“Simply the best fitness retreat out there, even for avid athletes”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa
Middlebury, Vermont
“Simply the best fitness retreat out there, even for avid athletes”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

It would be a shame for a prospective client to think that mountain trek is only for the seriously overweight - this is my 3rd visit and the best part is that there is typically a mix of people on the heavier side and very fit people who need a tune up. They always have at least 4 hiking groups so it's no problem even if you come with friends (last time, my friends and I hiked in different groups, but still were together most of the day).

In my case, I'm a mountaineer/all season hiker (just finished all 115 peaks over 4000 feet in the Northeast a few weeks ago), and I train all year, yet thanks to this fantastic combination of hiking (ALL levels), amazing healthful food, detox and stress management, I still managed to lose 7.2 pounds of fat, 6 pounds total, and inches off my waist/hips in the span of one week. If you're an athlete, it's even MORE fun as the hiking is gorgeous and the food filling even though it's about 1200 calories for women, 1400 for men. I was really only hungry at one or two points all week (and was given some extra seeds/nuts to tide me over). The key is that they try to make it a lifetime habit, not a short time weight loss. They give you all the tools for long term success.

The staff is the best you'll find anywhere (I've been to other fitness retreats including the Ashram) - they CARE about each and every guest. The lead guide actually remembered a conversation we had almost 2 years ago on a hike and stays in touch all year. Whether you're overweight and need to change your whole lifestyle (one of our other guests lost 30 pounds in two weeks!) or whether you're already athletic/fit and want to learn how to manage stress/detox and get fitter/leaner, Mountain Trek is your spot. As for as physical settings, no where is as gorgeous. Between massages, great food, lectures, great hiking and fitness classes post dinner, you will FIRE UP your metabolism. I'm 46 and already fit, but I've never felt better and after dropping that extra fat, I feel about 30 years old (and weigh what I did in my 20's/30's!).
Commit to making a life change - it's THAT good!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank VTwelltravelled

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 19 September 2013

What a week! I was very surprised and excited to find my expectations met and exceeded. That rarely happens. This was a very big investment for me and I was very nervous. But, it was money VERY well spent. The location alone is worth going to see. I will keep pictures of Monica's Meadow (our final hike) in my head forever. It was that special.
The week was well planned, challenged me physically (I do crossfit 4-5/week at home), packed full of activities, and offered wonderful spa and hot springs for detox. The lectures were highly informative and all the guides were very passionate and knew the trails back and forth. I loved hearing each guide talk about different plants and the animals in the area. You could feel how much they all loved their job and hiking in the area. The food, though calorie-restriced, was immensely satisfying and delicious (and I used to be a chef, so I love food!) While this is a wellness retreat with focus on detoxing and boosting metabolism, they also talk about the importance of sleep and stress management; it's a real holistic approach.
I highly recommend Mountain Trek for anyone at any level of fitness whether an avid crossfitter like me, or someone who rarely exercises. They customize your hiking trails to suit your level. I reduced my body fat and realized how much my body can do when given all the right nutrients.
The staff really made it special. I felt very taken well taken care of the whole week.

Room Tip: The rooms are a bit small, but you have your own, recently updated bathroom and you don't spend...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank KR1934
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I recently spent one week with my 29 year old daughter at Mountain Trek. I was my fourth time, her first. My first trip, I stayed for one week solo. The second time I stayed for three weeks with my step son. The third time for one week with a friend. And this fourth time, for one week.

My daughter is a marathon runner, and I am a 58 year old regular girl, with all the body changes and medical issues one would expect for a woman of my age. My daughter felt that Mountain Trek would not challenge her enough, and boy was she surprised. Mountain Trek offered trails that challenged even my marathoner. Not only that, the nutrition classes and daily meals taught her more about nutrition than she has ever known. She left fitter than she has ever been. Those were her words!

Mountain Trek always improves my fitness, vitality and outlook. I recommend it wholeheartedly to any one of any fitness level. Everyone improves their fitness, everyone learns amazing things about nutrition and the body, and everyone finds rest and the opportunity to reflect. I lost 4.5 inches from my waist and 9.2 lbs of body fat in one week. My fat percentage ratio dropped by 5% and my waist to hip ratio fell to a level that was lowest risk for disease. IN ONE WEEK! As impressive as these numbers are, especially for a middle aged female, they don't tell the whole story. This area of British Columbia is simply one of the most beautiful venues in the world. A must see. Kirkland Shave, the brave and often barefoot leader, is a speaker with the ability to put entire volumes of information on nutrition and fitness into the most memorable perspective. He is one of the most inspirational persons I have EVER met. Each member of the hiking staff is mature, helpful and kind. Always smiling. Always encouraging. The kitchen staff is beyond compare. My daughter and I found the food to be amazing, even as we were learning how to incorporate often unfamiliar items into a healthy meal. Amazing! Katya's yoga class is the very best. Do buy her DVD! The other guests are always interesting. My experience has been that guests usually bond over the course of a week and many make lasting friendships. Even though my daughter and I were in different hiking groups (the group is broken into four groups depending on fitness levels) we were able to spend meals together, listen to classes together, and do the evening cardio, massage and saunas together. It was a very good experience for us. We even shared a Chinese Face Reading from a doctor of chinese medicine! I am beginning to ramble here, so I will simply say that I cannot recommend Mountain Trek highly enough. It is easily worth the time and money. Do not be afraid ... Kirkland will find a trail (and a "path!") that is just perfect FOR YOU!

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank hchtraveler
Canton, Texas
Reviewed 31 August 2013

What an amazing place! Beautiful scenery! Super supportive staff that challenge and encourage you to reach your full potential! This was my first trip...really did not know what to expect. I had not been very active and was unsure of what my body was capable of doing. I quickly found out. I have never felt more alive and energetic. The schedule is packed with a variety of activities that challenge any fitness level. I will go back...it was worth the investment!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sheila K
Beijing, China
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I've just been back to Mountain Trek for the 2nd time, and each time was for 2 weeks. The programme does exactly what it says on the tin ... weight loss, detox, increased metabolism and improved vitality. 4.5 inches off my waist!
The programme is rigid and packed, which suits me, with each day being a combination of yoga, lectures, hiking and gym classes. There's plenty of variety with the hiking routes and evening exercise classes, while the evening massages and morning yoga help wrinkle out the aches and strains.
All the staff are super friendly and the food, though calorie controlled, feels plentiful and tastes awesome.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Washington, DC
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I just returned from my first time at Mountain Trek (I definitely want to go back) and can't recommend this highly enough. Even though it does seem like a lot of exercise it really isn't that bad. The biggest thing I learned here is how much my body can do. I can do yoga in the morning, hike for four hours and do cardio after dinner and I won't die. I was even able to get up the next day and do it all again. The hiking is at all levels so if you're feeling a little tired one day you can dial it back and if you're feeling good you can push yourself. Up until about eight weeks before this I hadn't exercised in at least 3 years and in those weeks I definitely wasn't pushing myself. I lost six pounds of fat in one week without starving or killing myself.

The food here is really tasty and super healthy and clean. There is a strong focus on clean foods and detoxing the body. I was not really into this idea of "detoxing" prior to this, but I have to say I felt fantastic. One particular thing I noticed was that, despite wearing super heavy sunscreen on my face all week and sweating a good amount, I did not break out at all. That's not something that would have happened before. Even though I was a skeptic, the results of how I feel really changed my mind.

The staff here are all very knowledgable and friendly and really work with you to make sure you are comfortable but still pushing yourself within your limits.

I have spent the last week at home telling everyone I know they need to go to this and am figuring out when I can go again. I only wish I had gone for two weeks instead of one. If you're on the fence about that definitely do two because by the end of week one you're really into it and feel like you get it and can do more and it's easier to do it there than at home.

Room Tip: When they say book early for the best rooms they really mean it. Some rooms are huge with a king be...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank oscarfelix
Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I have been to Mountain Trek two times before. It's been 6 years. I'm turning 60 in September and after a visit to the Dr. I knew I needed to book a visit to Mt. Trek. I went the end of July. It was better than I remembered. I lost 11 pounds of fat, have more energy, I'm stronger and can touch my toes again....the scenery is beautiful....and most important I feel alive again.......Mt. Trek is for all fitness levels. The staff is very supportive and will understanding of your goals. It's a small group so everyone gets one on one.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Ainsworth Motel
Ainsworth Motel
#1 of 3 in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Ainsworth Hot Springs Guest House
Ainsworth Hot Springs Guest Hous...
#2 of 4 in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
#3 of 3 in Ainsworth Hot Springs

Been to Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa? Share your experiences!