The Gunton Arms
Sea Marge Hotel(Overstrand)
US$307
  • Beachfront
Cromer Country Club by Diamond Resorts(Cromer)(Great Value!)
US$86
  • Pool
Beechwood Hotel(North Walsham)(Great Value!)
US$135
The Red Lion(Cromer)
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdeer parkopen fireelk roomvenisonthe pubmodern artroast potatoesresidents loungecrabwine listspecials boardyoung staffcooked to perfectionhunting lodgeart dealerchef cookingnorth norfolk
Reviewed 14 April 2014

What a wonderful place: situated in the corner of a deer park with no other houses in sight, takes you back in time. Sympathetically and tastefully restored but luxurious. Stayed in Parkin where the bed was undoubtedly the most comfortable I have ever slept in and the fixtures and fittings in the bathroom very special!. Dinner in the Elk room is a fantastic dining experience with meats cooked on the roaring fire and the wines we had were perfect. Brilliant atmosphere from the lively bar or quiet sitting room for residents only if preferred. Made to feel very welcome - like a guest in the owners house. No TV in the bedroom was great - however, did miss a cup of tea in the room (residents can help themselves to tea and coffee downstairs and take it up to their room). This experience is not cheap but certainly exclusive and totally relaxing.

Room Tip: Parkin was lovely, very comfortable and bathroom sumptuous!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LuckyOne1965
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Visiting for a mid-winter long weekend, as something to look forward, we left feeling all expectations had been superseded. Off-the-beaten track quirkiness, with timeless character and rustic charm that has been pulled together with artistic flair and an eclectic edge.

Wonderful food - difficult not to indulge or take interior design inspiration.
We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Room with the free standing bath.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EMSW6
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Having read reviews by Jay Rayner and others recently I was hoping for great things, but just got a nice pub meal. Booked a table via email for my boyfriends birthday and travelled down from Leeds.

We arrived for our table at 7pm and was shown straight to our table in the smaller dining room. The bar are as we walked through was heaving with people and the music very loud, some sort of function taking place in one of the rooms and children running around.

Dining room was dark and had no artwork on the walls (unlike the rest of the pub) so felt really oppressive. Staff constantly bustled back and forth through one door and out into the main dining room so it was also a bit like sitting in a corridor.

The staff themselves were nice enough, although our waiter had got several of the specials mixed up so lots of customers were looking confused at the prospect of suckling pig with trout.

Food is priced quite steeply for what is essentially just a small step up from your normal pub grub. Sides are only £2.50 each but the starters were quite steep for the portion size. Smoked sardines were tasty, and the lamb sweetbreads the highlight of the evening.

Mains were sole which was really fatty and doused in so much butter my partner looked nauseous. Suckling pig was decent, with some great hot pot potatoes. Overlooked broccoli and some nice minted peas. The steaks coming off the main fire looked good but I don't go out to eat something I could easily cook well at home.

Wine list was shortish but not badly priced, and the local beers very tasty. We sat at the bar for a couple after our meal, and enjoyed the buzz and some chat with the staff. Was left with a very confused image of the place; it's a serviceable pub with good food, but it's nothing that special and I can't understand why Rayner and others think it is. Very glad we didn't stay there as the room prices are comparable to those at real quality restaurants such as L'enclume, and this place is no L'Enclume.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mandyflyme2016
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Had a great weekend with friends, and the staff were fantastic. Drew, Lee, Simone, Stu, Rosie and many more whose names I forgot after a couple of bottles of Gigondas. Ivor plays a mean game of pool and took me on a tour of the artwork, which made up for my losing! Many thanks for an excellent weekend. Highly recommended.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Redjazone
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Visited the Gunton Arms from strong recommendations from various people but I have to say I don't think I'll go back. The building is in a stunning location so they are fortunate there but the interior design is very unique and not for everyone. In my opinion the food and drinks are overpriced for what was an alright meal, nothing to shout about and certainly not worth the £23 I paid for a steak! Staff all very friendly and warming though which is their saving grace really.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple