“Eye Opening”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I experienced Mountain Trek at Rancho La Puerta in Mexico. If I could do it over again, I would not have let myself be pushed into the more difficult hiking groups. It just made me feel like I was holding the group back. Also, I would have requested that I receive the same amount of food as the men. I lost 6 pounds of fat but it was not pleasant - I felt brain-dead a bunch of the time and couldn't enjoy some of the classes - and I came home and immediately felt the need to eat and put the weight back on. I would rather have lost less weight and done less yo-yo-ing and been able to appreciate the classes. We would be given these wonderfully valuable classes about eating and lifestyle right before dinner but I for one couldn't appreciate them because I had no fuel left in my brain to retain what he was saying. Then the weight training after dinner just seemed to put everyone into a bad mood. Plus Rancho La Puerta offers classes but I didn't have the energy to take any of them. So to summarize, I would do it again but I would do it on my terms.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Joan A

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I spent two weeks at MT in the Summer of 2013. It was a great experience. It was educational, fun and highly memorable. The staff will make will make it a great experience for you personally. You will be challenged, but in the best of ways!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The guides were fantastic, knowledgeable and encouraging. Facility very comfortable and accessible. Food was OUT OF THIS WORLD. All the staff was so accommodating and friendly. The location couldn't be beat.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
MountainTrekRetreat, Guest Relations Manager at Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Slappy325, Thank you so much for your review, and for taking the time to let us know about your Mountain Trek experience. We are so delighted to hear how much you enjoy our Program! Please don’t hesitate to let us know if there’s anything we can do to improve your next retreat with us. We look forward to hiking with you again, whenever that may be, and until then, be well!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Nov. 13
Santa Fe, NM

This specialized fitness resort is quite remarkable in its ability to tailor the program to your individual needs. The staff is marvelous, the nightly talks are eye-opening and the kitchen crew is simply off the charts ! And the Kootenay Lake district is beautiful for hiking, with an expansive system of well-maintained trails.

I did a one week course, arriving full of caffeine, nicotine and frequently wolfing down an entire bottle of wine at night. I didn't really need to loose weight, but I've been back home nearly a month now and am caffeine free, nicotine free, 99% alcohol free and down 10 pounds. No cravings whatsoever and totally hooked on Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice Chai Tea.

The lodge is very comfortable and comes with some great features, including the little black bear which strolled across the lawn on our last night as if on cue. (I think Kirk, the manager, has him trained to do this, but I couldn't find the remote control . . . )

If you need a kick start in a lovely setting at a very comfortable lodge, this is the place !

Jim Robins, Age 65
Santa Fe, NM

Room Tip: Get a lake view on the 2nd floor !
4  Thank robinsnet
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I have done one week with Mountain Trek in BC, Canada and the only complaint I have is - I wish I have done two!!
This is amazing place - beautifully located in the mountains, by the lake, quiet, secluded and away from it all. But the best thing is the program and the people who ran it.
The days are quite challenging and full on, early get ups and all days filled with walking, yoga, fitness classes, strength classes and lectures. But it also takes you back to basics - if you want to lose weight you have to work... hard.
The location, beautiful trails and very supportive guides make all the difference during the tough hikes, but you work hard and sweat a lot and you can feel your gut shrinking while you walk up.
The food is amazing, all organic and local and freshly prepared, MT caters to any alergies possible. The food portions are small but you eat frequently to make sure you do not get (too) hungry. Eating again takes you back to basics, you discover that you can eat much less than most people usually do and still can hike, do yoga and a fitness class. It really made me think about how much I usually eat with maybe 1 hour activity per day, no wonder we store so much fat on our bodies.
The days end with massages, saunas and hot springs, it is more than just a nice touch for the tired bodies but a part of carefully design detoxification plan. I sometimes struggled to stay awake through massages after the whole day of activities.
People behind Mountain Trek are amazing and truly inspirational, the lectures by Kirkland, Cathy and Jen will stay with me for a long time. Things we forgot about nature, nutrition, society, life. Again, a lot I took from the lectures were back to basics stuff.
I had an amazing time and feel so much better after attending the retreat, I am also really inspired and have learnt so many new things i want to incorporate in my life to make myself healthier and better.
I think anyone will benefit from this program and the fact that for most people it is such a success with weight loss just gives you a sping in your step to implement it at home. Also by the end of your time in MT you get very well prepared on how to take the program home, what to do, what not to do.

2  Thank Inia765
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Before I attended Mountain Trek's fitness program I was working out every day with my Bowflex revolution and Bowflex Treadclimber. As a Registered Nurse I felt I was conscious about my food choices. Struggling to lose 10lbs and just not feeling great about my body image. I read up on Mountain Trek Fitness Resort and spoke to a fellow co-worker who attended their program. I was concerned about going as I am not athletic at all, and had never hiked before in my life. I purchased all the items recommended on their check list and headed out to Ainsworth, British Columbia.

I was a little overwhelmed at first. I had no idea that flying into Castlegar would be difficult. I learnt very fast that Castlegar is also known as "Cancel-gar". I would suggest that if you are booking a trip to Mountain Trek be aware of the Castlegar's airport reputation and have a back-up plan, in case your flight is cancelled. I arrived a day late due to flight cancellations. The transport complications were worth every minute after arriving to this beautiful, breathtaking resort. I was welcomed in and enjoyed my first delicious meal upon arriving. Following my meal I had to get orientated quickly and started my strength training with the rest of the group.

The days go quickly at Mountain Trek because they are all highly structured and planned. You are provided with an outline of the entire week. My first couple days I thought to myself I'm not sure this program is for me. As the days progressed and my body started changing so did my emotions. We were taught about metabolism, nutrition, fitness, detoxification, sleep, stress management and goal setting. The classes took place in a comfortable setting and the lessons were very interesting and comprehendible. Questions and participation were invited at all times.

Hiking in the Kootenay mountains was enchanting. It was mystical and surreal. I seen nature at it's finest. Some areas looked like they belonged in a fairy tale. The team guides are knowledgable and give historical insight while hiking through their beautiful trails. Be prepared to work hard the entire time you are at Mountain Trek, but don't forget it will be worth the sweat! They have a quote on a wood block in the gym that states "Sweat is fat crying". I have learned to love that statement. This becomes the truth at Mountain Trek, especially on your last day when you weigh out and see the results. It truly is an accomplishment. The entire program is inspirational as well as the staff.
I felt supported not only by the staff, but from the other guests. We were an excellent group of guests that encouraged each other throughout the week.

The entire Mountain Trek Team is approachable and they want you to excel! They find satisfaction in seeing the transformation and helping the group succeed on their journey. Staffing includes kitchen, team guides on the hikes, yoga instructors, massage therapists, dieticians, kinesiologists, workout instructors, housekeeping, and many more all working extremely hard to provide you the best experience possible. The food is delectable and a great opportunity to open your pallet. It consists of the best organic, free range and local foods. If you enjoy a meal, that isn't listed in the program guide, the kitchen staff have a list and that you can sign up on and they will provide you with the recipes via email.

Accommodations are clean, comfortable and relaxing. Daily laundry services are offered. There is multiple options provided for daily detoxing including Ainsworth Hot Springs, a hot tub, steam room, dry sauna and infrared sauna. The detox at this resort even include using electronic devices. Emails, texting and phone calls are limited to guests rooms. This was a awesome concept to detox from all the negative media in the news, the daily emails that pile up, and the pressures of having to constantly answer somebody. Having said that, cell phones were allowed only for picture taking in the common areas and on hikes.

If you are contemplating whether to book with Mountain Trek Fitness Resort or not, I would highly recommend it. If lifestyle change and gaining self confidence is in your thoughts you need to come experience this program. If you don't learn anything during your stay you probably have a negative attitude and are not willing to change. I have heard so many people complain about the cost of this program, but they don't understand why until you go through the Mountain Trek journey. It truly is a personalized and intimate atmosphere with having a smaller group to teach. It's 100% worth the money when you realize the health benefits of your future. Too many people will spend money on other pointless objects that have no affect in their life. I became aware of what I was doing wrong in my exercising and eating habits. I came home full of knowledge and have changed my life for the better. I will never forget the motto "You are what you absorb". It's a powerful statement. I thank Mountain Trek for all the inspirational and motivational coaching I have received. Once I get past my wedding next summer, I'm saving my pennies to come back!

3  Thank Heather H
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Just came back from a week retreat at Mountain Trek facility in British Columbia. My partner and I enjoyed every minute of it and definitively exceeded our expectations.
The routine is quite demanding including early raising and challenging trails. You definitively have to be an active person to cope with the program
Kirk and their crew are super enthusiastic and great motivation. The program is filled with one hour lectures on nutrition, stress management, sleep, etc... which we found really helpful. The daily routine including early yoga, 4-5 hours hiking, after dinner gym workout and evening massages is very balanced and does not leave much room for distractions.
The food intake is controlled to the detail and the kitchen folks and nutritionists do really make a very good job ensuring that variety and taste are not compromised.
The facility is well equipped with a superb gym and yoga studio, dry sauna, exterior hot tub, massage rooms and steam room. The common areas are cozy and comfortable with great views of Lake Kootenay and great scenery.
The hiking part is demanding and be prepared to be pushed. The crew assesses your fitness level and sends you out with one of the four different groups every day. The group guides are very good, all local and very knowledgeable of the mountain. You have lunch in the mountain every day in some amazing locations in a remote lake beach or up in a hill with fantastic views.
The visits to the nearby Hot Springs just 5 minutes away some nights were an absolute treat as well.
My partner and I will definitively be back; we've learnt quite a bit about healthy habits and tips that are relatively easy to incorporate in our daily routines. These guys also do a very efficient job in ensuring that you take those with you and keep connected with Mountain Trek through newsletters and emails that enhance and expand the experience at the Lodge.
Definitively an excellent kick start for a turn in your health life.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
#3 of 3 in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Ainsworth Hot Springs Guest House
Ainsworth Hot Springs Guest Hous...
#2 of 5 in Ainsworth Hot Springs

Been to Mountain Trek Fitness Retreat & Health Spa? Share your experiences!