“A life changing experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa
Reviewed 14 December 2011

My wife and I have just finished the fantastic experience of a Mountain Trek 2 week program at Rancho La Puetra. The results were amazing with 15 lbs of weight loss for me and 10 pounds for my spouse (mostly fat). And with the motivational talks on how to continue when we returned to our normal routines we are living a better and more productive life. We have adopted the 5 and 2 day principle. And have joined a gym. The transition was remarkably simple. The staff at MT were the best. I had a total knee replacement 2 years ago and the program was do-able for someone like me who has been essentially sedentary for over 25 years. I am 66 years old and feel like I am 40 again.

Thanks go to the MT staff for their care and motivation.

Every aspect of the program was first Class.
[---]

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rick L

Reviewed 30 October 2011

I have been to Mountain Trek 3 times for a total of 5 weeks. Each and every time it has been an amazing experience. This is a place to go and feel what it is like to experience your highest and best good on every level. If you are a busy executive and used to fast food and a fast pace, this place will help your find new ways to bring health and vitality into your life in practical doable ways. Be prepared to work hard. The hiking is challenging but the well trained experienced guides make the opportunity fit perfectly for almost any fitness level. Massages, yoga and saunas help your body function at its best. The food is fabulous and lovingly carefully modified for any specialized dietary requirements. The accommodations are designed to be practical and comfortable, which they are. They are well cared for and very very clean. The atmosphere at Mountain Trek is more comfortable than your favorite cuddly blanket by the fire. The friends I have made are wonderful as more than 30% return as I have, some many many times. When coming home from Mountain Trek your heart, mind and spirit will have truly been honored. if you are looking for a truly revitalizing way to spend a week or two, you will be hard pressed to find anything that remotely competes.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank The_KatP
Reviewed 29 October 2011

How do you explain the trip of a lifetime ,Well I'll try to keep it brief. If you are weary ,stressed,and given all you can give until there's nothing left . This is where you go to rejuvenate and get back to you ! I don't know how I came to pick this place because I am not nor have I ever been an outdoors kind of girl don't even ask me to go to a park it would be a big no! I guess I wanted to see if I could do something out of my comfort zone . And I was desperate to see if I could lose some weight,having a thyroid problem I haven't been able to lose any weight since I was diagnosed over a year ago. I've worked with multiple trainers and people preparing my food and nothing has worked,until I came here! I actually lost body fat and gained muscle! When I returned home my trainer said that I was in the best shape he had seen me in ,in a long time. Not to mention my out look on life I felt like living again. My family is so happy they've gained a more energized,healthy, happy,person not to mention one that cooks healthy delicious meals (courtesy the wonderful cookbook they sent home)and a NATURE GIRL that organizes hikes for our family on the weekends. ( they love it ) and I secretly like that my perfectly healthy husband who's been the same size since high school has trouble keeping up with me now !! Ha ha well let me me tell you about the environment ,from the moment you arrive you know you are in the hands of people who REALLY like what they do and really walk the talk. They are the most genuine and gracious people I've ever had the pleasure to know. I feel so blessed to have been in there presence . The routine you get up early something I wasn't sure I could adjust to not being a morning person but after morning yoga that is just enough to gently wake you ,I felt happy to be awake ,then you walked in to a gourmet breakfast that was beautiful and delicious! I can't think of one meal I didn't like.not to mention they accommodated all of my food preferences and allergies.after our breakfast we would have a nutrition talk or various other insightful talks and then hit the road for a hiking adventure,the scenery was jaw droppingly beautiful just when you thought they couldn't show you anything more beautiful than the day before they pulled through every time.the evenings we would all sit down to dinner after a rewarding days hike and enjoy a new culinary experience and laugh and chat about various subjects then we would exercise after dinner ? Who would have guessed it would be such fun ! I even exercised after dinner on my Saturday off because I enjoyed it so much after that, what better way to end an evening than a massage to relax you and get you ready for bed I felt so spoiled! Some of you may wonder about the facilities they were always immaculately clean everywhere, your rooms were cleaned daily and gym, jacuzzi,saunas, grounds were so clean and I'm super picky, I notice everything , the place was spotless at all times. I just have to sum this all up by saying if you are contemplating this place, please don't just go do it for yourself THIS PLACE REALLY IS LIFE CHANGING!!!LIFE SAVING!!!

3  Thank AtlantaGagirl
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Go. Definitely go. Go with a friend, with your spouse, or go solo. It doesn't matter. Just go. The natural setting is crazy beautiful with striking views of the surrounding mountains and glacial blue lake water. That alone is worth the trip. Then add the daily hikes (prepare to sweat and pant while admiring blankets of wildflowers and one scenic alpine vista after another), the supportive staff and encouraging, well-trained guides, the morning yoga (my fave), the food (unbelievably filling and good, whether you are vegan, vegetarian or omnivorous) and quiet evenings of scheduled massage, sauna, steam and/or Jacuzzi. Pack what they tell you to pack (no one gets fancy here, so the basics are enough), but in addition to plenty of quick-dry shorts and t-shirts, make sure you have very good, well-fitting hiking shoes or light boots.

And now for my final Mountain Trek Happy Foot Week tip: I also highly recommend the old-fashioned system of wearing a liner with a hiking sock. Smart Wool is a great brand, but there are others. Just make sure you wear both sock and liner when trying on hiking boots or shoes. With the added thickness of the socks, you may need to go up a shoe size to get the best fit, but it is so worth it. My husband, who is fit and hiked hard and fast, and I, who struggled mightily with the uphills in the last group of winded, middle-aged slow pokes, were the only people during our week who didn't get painful blisters. I'm convinced it's because we didn't scrimp on good footwear and high quality socks.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank 09252011n
Reviewed 27 September 2011

This is an update of a 12/19/10 review, after I had attended my first Mountain Trek program in Baja California, at the incredibly beautiful Rancho La Puerta. I'm so glad that I also attended a week at MT's (own) lodge in B.C. Both experiences were wonderful, but totally different. Due to the nature of the Lodge, the accommodations in B.C. are smaller than they are in Baja, but very serene and spotless. And because there are only about 10-14 people attending at any one time, it's a much more intimate group. The food is excellent, and offers chicken and beef during the week in addition to fish (the program in Baja is vegetarian and fish). I have never worked out or done yoga in a gym with a more magnificent view; MT's gym looks down through a frame of trees to Kootenay Lake, which is something like 100 miles long. All of this detail does not do justice to the spirit at Mountain Trek in B.C. -- the inspiration, the serenity, the RESULTS!, the fabulous staff -- all of whom are highly personable, professional, caring and motivating. MT doesn't just want you to lose weight/fat while you're there; they aim to help you make practical changes that will allow you to keep losing once you're home. And actually, the weight loss is just part of their overall program, which is to educate you about how to stay vital as you age, rather than just succumb to societal expectations about growing older. This has been a major transitional year for me -- getting divorced at 57, and trying one last time to lose weight and keep it off. I was so inspired by my visit to MT's lodge in B.C. that I climbed the highest peak in New Mexico five days after leaving. My experiences at Mountain Trek this year have made a huge difference in how I live my new single life -- physically and emotionally. I enjoyed the beautiful hiking so much that I'm planning to attend their 10-day "Turkey Burner" snow-shoe session over New Year's. My advice to anyone thinking of going is -- GO! But also make the most of your trip by planning it at a time when you can go home straight into a new, healthier routine. The 2 leaders and the nutritionist emphasize that you should focus on patterns, not details, of a healthier lifestyle and urge you to select a small number of goals/new habits to commit to when you leave. This is easier to do if you don't have to travel, move or change jobs in the first couple of weeks after your MT session.

4  Thank MarkeB
Reviewed 23 September 2011

What a great week. I needed to de-stress and put myself first, so I went to MT in August. I'm a busy attorney with lots of stress and too much work. The week at Mountain Trek "reset" my body and mind. The hiking was phenomenal. I'm only a novice hiker, but felt great and made it to the top of Idaho Peak. The guides are very encouraging and are knowledgeable about the area, history, foliage, and trails. The food is really terrific. When I tell people that I was eating 1200 calories a day and that I was never hungry, they don't believe me. It's amazing that a few almonds or berries can satisfy you on the trail for snack! Yoga to start the day was great. Nutrition class and other classes were very helpful in guiding me to bring back my MT experience to my home in CA. Wouldn't change a thing.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Karen T
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I travelled half way around the world to get to Mountain Trek - 3 flights, a bus ride and 24 hours later I found myself in one of the most beautiful parts of the planet. I was finding it very difficult to shift that last 5 kgs and I needed a holiday from a stressful job. I googled mountains, yoga, lose weight - Mountain Trek lived up to and exceeded all my expectations. What I found most extraordinary is the attention to detail. MT have been doing this for a long time and they understand and have prepared for every single type of eventuality. They are consumate professionals who are passionate about helping people to achieve their goals, whatever those goals might be.... giving up smoking, losing weight, discovering trekking and mountain air.... I can't speak highly enough about the staff, the food, the care factor. I loved my 2 weeks there and lost nearly 3 kgs in two weeks but more importantly have been inspired to keep up the exercise and healthy living now that I'm back home.

Room Tip: I was lucky enough to get a double room even though single occupancy. The service is impecable. The...