“Transformative Experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This was easily one of my top vacation experiences - the locale was breath taking, the guides and staff skilled, nurturing and knowledgeable and most importantly the program itself was holistic. It addressed both mind and body to stay fit and provided very useful tips to take back home. This was the catalyst I was looking for and the transition to the 'real world' has been transformative - I move more, eat less, sleep better and feel more alert ant and more rested than I have in years!

Even though it was August, the trails were covered by a canopy of trees and the clean mountain was invigorating and did not make it uncomfortably warm.

The food was both delicious and nutritious - the portions were small but adequate and none of us felt hungry. On the contrary, as 'volume' eater, I was delighted to learn how much less I need to eat when I thought of food primarily as fuel. They do feed you all the the time with small snacks (creative and yummy - protein and fruit/veggies) so you never really go hungry. Again, a great take away for me when I got back home.

I've ben struggling with yo-yo diets and weight loss programs including personals trainers for the last several years. This program brought it all together and its worth every penny. Only advise, do pay attention to getting the right hiking shoes and socks - they are well worth it.

Room Tip: As far as I know, the room does not matter - all you do in the room is to have deep restful restorat...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EM2212

Reviewed 15 August 2012

This was one of the most challenging experiences of my life. I left Mountain Trek feeling both physically and emotionally stronger than I had in a long while. We were cared for and nurtured while being encouraged and inspired. We learned so much about health, wellness, and nutrition. It was an amazing experience that I hope to indulge in on an annual basis.

2  Thank Gatorferg
Reviewed 13 August 2012

This is not an ordinary spa - it is a special place to regain your life. I had fallen out of shape the last few years. By attending Mountain Trek I was able to understand the connection of food, exercise, stress, and sleep in a way that makes sense. I even learned how to integrate what I learned back in the "real world." The yoga was gentle and I felt accepted in the class even though I had never done yoga. The hikes were magnificent. I really pushed to accomplish the week and I am proud that I did it. The mountains are soothing and beautiful. I would like to send everyone I care about to Mountain Trek.

The customer service was outstanding, and I believe that the staff really care about you. The hospitality, accommodations and food were all wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Stephanie S
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I stayed at Mountain Trek a few years ago. When I started looking for a weight loss center, Google sent me straight to hiking.com... It seemed like madness to travel from Greece to Ainsworth, I could hardly find it on the map... however after checking out all the other available weight loss spas I decided I wanted something more active and figured I should give it a try...

The experience was amazing and after spending 4 weeks hiking in the summer, I went back after Christmas for another 2 weeks of hiking with snowshoes in the winter.

The area is trully spectacular and I will never forget hiking in those mountains. I had never hiked before and was a bit afraid I would not be able to follow the others, however we were divided in groups according to fitness levels and general physical condition and that fave you a wonderfull feeling of struggling to achieve your goals together with others who are compatible with you. Merely completing the hike every day gave you a great sense of accomplishment, and together with the weight loss results you gained confidence and pride for yourself.

The staff was great, always helpfull and supportive. They were also quite tough, woke us up at 6.00am to beging our day with morning yoga and breakfast, before setting out for our dayily hike. They always knew how to get the best out of us, by pushing us hard but not too hard as to demotivate us. I remember all the team with great fondness and gratitude.

The food was also at gourmet standards..., very lean but delicious and we got to learn a lot of great habits to take home with.

Regarding the accomodations, I am sure since my visit there have been changes and improvements. When I visited they were very good, but with no spa-type luxuries. If you wish to be pampered 24/7, have a TV in your room, play golf and bridge, then go to a Californian spa. Here you got a comfortable bed with a tiny bathroom, a very warm and cosy communal area for sitting around and a family dinner table. There were only 12 of us each week, so you can imagine how personal the feeling was. There was a gym area and a great hot tub for soaking those hurting muscles.

The Mountain Trek experience was one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank LoukiaEf
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I visited Mountain Trek in the spring, motivated by a desire to jump start my summer season in a more active mode than I'd been in lately. I am quite fit and did not need to lose any weight, but wanted to reinvigorate my drive to keep increasing my fitness level, and to get information about eating patterns that might be less healthy than I assumed they were. My visit accomplished all of the above, and the changes have stuck with me more than 2 months after my visit. There were a few small bumps in the road with kitchen errors, a couple of annoying evening fitness classes and one guide who was apparently untrained, but in the overall scope of the trip's benefits these were tiny distractions. The one caveat is that, while the common areas of the lodge are comfortable and have spectacular views, the guest rooms are spartan, and I do mean spartan: I believe the bathroom might have occupied 16 square feet. Overall Mountain Trek gets high marks for the thought, care, and smart information that goes into the program. It wasn't perfect but I'm glad I did it and would do it again.

1  Thank MNRPTraveler
Reviewed 1 August 2012

As I left after 2 weeks and 20 pounds of weight loss, I had a renewed invigorated spirit. I was excited to have made a huge start on journey toward a healthier life and body. More striking, was how I felt about the staff at Mountain Trek. So inspiring an warmhearted, and genuinely committed to helping me reach my goal, they were also invested in seeing that I continued to move forward once I left. Sometimes the people can make all the difference. I was there in June of 2010, but that was not a time frame option on the trip advisor site.

2  Thank rcn9
Reviewed 25 July 2012

As ridiculous as it may sound, Mountain Trek completely changed my life.

When I arrived at the lodge, I was not in good shape. I was depressed, 80 pounds overweight and I felt powerless to do anything about it. I’d chosen Mountain Trek because so many of the reviews here on TripAdvisor used the phrase “life-changing”. And that’s what I needed – a life-change.

My week there was hard. I was just so out-of-shape. But the staff was amazing. They encouraged me and seem to genuinely care about me. And even with the perma-fatigue, I could literally feel myself getting stronger every day. By the end of the week, I had lost seven pounds!

And what about the food? Well, since my normal diet consisted of soda and baked goods and ice-cream and salty fried foods, I was worried about the “spa cuisine”. But you know what? It was incredible! Everything was super-tasty and I made sure I got all the recipes to take home. And miraculously, even though I was eating less, I never felt like I was starving.

I also thought the lectures were great. I really did learn so much about how my body works – and how to make it work more efficiently. They also address dealing with stress -- which I really needed.

Oh, and an added bonus? You’re so tired at the end of the day that you’ll get some of the best sleep of your life!

But can one week in the mountains really make that much of a difference?

Well, since coming home two months ago, I’ve used what I learned to lose a total of 32 pounds… so far. ☺ (Only 50 more to go!) My palate has been completely transformed. I don't crave sugar or salt or caffeine anymore. I snack on fruits, nuts, veggies, hummus and dips. I'm never starving and yet I'm naturally eating less.

I also actually CRAVE exercise now. I’ve joined a hiking club and a tennis club. I’m doing yoga and strength training. It’s crazy. When I wake up, my body WANTS to exercise!

But my life has been changed in other ways too – not just the physical. I’m happy again, I’m smiling again, I’m dealing with stress so much better. It’s just night and day. A previous reviewer called Mountain Trek a "complete body, mind, soul experience" and I couldn't agree more. I'm stronger now in every possible way.

I’m sure there are those who go to Mountain Trek just for the great hiking and the beautiful scenery. But if you’re anything like I was, it can be so much more than that. It really can change your life.

Oh, and I want to address the one bad review here. Clearly, she didn’t bother to read any of the literature before she went. Go to the Mountain Trek website, click on the “Boutique Fitness Retreat” tab, scroll down to “What You Will Experience”, then choose “A Typical Day”. That’s the program, folks. If you don’t want to do that, then don’t go. This isn’t a five-star spa designed to entertain and pamper you at all times. This is a boot camp designed to help you live your best life. In a gorgeous setting. With fantastic people. And I recommend it with all my heart.

Room Tip: Just keep in mind that the rooms are sparse, not plush. And the bathrooms are tiny. But you really...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Dyscrazia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ainsworth Hot Springs
Hume Hotel & Spa
Hume Hotel & Spa
#1 of 10 in Nelson
Prestige Lakeside Resort
Ainsworth Hot Springs Guest House
Ainsworth Hot Springs Guest Hous...
#2 of 5 in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
#3 of 3 in Ainsworth Hot Springs

Been to Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa? Share your experiences!