“Grand Lobby But Rooms Need Upgrading!”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Sherwood Park
spruce grove
“Grand Lobby But Rooms Need Upgrading!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

One night stay at this hotel to attend a wedding there.
Landscaping lacks attention and front entrance faded fake plants need to be replaced. Lobby of the hotel featured a grand staircase that was impressive which made us hopeful that this establishment was going to be well worth the price it was charging for the night.
However, although we appreciated the upgrade to a "king" room, the interior was disappointing. For the size of the room, furniture seemed sparse...could use a sofa or table perhaps?? Bathroom was in sad shape and in need of upgrading. Wallpaper was peeling and fixtures were corroded. Bed was comfortable enough and we did enjoy a good night's sleep.
Wifi included with your stay but no breakfast as there is a restaurant and lounge on premises.
Express checkout...no issues with hotel staff which were friendly and courteous.
Hotel is located next to Sherwood Park's sports centre which would be convienient if attending a sports event.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ravip1979, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Hello and thank you for your honest review of our hotel. We here at the Holiday Inn Sherwood Park Conference Centre take both good and bad feed back to the heart and your input of our hotel is greatly appreciated so we may improve the quality of your stay next time. I'm happy to here that you were impressed with our guest service and the comfort ability of the bed. We thank you once again and hope to see you very soon so we may give you the great stay that you deserve every time.

Guest Services Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Banff, Canada
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

New holiday Inn property in town. The lobby was magnificent and it is rare to see this kind of hotel lobby nowadays. Very attentive front desk staff. Good clean room, comfortable bed.
The only negative was no complimentary breakfast. However the bistrou restaurant serves great breakfast at nominal price. We will come back again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We truly appreciate your positive comments about your recent stay with us and are looking forward to welcome you back at Holiday Inn Sherwood Park Conference Center soon so we may give you the great experience you deserve every time. Thank you again and have a wonderful day.

Humboldt, SK
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We attended a wedding just outside of Sherwood Park and this was the hotel chosen for the wedding guests. The lobby is grand with the spiral staircase leading up to the mezzanaine level. The rooms are average and they didn't leave enough towels for the amount of people staying in the room (that is a pet peeve with me). There is no continental breakfast and surprisingly there is not hot tub in the pool area. Nothing spectacular here. The cleaning staff was very polite and friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Vinu9, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Hello, We here at the Holiday Inn Sherwood Park and Conference Centre would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay.

I understand that you were not satisfied with amount of towels provided in the room, and I can assure you that in the future for many guests in one room we will alert Housekeeping to place more amenities in the room. We thank you for your feedback of our hotel and hope to see you again in the future so we may provide you with the great service you deserve every time.

canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We were at this hotel because of a dance competition. It was recommended our team stay at this hotel. We would have preferred one of the other, better options in the area, but our daughter wanted to be in the same hotel as her team mates. Understandable, but also regrettable. It was disappointing to realize we had cancelled a very nice, much cleaner/newer hotel at the same rate for this place. The lobby is lovely and well kept. Being attached to the millennium recreation facility is a nice feature, but people must realize it is not free access as the hotel will lead you to believe. The facility is linked by a pedway, but it is a separate entity with an entry fee. The rooms were extremely basic and in need of attention. Baseboard Tiles were falling off the wall, toenail clippings at the bedside, hair on the bed, feces on the toilet etc. I must say the staff were all very pleasant, helpful and friendly. However, I would take clean toilets over friendly. Several of the people in our group had to call for a plunger -- daily. Housekeeping did not even get to all the rooms. That is fine by me as long as I get clean towels because I make our own beds and keep our room tidy. Some of our friends were not pleased with the lack of room cleaning. The pool area is very basic, but the water was unbelievably cold. Gym area is satisfactory, but nothing to scream about. I was pleased that the room had a fridge, but it froze all my fruit and vegetables. I would highly recommend looking elsewhere to stay. There are many other places right by this hotel that are newer, cleaner, cheaper. If it had not been for our group, I would have avoided this place all together. Funny thing -- one of our friends received a 15% discount when checking out because of the condition of room and inconvenience of daily plunging. Had I known this was an option, I would have spoken up. I feel ripped off at the price I paid for this stay (BTW, they drop off the plunger for the guest to take care of the problem and the plunger is to be placed in a plastic bag and set outside the door. Honestly, 5 people in our group had to deal with this issue.)

Room Tip: Don't stay on floors above level 2 until they resolve their plumbing/sewer issues.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank bkjjk
Vinu9, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
We would like to thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Sherwood Park Conference Centre for recent stay.

It is very unfortunate to hear that we were not able to meet all your expectation, referring to your comments I found out that there was confusion with regards to the Millennium Place charges, I would like to inform you that our property is connect with Millennium Place by pedway, however it is completely different entity and there is charges applicable to use the facility.

With regards to your room cleaning I have checked the housekeeping report and have noticed that the room was serviced, however I would have appreciated if we were informed about any kind of deficiency in making up your room.

Nevertheless I will request you to please contact me directly, so I can take the opportunity to discuss the challenges you have faced during your recent stay.

Regards

Ravi Prakash
Room Division Manager

Travellers are raving about these Sherwood Park hotels

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This HI used to be the Coast Hotel. When you first enter the property, you immediately notice the lobby. It is quite grand, the winding staircase is gorgeous. Check in was easy and the employees were very friendly. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was comfortable. Wifi is included which had a great connection. The room has a coffee maker and a small fridge. It would have been nice to have some water in the room, even for purchase. I went down to the store to buy some but it was closed so the front desk provided me with a bottle which was very nice. There is also a restaurant on site. If you have a car rental, there are quite a few decent restaurants nearby. I usually stay at the HI Express but it wasn't available. I like it better as they have coffee & tea available 24/7 and breakfast is included in the rate. I would stay at the Holiday Inn again however the Express offers a better value for the rate.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MacapaAB
Vinu9, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hello and thank-you for choosing Holiday Inn Sherwood Park & Conference Center for your recent stay. I have read your review and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were happy with both out staff and the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel we appreciate the feedback, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Clandonald
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

We ended up staying here as a last minute decision. Room was ok, 4th floor in a paint-y smelling hallway. The toilet ran all night, loud guys going to work at 5am initially woke the kids up, but that's when the very loud train whistles started and continue now....6:30am- what a pain. Not looking forward to driving the last leg of our trip on so little sleep, but it's definately not happening at this hotel!! No in room movies, and once again, as in other reviews, the restaurant is shut down.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank 3kidsljs
Cold Lake, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We booked this room last minute as we were attending a function in Rundle Park. This hotel was very convenient as it is just off the Yellowhead highway and tucked into a quiet business park. Very clean with friendly, professional, and efficient front desk staff. The building is being remodelled to become a holiday inn and the restaurant was closed. Great restaurant choice just a couple of blocks away however. The bedspreads seem a little outdated although renos are underway...
Overall quiet, clean, comfortable room with professional staff...what more can you ask for other than opulence? We will be staying here again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple