchen was due to close. However, the welcome could not have been more friendly, and we were seated and had the choice of the full menu. The staff seemed relaxed and not at all inconvenienced by our late arrival. As we all work in the industry, that is certainly not the case in most restaurants.
The setting really is fabulous and watching the deer grazing through the open doors was magical. I particularly liked the way the place looked. They really had got everything spot on, without looking as if trying too hard. I opted for the sirloin cooked on the fire, cooked perfectly, it was a slab of meaty heaven. My wife had the hake, again beautifully cooked, but couldn't resist helping herself to my pan roasted potatoes. The wine list is also very good. One of the best gastro pubs around in my opinion. Looking forward to visiting again in December with friends from London.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Ok I can see why some folks might not like this place; it has a certain louche laid back vibe. And looks a bit grubby and if I were picking fault I'd say they really need a greeter for arriving guests. But then it's a pub with rooms, not an hotel. That said, the fact remains that it's a one off in Norfolk. We stayed over after a lovely Sunday lunch, and couldn't really fault it. Left overs from the roast chicken were vac packed, and refrigerated. The rooms simple Arts and Craft decor, lovely bathrooms. Good prompt breakfast, friendly staff. I think I'd avoid it in high season, weekends especially.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Provincialwife
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Have just returned from a two night stay at the Gunton Arms and everything was perfect from our room with great views over the park and its deer to the food in the restaurant and overall service at the hotel.
On both nights we enjoyed great meals and the service was as good as any where we have eaten. Even when we did have a little wait for one of our the courses the waitress kept us informed that it would be shortly arriving.
The hotel and its rooms and outside space are stunning and our room was immaculate in every sense and the open spaces for guests have the whole place have a real welcoming feel about it.
Can see why the Guntom Arms gets rave reviews for its food, after all you have to remember it's a pub and the menu represents excellent value in my book with the cuisine fresh and inventive and delivered to a high standard.make.
Will certainly return to stay and eat again - a real gem which fully warrants the good reviews it regularly received based on our stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

It's refreshing to arrive at a Pub/restaurant 5 mins before end of service and be served as if they had just started. Great food but made better by bloody good service. Thanks to Emma I believe on the bar that day

• Stayed: September 2013