“The best part is going and the worst part is leaving.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“The best part is going and the worst part is leaving.”
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Go. Definitely go. Go with a friend, with your spouse, or go solo. It doesn't matter. Just go. The natural setting is crazy beautiful with striking views of the surrounding mountains and glacial blue lake water. That alone is worth the trip. Then add the daily hikes (prepare to sweat and pant while admiring blankets of wildflowers and one scenic alpine vista after another), the supportive staff and encouraging, well-trained guides, the morning yoga (my fave), the food (unbelievably filling and good, whether you are vegan, vegetarian or omnivorous) and quiet evenings of scheduled massage, sauna, steam and/or Jacuzzi. Pack what they tell you to pack (no one gets fancy here, so the basics are enough), but in addition to plenty of quick-dry shorts and t-shirts, make sure you have very good, well-fitting hiking shoes or light boots.

And now for my final Mountain Trek Happy Foot Week tip: I also highly recommend the old-fashioned system of wearing a liner with a hiking sock. Smart Wool is a great brand, but there are others. Just make sure you wear both sock and liner when trying on hiking boots or shoes. With the added thickness of the socks, you may need to go up a shoe size to get the best fit, but it is so worth it. My husband, who is fit and hiked hard and fast, and I, who struggled mightily with the uphills in the last group of winded, middle-aged slow pokes, were the only people during our week who didn't get painful blisters. I'm convinced it's because we didn't scrimp on good footwear and high quality socks.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank 09252011n

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 September 2011

This is an update of a 12/19/10 review, after I had attended my first Mountain Trek program in Baja California, at the incredibly beautiful Rancho La Puerta. I'm so glad that I also attended a week at MT's (own) lodge in B.C. Both experiences were wonderful, but totally different. Due to the nature of the Lodge, the accommodations in B.C. are smaller than they are in Baja, but very serene and spotless. And because there are only about 10-14 people attending at any one time, it's a much more intimate group. The food is excellent, and offers chicken and beef during the week in addition to fish (the program in Baja is vegetarian and fish). I have never worked out or done yoga in a gym with a more magnificent view; MT's gym looks down through a frame of trees to Kootenay Lake, which is something like 100 miles long. All of this detail does not do justice to the spirit at Mountain Trek in B.C. -- the inspiration, the serenity, the RESULTS!, the fabulous staff -- all of whom are highly personable, professional, caring and motivating. MT doesn't just want you to lose weight/fat while you're there; they aim to help you make practical changes that will allow you to keep losing once you're home. And actually, the weight loss is just part of their overall program, which is to educate you about how to stay vital as you age, rather than just succumb to societal expectations about growing older. This has been a major transitional year for me -- getting divorced at 57, and trying one last time to lose weight and keep it off. I was so inspired by my visit to MT's lodge in B.C. that I climbed the highest peak in New Mexico five days after leaving. My experiences at Mountain Trek this year have made a huge difference in how I live my new single life -- physically and emotionally. I enjoyed the beautiful hiking so much that I'm planning to attend their 10-day "Turkey Burner" snow-shoe session over New Year's. My advice to anyone thinking of going is -- GO! But also make the most of your trip by planning it at a time when you can go home straight into a new, healthier routine. The 2 leaders and the nutritionist emphasize that you should focus on patterns, not details, of a healthier lifestyle and urge you to select a small number of goals/new habits to commit to when you leave. This is easier to do if you don't have to travel, move or change jobs in the first couple of weeks after your MT session.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank MarkeB
Healdsburg, California
Reviewed 23 September 2011

What a great week. I needed to de-stress and put myself first, so I went to MT in August. I'm a busy attorney with lots of stress and too much work. The week at Mountain Trek "reset" my body and mind. The hiking was phenomenal. I'm only a novice hiker, but felt great and made it to the top of Idaho Peak. The guides are very encouraging and are knowledgeable about the area, history, foliage, and trails. The food is really terrific. When I tell people that I was eating 1200 calories a day and that I was never hungry, they don't believe me. It's amazing that a few almonds or berries can satisfy you on the trail for snack! Yoga to start the day was great. Nutrition class and other classes were very helpful in guiding me to bring back my MT experience to my home in CA. Wouldn't change a thing.

2 Thank Karen T
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I travelled half way around the world to get to Mountain Trek - 3 flights, a bus ride and 24 hours later I found myself in one of the most beautiful parts of the planet. I was finding it very difficult to shift that last 5 kgs and I needed a holiday from a stressful job. I googled mountains, yoga, lose weight - Mountain Trek lived up to and exceeded all my expectations. What I found most extraordinary is the attention to detail. MT have been doing this for a long time and they understand and have prepared for every single type of eventuality. They are consumate professionals who are passionate about helping people to achieve their goals, whatever those goals might be.... giving up smoking, losing weight, discovering trekking and mountain air.... I can't speak highly enough about the staff, the food, the care factor. I loved my 2 weeks there and lost nearly 3 kgs in two weeks but more importantly have been inspired to keep up the exercise and healthy living now that I'm back home.

Room Tip: I was lucky enough to get a double room even though single occupancy. The service is impecable. The...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Mila T
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Mountain Trek is a simply fabulous program made up of professional/compassionate guides and staff, awesome hiking, delicious and satisfying food, yoga, circuit training and educational lectures (including how to integrate your MT experience/activities into your "real" life). It is difficult to put into words the feelings and sense of accomplishment I experience at MT - I am a repeat guest and I would live there if they'd let me! If you are ready to challenge yourself and have fun and meet great people and feel the vitality surging through your very being, I encourage you to go to MT - the people and the program will bring out the best in you.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Donna L
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 August 2011

MT delivers what it promises: a kickstart to healthy living, weight loss, and vitality in the midst of the beautiful Kootenay region of British Columbia. It is amazing what even one week of fresh air, rigorous hiking, a daily dose of yoga, and healthy eating can do for one's body, mind, and spirit. Enormous strides in short time are made possible by MT's well-designed program executed by guides who are supportive, energetic, and interesting people -- the kind of people you'd be happy to talk to if you happen to be hiking beside them. The lectures on nutrition are particularly top notch. And there is the setting: this is a truly beautiful part of the world, and I can't imagine a much better place to hike.

Room Tip: Rooms, including bathrooms, have been recently renovated. They tend to be small but well-appointed.
1 Thank Sinaj9
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2011

A great value for a mountain hiking/weight loss retreat. Everyone in our group raved about the scenery,food, and excellent weight loss.I will definitely go back.

2 Thank Philip L
#4 of 10 in Nelson
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
#3 of 3 in Ainsworth Hot Springs

Been to Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa? Share your experiences!