“Life Changing, So Grateful!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Life Changing, So Grateful!!!”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My wife and I went to the Turkey Burner snow shoeing bootcamp over the New Year's holiday. We were looking for a place to give us a kick start to getting back in shape. And boy did we get that kick start. We both lost nine pounds over the ten day stay (I actually lost 11 pounds of fat but put on some muscle and water weight as I was a bit dehydrated when I arrived). Not only that but my blood pressure dropped from 142/88 to 118/70. And we both lost inches off our waists and hips.

The scenery is gorgeous, the food tasty, the program top notch, and the guides wonderful.

I will say that it is definitely a strenuous program. They're not kidding around here. I was huffing and puffing the first few days (and in all honesty, my wife and I even contemplated giving up three days in) but by the end of the stay we felt amazing. I can't even describe the transformation. We went from feeling completely out of shape to feeling athletic again. Just incredible.

What my wife and I really appreciated is that they accommodate all fitness levels. They had four separate groups going out and you could push yourself or drop back depending on how you were feeling.

There is no question in my mind that we would return if we ever needed that "bootcamp in the pants" again.

Best of all, my wife and I have continued to incorporate many of the things we learned during our stay (and there was so much to learn!) I have to say we are probably in the best shape either one of us has been in 20 years. We are eating better, exercising more, and shedding the pounds (I've lost another eight pounds in the month since I've been back).

We can't thank everyone at Mountain Trek enough.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Don C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 13 February 2012

This spa is down to earth, reasonable and very effective, The staff is kind and focused on individual needs and goals. I have been about 6 times and it exceeds my expectations. It is beautiful and remote, but staff is dedicated and not warped by the business of a high-powered large spa. Very comfotable and nurturing and I now consider myself a confident , expert hiker and part time mountain woman. BC is one of the most beautiful and pristine places in the world , with the only rain forest in North America. The hikes can be very challenging but not once did I feel unsafe. The food is fresh , locally grown and the whole experience is a detoxification. Mountain Trek is magic.You will loose weight and get fit.Expert massage keeps you going. Natural sulfurs springs down the road.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Marguerite C
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 14 December 2011

My wife and I have just finished the fantastic experience of a Mountain Trek 2 week program at Rancho La Puetra. The results were amazing with 15 lbs of weight loss for me and 10 pounds for my spouse (mostly fat). And with the motivational talks on how to continue when we returned to our normal routines we are living a better and more productive life. We have adopted the 5 and 2 day principle. And have joined a gym. The transition was remarkably simple. The staff at MT were the best. I had a total knee replacement 2 years ago and the program was do-able for someone like me who has been essentially sedentary for over 25 years. I am 66 years old and feel like I am 40 again.

Thanks go to the MT staff for their care and motivation.

Every aspect of the program was first Class.
[---]

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rick L
Cold Lake, Canada
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I have been to Mountain Trek 3 times for a total of 5 weeks. Each and every time it has been an amazing experience. This is a place to go and feel what it is like to experience your highest and best good on every level. If you are a busy executive and used to fast food and a fast pace, this place will help your find new ways to bring health and vitality into your life in practical doable ways. Be prepared to work hard. The hiking is challenging but the well trained experienced guides make the opportunity fit perfectly for almost any fitness level. Massages, yoga and saunas help your body function at its best. The food is fabulous and lovingly carefully modified for any specialized dietary requirements. The accommodations are designed to be practical and comfortable, which they are. They are well cared for and very very clean. The atmosphere at Mountain Trek is more comfortable than your favorite cuddly blanket by the fire. The friends I have made are wonderful as more than 30% return as I have, some many many times. When coming home from Mountain Trek your heart, mind and spirit will have truly been honored. if you are looking for a truly revitalizing way to spend a week or two, you will be hard pressed to find anything that remotely competes.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank The_KatP
atlanta
Reviewed 29 October 2011

How do you explain the trip of a lifetime ,Well I'll try to keep it brief. If you are weary ,stressed,and given all you can give until there's nothing left . This is where you go to rejuvenate and get back to you ! I don't know how I came to pick this place because I am not nor have I ever been an outdoors kind of girl don't even ask me to go to a park it would be a big no! I guess I wanted to see if I could do something out of my comfort zone . And I was desperate to see if I could lose some weight,having a thyroid problem I haven't been able to lose any weight since I was diagnosed over a year ago. I've worked with multiple trainers and people preparing my food and nothing has worked,until I came here! I actually lost body fat and gained muscle! When I returned home my trainer said that I was in the best shape he had seen me in ,in a long time. Not to mention my out look on life I felt like living again. My family is so happy they've gained a more energized,healthy, happy,person not to mention one that cooks healthy delicious meals (courtesy the wonderful cookbook they sent home)and a NATURE GIRL that organizes hikes for our family on the weekends. ( they love it ) and I secretly like that my perfectly healthy husband who's been the same size since high school has trouble keeping up with me now !! Ha ha well let me me tell you about the environment ,from the moment you arrive you know you are in the hands of people who REALLY like what they do and really walk the talk. They are the most genuine and gracious people I've ever had the pleasure to know. I feel so blessed to have been in there presence . The routine you get up early something I wasn't sure I could adjust to not being a morning person but after morning yoga that is just enough to gently wake you ,I felt happy to be awake ,then you walked in to a gourmet breakfast that was beautiful and delicious! I can't think of one meal I didn't like.not to mention they accommodated all of my food preferences and allergies.after our breakfast we would have a nutrition talk or various other insightful talks and then hit the road for a hiking adventure,the scenery was jaw droppingly beautiful just when you thought they couldn't show you anything more beautiful than the day before they pulled through every time.the evenings we would all sit down to dinner after a rewarding days hike and enjoy a new culinary experience and laugh and chat about various subjects then we would exercise after dinner ? Who would have guessed it would be such fun ! I even exercised after dinner on my Saturday off because I enjoyed it so much after that, what better way to end an evening than a massage to relax you and get you ready for bed I felt so spoiled! Some of you may wonder about the facilities they were always immaculately clean everywhere, your rooms were cleaned daily and gym, jacuzzi,saunas, grounds were so clean and I'm super picky, I notice everything , the place was spotless at all times. I just have to sum this all up by saying if you are contemplating this place, please don't just go do it for yourself THIS PLACE REALLY IS LIFE CHANGING!!!LIFE SAVING!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank AtlantaGagirl
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Go. Definitely go. Go with a friend, with your spouse, or go solo. It doesn't matter. Just go. The natural setting is crazy beautiful with striking views of the surrounding mountains and glacial blue lake water. That alone is worth the trip. Then add the daily hikes (prepare to sweat and pant while admiring blankets of wildflowers and one scenic alpine vista after another), the supportive staff and encouraging, well-trained guides, the morning yoga (my fave), the food (unbelievably filling and good, whether you are vegan, vegetarian or omnivorous) and quiet evenings of scheduled massage, sauna, steam and/or Jacuzzi. Pack what they tell you to pack (no one gets fancy here, so the basics are enough), but in addition to plenty of quick-dry shorts and t-shirts, make sure you have very good, well-fitting hiking shoes or light boots.

And now for my final Mountain Trek Happy Foot Week tip: I also highly recommend the old-fashioned system of wearing a liner with a hiking sock. Smart Wool is a great brand, but there are others. Just make sure you wear both sock and liner when trying on hiking boots or shoes. With the added thickness of the socks, you may need to go up a shoe size to get the best fit, but it is so worth it. My husband, who is fit and hiked hard and fast, and I, who struggled mightily with the uphills in the last group of winded, middle-aged slow pokes, were the only people during our week who didn't get painful blisters. I'm convinced it's because we didn't scrimp on good footwear and high quality socks.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank 09252011n
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 September 2011

This is an update of a 12/19/10 review, after I had attended my first Mountain Trek program in Baja California, at the incredibly beautiful Rancho La Puerta. I'm so glad that I also attended a week at MT's (own) lodge in B.C. Both experiences were wonderful, but totally different. Due to the nature of the Lodge, the accommodations in B.C. are smaller than they are in Baja, but very serene and spotless. And because there are only about 10-14 people attending at any one time, it's a much more intimate group. The food is excellent, and offers chicken and beef during the week in addition to fish (the program in Baja is vegetarian and fish). I have never worked out or done yoga in a gym with a more magnificent view; MT's gym looks down through a frame of trees to Kootenay Lake, which is something like 100 miles long. All of this detail does not do justice to the spirit at Mountain Trek in B.C. -- the inspiration, the serenity, the RESULTS!, the fabulous staff -- all of whom are highly personable, professional, caring and motivating. MT doesn't just want you to lose weight/fat while you're there; they aim to help you make practical changes that will allow you to keep losing once you're home. And actually, the weight loss is just part of their overall program, which is to educate you about how to stay vital as you age, rather than just succumb to societal expectations about growing older. This has been a major transitional year for me -- getting divorced at 57, and trying one last time to lose weight and keep it off. I was so inspired by my visit to MT's lodge in B.C. that I climbed the highest peak in New Mexico five days after leaving. My experiences at Mountain Trek this year have made a huge difference in how I live my new single life -- physically and emotionally. I enjoyed the beautiful hiking so much that I'm planning to attend their 10-day "Turkey Burner" snow-shoe session over New Year's. My advice to anyone thinking of going is -- GO! But also make the most of your trip by planning it at a time when you can go home straight into a new, healthier routine. The 2 leaders and the nutritionist emphasize that you should focus on patterns, not details, of a healthier lifestyle and urge you to select a small number of goals/new habits to commit to when you leave. This is easier to do if you don't have to travel, move or change jobs in the first couple of weeks after your MT session.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
#5 of 10 in Nelson
Ainsworth Motel
Ainsworth Motel
#1 of 3 in Ainsworth Hot Springs

Been to Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa? Share your experiences!