“Coming home”

Mermaid Lodge & Motel
Isla de Vieques, Puerto Rico
“Coming home”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I've been making the pilgrimage to Mermaid Lodge for roughly 33 years now and hadn't been back in awhile. I was so happy to see that Marsha and Neil still own and run the inn and it felt like coming home to an Auntie's house! Not much has changed in the upper rooms though I hear the kitchenettes have been remodeled. And that's what the charm is. Character, warmth, value, friendliness, hominess are becoming rare commodities in the hospitality biz. Yes, our room was dated but it was immaculate, well supplied, lovingly tended. And the view is spectacular, access great, grounds beautiful and private deck outstanding. I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot by sharing this secret since I don't want it discovered and even moreso I don't want whiny discontents to muck up the little paradise Marsha and Neil have created. Be aware it's NOT a chain or modern hotel--for that I'd advise the nearby Ainsworth Resort hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
winnipeg
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Very nice folks run this worn ramshackle gem. Clean, bed is super comfy, and lodge mere steps from hot springs and excellent restaurant. Million dollar view from balcony. Towels are available if you go to hot springs

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We came to Ainsworth for two nights....and stayed for five instead. The owners Marsha and Neil made us feel right at home. Our suite was very private, with a balcony overlooking the lake. The lodge is one minute walk to the Hot Springs. Even with buying passes to the springs, we saved money verses staying in the main hotel. Our room had a nice kitchen with everything in it. Marsha recommended us to have dinner at the local JB Pub. It was excellent! I would go back tomorrow, if I could. Attractions are close to the hotel. A ferry will take you to Belford (don't forget to find Glass House), Fletchers Waterfall, Mirror Lake, Cody Caves, cute town Kaslo - is a 10 - 25 min from the lodge. Thank you Marsha and Neil, we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

What a gem! Very comfortable atmosphere and the leading lady Marsha is a peach! She even phoned the Local Pub JB's (which was also delicious food and wonderful service) for us to get late night food:) The Suite was comfortable and roomy with a beautiful deck out looking the lake! We definately enjoyed this quiet little location which is 30m from Ainsworth Hot Springs!

1 Thank Mellow77
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

My 11 year old grandson immediately said it smelled of smoke & was not clean. I did not want to complain & said it was better than paying more than double elsewhere. The following morning I could hardly breath walked out the door & was appalled to see a pike of liqueur bottles, crates on the walls filled with empty cans. Broken down washers in the walkway, deplorable conditions. I've stayed in better in the dumps of Mexico. When I wiped spilled water from the kitchen floor the paper towel was black. Just could not believe what I was seeing.
We moved to a very nice room at the Ainsworth Motel.

1 Thank Travelmow
MermaidMotel, Owner at Mermaid Lodge & Motel, responded to this review, 6 July 2013
We were very sorry this guest was not pleased with her accommodation and not feeling well. We assured her that all our units were non-smoking units but sometimes a guest will sneak a cigarette in to a room without our knowledge or control. When I explained that I always check the rooms when I strip them for cleaning and am a non-smoker myself, she replied that my husband was a smoker and I would therefore, not be able to smell cigarette smoke. Perhaps she was very sensitive to many different doors and if we are aware of that in advance, we can make sure that no strong cleaning solutions are used. We take pride in encouraging recycling around our motel and the photo's taken by this guest all show the back door area of her unit and the storage of recycled bottles & cans that are taken to a recycling centre each week. We offered this guest a special discount for her discomfort as she did not want to check out a different unit for another night's stay. Since her stay, all our motel kitchenettes have been renovated with re-painting and re-furnishing of plush queen beds for our guests additional comfort and we can only hope our smoking guests will refrain from smoking in our units, as posted in each unit.
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This was right next door to Ainsworth Hotsprings. The room was perfect for my family. Two Beds in our our kitchenette room. The view from our balcony was breathtaking. The motel over looks Kokanee lake. There are several places to eat great food just a walk from the motel. There was trails to walk around and take in the fresh air and wilderness.

Lone Butte, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Our stay at the Mermaid Lodge right beside Ainsworth Hot Springs Pool and Caves was one of the most reasonable deals we have had for a long time. The units are functional clean and well kept. The scenery from all the units we saw are in the realm of a world class mountain resort dwelling. The patrons Marsha and Neil are not your stereo typical stuffed business dolls. But real mountain folk patrons ready to tell a local story, or make you more comfortable at the drop of a hat. No you are not at a five star hotel with the schedules and pressures of modern life, but a homey country inn where the pressures of life seem to drop away after a soak in the springs next door and a good sleep waking up to the sun shining into your unit from the mountain tops. After a while we got so relaxed we just sat around in the Mermaids hot tub and ejoyed the views and night time stories with other patrons, over a nice cold beer after the kids were asleep.
Keith and Donna
The Cariboo BC

Room Tip: We decided to rent the kichenettes we had the first two next to the hot tub. It worked out like a d...