“wonderful place to be”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rocky Mountain House
Ride the Wind Ranch
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Peaceful with a view of the forest and mountains far away. cabins are very clean and hosts welcoming. Horses are friendly. lake and horse trails around 5 mins away. We loved our stay and looking forward to be there again soon!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 June 2013

The 'ride the wind ranch' is a beautiful place to go to get away. When we arrived we were really happy to find that the place was even nicer than the pictures on their website.

The cabins are super clean and cozy. We loved all the beautiful wood décor.
The view was amazing...rolling hills and snowy rocky mountains in the distance, long horn cattle and beautiful horses. It was so serene and peaceful too.

The set up of the place was great too...private cabins away from the house with a fire pit located not too close to the house. So we didn't feel like we were bothering anyone by having a fire. There is a small hot tub available as well on the owner's deck. It is off to the side, though, so it doesn't really feel like you are on their deck. We did do the breakfast part with the family. The breakfast is optional too, which is nice.

We thought the family was great. We found them to be very interesting people and had great conversation during breakfast. We also loved how they were so flexible. We were told that we could check in and check out at any time and that we could use the hot tub and fire pit at any time. They never came out in the yard while we were there so we really felt like we were on a getaway. It does not feel like you are in someone's yard at all. The place is set up really well. I think it would be great for a family or even for a romantic getaway.

I should also mention that the ranch is very conveniently located as well. It is 5 mins from Crimson lake and horse trail ridding. We did many activities in the area.

Also, we thought it was priced very reasonably.

We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christine S
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The location feels far away but it is in fact very easy to get to. The sandhill cranes that take over the paddocks every spring and the Texas Longhorns in the meadows made great sights from our verandah and I gather the view to the mountains is spectacular - but it was socked in and very wet the night we were there. That didn't stop Kathy and Marty being wonderful hosts, the accommodation very comfortable and the home cooking a treat.
We will return as there is so much to see and do in the area.

Room Tip: All four rooms are identical. We were the only guests so any of the rooms would have been perfect...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DandSAlberta
Reviewed 22 January 2013

My mother and I travelled from London to spend 2 weeks in Canada. 1 week was spent touring and the second week was spent at the ranch.
I have to say it was one of the best experiences ever. I was an avid rider when younger but had not got in the saddle for a number of years. I was given Bear, a beautiful cheeky boy whom I was happy to stick with for the week. My mum chose to ride a few different horses - she asked the owners to swap and was happily accomodated.
We were made to feel at home and loved the cabin we were given. All of the family were so nice and we never felt like we were intruding.
I loved the area, the beauty of the landscape and all that the ranch stands for. For me, it was perfect and I would return in a heart beat.
The only negative (from my mum) was that there was not enough to occupy her in the evening. If we returned to the ranch we would take our lap top so that we could watch some films before bed time.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank deeh3
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights and had a fantastic time. I chose the Ranch so that we could ride. The food was excellent and though I was a little sore from so much riding it was great. We got to canter, gallop and even jump though I think that was unexpected, where as most stables only let you sit on the back of a horse and walk (boring) at “Ride the Wind” ranch we did so much more.
The Cabins were great and you couldn’t want a warmer welcome from the Rissi Family especially Ben who was great.
If you get the chance to visit you are one of the lucky ones.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Charlesroxburgh
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed at the ranch for two full days and three nights and absolutely loved our time there! The cabins- built by the family- are really cosy and welcoming. The ranch as a whole is beautiful and the horses are so gentle and lovely. The views of the Rockies are stunning, and the surroundings so peaceful.. it is a real retreat! The family are also great! Kathy, Marty, Joe and Ben were so welcoming and we felt like part of the family for the short time that we were there! Kathy's food was delicious, especially the cakes! The rides are just the perfect length and we really enjoyed getting the horses ready and brushing them etc.
Overall such a wonderful stay and we would totally recommend staying here!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 07lmartin
Reviewed 25 July 2011

The strongpoints are the view of the Rockies, in the distance, from the cabin, the comfortable and clean accommodation and the homecooked meals.

The hostess threw me out of her house twice, once upon arrival, when the other guests were having dinner (I thought it would be an opportunity to meet the people I'd spend a week with, but no) and another time, when I asked for soap, she said she had to keep the door closed because of the mosquitoes, and as I was getting in so she may close the door, she physically pushed me out, out with the mosquitoes, and shut the door in my face. I did not feel welcome, and that's so important when you're travelling alone. They seem to have repeat customers, so maybe I got a special treatment.

The horses are good, safe trail horses but the trails are just trees, no vistas. This is NOT the Rockies. A bit of trotting and loping, which is more than you'll find most anywhere in Alberta because of insurers' policies.

My horse was practically dead-sided when I first rode him, and not responsive to driving with the seat. I complained, but was given the same horse all week. Figured I had to give him a tune-up.Though the website says we may do barrel racing, the horses are not trained for it, so it's just an initiation for beginners. We also did what they called “horsemanship”, that is going around logs as if we were pole bending, but my horse had seldom done it before and since leg steering was not an option, and neck reining not much better, it was disappointing. I don't know if the other horses were more responsive. We got to move the longhorn cattle to a new pasture, that was a bit interesting. All in all, good riding for new riders.

Riding is only in the morning, the afternoons are free, and outdoorsy people can find lots to do around Rocky Mountain House.

People who are into 50's and 60's country and western music as well as vintage cars (and hairdos!) and that sort of nostalgia will like the Ranch. Others may see some phonyness in that.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo