“May long weekend”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wetaskiwin
Reviewed 27 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle N
Tony B, General Manager at Super 8 Wetaskiwin, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

There are newer reviews for Super 8 Wetaskiwin

Reviewed 19 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Deanna T
Tony B, Manager at Super 8 Wetaskiwin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Everyone, including the manager, was VERY helpful and mindful.
The breakfast room was well kept and our rooms were well done.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Tony B, General Manager at Super 8 Wetaskiwin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Ahni & Zoe

I would like to Thank You for choosing Super 8 Wetaskiwin and allowing us to cater for your conference facilities, It was a pleasure taking care of all your needs and we look forward to hosting this function in future for you.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Yes, it's true I would normally choose any other hotel chain than a Super 8 given the choice. Not anymore. Our hockey team booked here for a tournament. I had read online about this hotel overbooking and quite frankly I was afraid because we were bringing 2 kids with us and really wanted a suite. We checked in at 6pm on a Friday and there were no issues however one lady on our team checked in at 8:30pm and her room type was not available and not ready. So she had a wait.
Our suite was very spacious and everything was newer and clean. Perfect room configuration for a family.
The pool was a huge hit with our team.
The continental breakfast did the job for us and the kids.
I had a late checkout and was accomodated well.

I will look forward to staying here again when we are in town.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Tony B, General Manager at Super 8 Wetaskiwin, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Shauna

Thank you for your kind words, I am happy that we were able to deliver on our 8 point promise to you and very happy that we were able to change your view on the Super 8 Chain. We are very proud of all our rooms especially the family suites and I am happy to see you all made great use of the pool.

We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future

Reviewed 6 March 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Dustin Z
Reviewed 1 March 2014

For over 5 years I’ve stayed in various hotels monthly, across Alberta, for business. Fortunately, I’ve never had the experience that I had at this Super 8. This particular trip was for pleasure, a family trip for a hockey tournament. The short story, this hotel routinely utilizes the practice of overbooking their rooms and then seemingly fills the rooms on a first come first served basis; a practice that, through my research, leaves the customer with no real recourse UNLESS they have PAID for the specific room in advance.

The long story, I had reserved a Suite three months in advance through the Super 8 website and secured it with my credit card (which, according to their policy, would mean that I would be charged for the first night if I was a no show). I received an email confirmation with all the details and then called the hotel directly one week prior to arrival to again confirm the reservation etc. I was ensured that all was in order.

My wife and family arrived at the hotel about one hour prior to the stated check-in time and were given a room; I arrived shortly thereafter to find that the room we were in was NOT the suite that I had booked. I went to the front desk to discuss the matter and waited patiently while the clerk (who had a copy of the Satanic Bible next to her … honestly) dealt with other disgruntled customers who were working their way through the same situation our family was in. Namely, they had reserved a suite and were told that it was not available. When it was my turn, my query resulted in no satisfactory resolution; and I was told that no other rooms were available. Not only was I given a room type of ‘lesser’ value, they had charged me the same rate as the suite; when I inquired about this she replied that I was given a room with a king bed. I said yes but that’s NOT the same as the king suite. Then she said that my original quote was wrong, “the suite costs more than that”. I provided her with a paper copy of the reservation that I had made (again from their own website) with the quoted rate right on it. I was advised that I could speak with the manager the next morning.

The next morning I first spoke with the individual directly, who had verbally confirmed my reservation on the phone earlier that week, she told me that there was only one suite in the hotel and that the party staying there had been there for several months. I politely indicated to her that she was lying to me because the evening prior our team got together in that very suite that had been given to another member of our hockey team. I said that regardless of who was in the suite and their circumstances it was a moot point, and I wanted to know why my confirmed booking had not been honoured. She became much less cheerful and much more reticent.

I had two questions I needed answered: What were they going to do to make it right? And if I stayed there again what would I have to do to ensure that I was provided with the room that I had actually booked? I asked to speak to the manager.

He said my quoted rate was wrong, that in order to ensure the room I had to call the hotel directly preferably within the week prior to arrival. I indicated that I had indeed done that and he asked me who I spoke with and the clerk beside him sheepishly told him that it was her. After some more discussion he gave me a nominal discount which equated to the ‘government rate’ and said that he would give me a 20% discount the next time I stayed there.

The important thing to glean out of our experience is, if you choose to stay here, do not expect that you will be provided with the room type and/or location that you reserve. Again, my experience at this hotel is NOT an isolated event; it is their common practice. The clerks that I dealt with I’m sure were doing their job as mandated by the management. Not a comfortable or enjoyable situation for the front desk clerks I’m sure.

As for the room itself, other facilities, breakfast etc. What does it matter when you have to deal with lies, lies, lies and more lies whether on business, a family vacation, or otherwise?

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, do not expect that you will be provided with the room type and/or locati...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Nonamee2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wetaskiwin
Best Western Wayside Inn
#2 of 6 in Camrose
Canalta Camrose
Canalta Camrose
#3 of 6 in Camrose

Been to Super 8 Wetaskiwin? Share your experiences!