This was my first (and hopefully last) experience with 40 degree below zero weather.
OK, enough complaining.
The hotel itself is a real gem. The folks at the front desk were very polite end efficient, the rooms were spacious and clean, the beds were comfortable and the heat worked.
There doesn't seem to be much to do in High Level in December, at least nothing worth going outside for. So I was pretty much either at the hotel or at work for my entire week's stay. And here's where the hotel lost a few points although I don't think they can do much about it.
Start with the restaurant. The baby back ribs left a bit to be desired. They were dry and the hot barbecue sauce tasted a lot like Buffalo wing sauce. But I'm very picky on barbecue so this may be a bit harsh. The smoked brisket sandwich was excellent and did make up for the marginal ribs. For a real treat, try the linguini carbonara. Awesome. Anyway, the restaurant is top notch.
The TV and internet were a bit spotty with both signals dropping out occasionally and a few disconnects. This may have been due to the weather.
I wish the hotel could have supplied some humidifiers. Because of the cold, the air in my room was so dry that every time I walked across the carpet I developed enough of a static charge to "ZAP" as soon as I turned on a light or touched a water faucet or, worse, when I touched my computer. The "ZAPS" actually turned it off twice and I think fried the sound card. Oh, well.
Anyway, looks like I'll be back in High Level in the next month or two and the Best Western will be the place I'll be staying at.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All of our hotel guest have free access to our fun filled 8500 square foot water park! Kids can enjoy our water play ground and water slide, while adults can relax in our huge hot tub. Plenty of comfortable seating nestle between palm trees ensure a serene experience winter or summer.Guests also have interior access to all of the properties amenities, including our restaurant and lounge, which are located under a glass solarium ceiling and surrounded by lush greenery and water fountains for a tranquil dining experience. We offer a variety of meeting rooms and banquet facilities for up to 500 persons. There is a business center on site as well as high-speed wireless Internet access throughout the property free of charge. All of our guests enjoy a complimentary hot breakfast buffet from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. daily, including fresh baked pastries, gourmet coffee, and juices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Best Western Plus Mirage Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Mirage Hotel And Resort
- Best Western Plus Mirage Hotel High Level
- Best Western Plus Mirage Hotel & Resort High Level, Canada - Alberta