“IT'S COLD UP HERE!!!”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in High Level
Mechanicsburg
“IT'S COLD UP HERE!!!”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This was my first (and hopefully last) experience with 40 degree below zero weather.
OK, enough complaining.
The hotel itself is a real gem. The folks at the front desk were very polite end efficient, the rooms were spacious and clean, the beds were comfortable and the heat worked.
There doesn't seem to be much to do in High Level in December, at least nothing worth going outside for. So I was pretty much either at the hotel or at work for my entire week's stay. And here's where the hotel lost a few points although I don't think they can do much about it.
Start with the restaurant. The baby back ribs left a bit to be desired. They were dry and the hot barbecue sauce tasted a lot like Buffalo wing sauce. But I'm very picky on barbecue so this may be a bit harsh. The smoked brisket sandwich was excellent and did make up for the marginal ribs. For a real treat, try the linguini carbonara. Awesome. Anyway, the restaurant is top notch.
The TV and internet were a bit spotty with both signals dropping out occasionally and a few disconnects. This may have been due to the weather.
I wish the hotel could have supplied some humidifiers. Because of the cold, the air in my room was so dry that every time I walked across the carpet I developed enough of a static charge to "ZAP" as soon as I turned on a light or touched a water faucet or, worse, when I touched my computer. The "ZAPS" actually turned it off twice and I think fried the sound card. Oh, well.
Anyway, looks like I'll be back in High Level in the next month or two and the Best Western will be the place I'll be staying at.

Room Tip: if you travel in winter, ask for a first floor room. They all have outlets outside the doors for blo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
highlevelbw, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Mirage Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Reviewer,

We are glad to hear that you found our rooms very clean and comfortable and our staff very efficient. We are also pleased to know that you enjoyed your meals in our restaurant and lounge.

As much as we would like High Level not to be as cold as it is during winter unfortunately, there is nothing that we can do about it. :)

The internet issue that we had a couple months back has since been resolved and is now running seamlessly at optimum speeds.

Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Priddis, Canada
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This is a fabulous hotel, check in was fast and friendly, the rooms are very clean, and the food is exceptional. I appreciated the fast internet, and used the fitness room everyday after work. I tried to make it down to the pool but ended up spending most of my evening in the lounge enjoying a good meal and indulging in their was selection of import beers.

I spend a lot of time in remote towns and this property has made High Level my favorite.

Room Tip: Try the wings, they're gourmet!
Dear Steve,

Thank you for making us your favourite place to stay in High Level. We understand that being on the road so much can be hard at times. A very cozy bed and a sumptuous meal can make a world of difference to the weary traveler and that is why try and offer our guests the next best thing while they are away from home.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Great hotel, clean and awesome service.
If your heading to the gateway to the north, staying at the best western is an absolute no brainer. Stayed there on the weekend and went across the street to the stardust club which was a god time. Got the bottle service and me and my friends had a hoot. If I'm ever up north for meetings again that is the best spot to stay.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Cheers!

Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I had a great stay at this property. Comfortable room, enjoyed the hot tub, great atmosphere in the restaurant and Lounge. All the staff were very friendly, and the GM personally drove me to the airport which saved me $35.
They go above and beyond for their guests, this is a top notch facility.

Room Tip: If your flying in they'll come and pick you up from the airport and bring you back for free. Oth...
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for the wonderful review. We all do what is expected of us, which is to provide our guests the kind of hospitality that our brand is known for and that means going the proverbial extra mile.

We serve at the pleasure of our guests and that is how we keep them coming back, just as we hope to see you again here soon.

Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Very nice hotel, no complaints what so ever. Clean comfortable rooms and friendly staff. I highly recommend this hotel to anybody traveling through High Level. They serve Starbucks coffee and also offer smoking rooms for those of us that still smoke.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the very positive review and we hope to see you again soon.

Regards,

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Highly Recommend this hotel, stay here often for business, good quality, updated, clean rooms, restaurant is a bit pricey, the staff are knowledgeable. We look forward to our stay at this location in High Level.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Hi Sandra,

It's always a real pleasure having you here. You and your husband are such wonderful people and are very pleasant to deal with. We greatly appreciate your loyalty to our brand and we hope to see you again soon.

Toronto
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Who would figure in the middle of a small northern Alberta town that you could find such an amazing place. The Bed to the Food is all first class. Really enjoyed my stay - try the elk or the bison burger my fav. The breakfast is great and hey they even have starbucks coffee! Truely amazing

Room Tip: stay two nights
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you from all of us here at the Best Western PLUS Mirage Hotel & Resort! We would love to have you here again and try other highly acclaimed items on our menu.

Best regards,